Web-comments-601-700

# SenderID Ref.# Comment Tool Date Comment
WC-601 WID-866 W-ba712632-dcb0-4ad9-bdbc-cab0a5138912 Draft EIS 12/11/2007 3:02:00 PM We live at the confluence of Mill and Gooseneck Creeks in Polk County and have recently had a flood event larger than any we have experienced in the past 20 years; several feet higher than the one in 1996. The view out our livingroom is of Mill Creek Ridge; it is good to see it covered with young trees and no evidence of recent clearcuts. I hope it continues so under future BLM management. I don´t think it is a coincidence that Mill Creek, Salt Creek, Rickreal Creek, and the Little Lukiamute had very high water on December 3, 2007 inspite of the fact that the amount of rain was less than in several past events. These watersheds have seen greatly impacted by increased logging because of the shortened rotation periods on Weyerhaueser lands. As a matter of fact Polk County had a higher harvest volume in 2004 than at any time in the past (Oregon´s Timber Harvest 1849-2004; ODF) and it doesn´t look to me that it has slowed this pace in the past 3 years. I went to Fanno Meadows in the Coast Range in June of this year for a weed pull and was shocked to see how the Little Lukiamute drainage had changed since I first visited it 25 years ago! Where was the forest? Range 7 W; Township 7 S has the following approximate ownerships in sections: BLM 20 or about 55%; Weyerhaueser 12; Boise Cascade 3, and GDS 1. So far as I can determine the only recreation on these lands is during hunting season; other than that the gates are locked and controlled by private industry. I would like to be able to visit my lands during any season. There are flowers, waterfalls, mushrooms, and other interesting aspects of these lands. This also applies to other O&C lands as well as to a bit of Siuslaw National Forest west of Dallas. As for the alternatives, I prefer in order: 1. No Action No Change - give it a chance, it is only 12 years old 2. Alternative 3 I like 360 year old trees but what is the chance of any plan lasting that long? See #1 3. Alternative 1 the lesser of two bad choices; at least it has more late successional reserve, more riparian buffer, and less timber management area than alternative 2 4. Alternative 2 harvest level too high; rotations too short; salvage after disturbance allowed in successional management areas
WC-602 WID-868 W-5a67eb58-d94f-4ad6-b3f2-b32e8edcfabe Draft EIS 12/11/2007 3:47:00 PM I would like to submit a plan that calls for keeping as much as a "wilderness" designation as possible. The current adminstration is nothing more than a industrial and corporate hand maiden. I normally worry about any "updated" or "revised" plans emanating from the Bush administration as probably nothing more than a corporate agenda. The five members of the Casey family support keeping as much of our forest lands as wild and natural as possible with timber cutting in areas that will have the least impact on the species present. Thank you, Sincerely, Larry Casey and Family
WC-603 WID-876 W-d85aebaf-0278-4418-92ba-45315bd49c51 File Upload 12/12/2007 1:36:00 PM

Uploaded File:  BLM WOPR Comments.doc
WC-604 WID-877 W-7e817c4b-2619-45a1-9b3b-6562e70e058b Draft EIS 12/12/2007 4:44:00 PM Please do NOT cut or log any old-growth on any BLM lands in Western Oregon ever, scrap the WOPR plan, DO NOT destroy or cut any trees on any BLM lands ever in Western Oregon, Keep the Old-Growth trees forever on BLM lands in western oregon intact forever, DON'T CUT THEM AT ALL, thankyou, save them, leave these lands alone, do not cut any old growth at all, thankyou. Stu Phillips, Eugene, leave the trees alone, they serve a purpose far greater intact and growing, leave them alone, thankyou. Stu, leave it be, thankyou! Stu.
WC-605 WID-823 None Interactive Map 12/13/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_parttime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-606 WID-883 None Interactive Map 12/13/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: Just wanted to voice my opinion on the suggested OHV emphasis area that encompassess 825,000 acres in the Southern Oregon area. Much of the proposed area is crucial wintering ground for many different species of animals. Quad use would harass and disturb much of this. It would be nice to see a trial area of these conditions and some environmental impack statements that go with the data. I strongly suggest restructing this proposal. It's way to nice of ground to be destroyed by quads..
WC-607 WID-884 W-cb2c7cd1-2650-4707-aecd-b74112091863 Draft EIS 12/13/2007 2:04:00 PM Please revisit the proposals on OHV areas. There are many areas better served by these destructive machines. Clearly, this goes against the BLM'S Mission Statement to sustain the health and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.
WC-608 WID-879 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-609 WID-879 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: Am not in concert at all with any plans in disrupting the natural environment with off-highway vehicles facilities currently proposed for the area off Draper Valley Road in Selma. The area I most vehemently oppose are any modifications to the BLM land area south-west of Draper Valley Rd%3B the acoustical effects due to the geographic "lay-of-the-land" greatly magnify noises%2Fsounds emminating from the upper part of the hill%2Fmountain%3B e.g., the sounds of the chain saws when BLM is "thinning" the area is greatly magnified to the area below. Furthermore, am concerned about the impact on the natural habitat of birds, and other animal residents of the area%3B e.g, coyotes, racoons, foxes, squirrels, quail, turkeys, possums, skunks, cougars, bears, etc.
WC-610 WID-879 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans: Area of interest%2Fconcern%2Fopposition%3A opening BLM lands off Draper Valley Road in Selma to off-highway vehicles%3B concerned about environmental impact due to increased traffic, noise, and the displacement of current non-human residents%3B i.e., wild life.
WC-611 WID-825 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_government|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: To turn this into a "timber management" area would by a crying shame%3B it's one of the most majestic tracts of old-growth left in the Siuslaw drainage. Instead of logging it you should be encouraging residents to explore it. Both Pugh Creek and Saleratus Creek should be preserved just as they are.
WC-612 WID-897 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: I used to live in Rogue River. I backpacked a lot, and still intend to now that i have moved to Eugene.|tb_gen_ans: We have so little wild land left--it seems it is all becoming plantations--and people just need to have wide, wild spaces where they can get out and see wildlife, and wild plants, and know that they won't hear a chain saw or see a "regeneration" cut.
WC-613 WID-897 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: used to live in southern Oregon, and i love all that area|tb_gen_ans: My residence used to border BLM land, and I understand about matrix timber. However, it is time to make a transition in this country for many reasons, global warming not the least. One way we can achieve this is to encourage smaller woodlot management, leased to smaller groups of individuals, not corporations. I have to go for now, but i hope to return to comment extensively on the WOPR.
WC-614 WID-898 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_ohv|tb_gen_ans: My family has used this area for over forty years it's relatively close to home. The abilty to go and ride out in the woods with friend's and family really allows us to relax and take some stress out of our daily life
WC-615 WID-898 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: Please leave this area open so my family has a place to ride.
WC-616 WID-898 None Interactive Map 12/14/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|cb_ohv|tb_gen_ans: Please develop this area so my family has a place to ride. Because as I get older I find it harder and harder to get out and walk in the forrest for any length of time. But I can ride my bike for hours and get to see all the wildlife in the forrest.
WC-617 WID-889 W-9a593ca8-6ecd-4bae-8d0c-5dc6579b2b25 Draft EIS 12/14/2007 12:44:00 AM Thank you. There is no reason to log old-growth trees. There is no way to "replace" these intricate, complex areas of our forests. Logging old growth is needless destruction of an irreplaceable part of our precious natural heritage. The only possible excuse for destroying old-growth areas is greed and inflexibility. Haven't we grown up by now? Do we care about future generations, or just about immediate profit? What about beauty? What about awe and wonder? It isn't enough that the ice caps are melting? We also have to destroy our own nest, right here? There is no acceptable reason to log old growth. Period. Jackie Melvin
WC-618 WID-476 W-016508a4-42de-4e32-abb1-0e915ede9778 Draft EIS 12/14/2007 8:31:00 AM I do not favor any of the alternatives. All will have a negative effect, sometimes profoundly so, on forest sustainablity, water quality, recreational use, destruction of more old growth and so on. The only possible justification for the alternatives to the Northwest Forest Plan is to open up more land to logging roads and strip-mining timber, some of it old growth. It is despicable, especially at a time when trees, the significant CO2 depleter, are more and more necessary to our survival. It is time to stop feeding the timber industry and starving the general population.
WC-619 WID-895 W-1ca10264-c7ee-4e25-bb45-fd85b0389ad0 File Upload 12/14/2007 12:33:00 PM

Uploaded File:  Western Oregon Plan Revision.doc
WC-620 WID-898 W-944335cd-6bbd-4b41-a096-89fc7f094d44 Draft EIS 12/14/2007 2:04:00 PM First of all my comments will be about the John's peak area. My family has been using the area for 40 plus years riding OHV's and when there is concern about the water shed it seem the first place that is responsible are the trails we ride on. But what about the land owner's that are allowed to go in cut most of the timber,bulldoze the hillside and then you get worried about all the runoff into the stream's.
WC-621 WID-903 None Interactive Map 12/15/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans:
WC-622 WID-903 None Interactive Map 12/15/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans: we need the carbon left in the trees, not in the atmosphere. use the forest as a carbon sink and trade carbon credits to industries for money to help support county governments.
WC-623 WID-903 None Interactive Map 12/15/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Use Table at pushpin 946: siuslaw runs through my property. needs more trees not less for sediment and temperature control among other things.
WC-624 WID-904 None Interactive Map 12/15/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_ohv|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_onceamonth|tb_gen_ans: Anderson Butte makes a great OHV area because of scenic beauty of the area and the differenting types of trails, from beginner trails to advanced.
WC-625 WID-904 None Interactive Map 12/15/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_ohv|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans: Johns' Peak%2FTimber MT is great OHV loction because it offers a wide varity of terrain for people to ride. It also offers trails that connect to each other, which are highly favorable. OHV's are another way families can do things together. .
WC-626 WID-904 W-936ac9cb-5e99-4463-8a74-4a5fcdee3fd0 Draft EIS 12/15/2007 12:44:00 PM I think the BLM really needs to keep as much land open to multi use as possible. Closing area from OHV use will really hurt families who use OHV activity as a way of bonding. In Jackson County we have a huge program going to keep kids and adults off drugs. We start taking away their activities then we courage them to do others things like drugs. I personally have friends who are recovering drug and alcohol addicts and OHV's are their tools to keep them sober.
WC-627 WID-908 W-dcf7c1a7-08ec-4c28-94d4-abcb746af9e9 Draft EIS 12/15/2007 4:46:00 PM I've been an Oregon resident since 1951 and in recent decades have seen several attempts by the logging industry to change governmental policy to allow them to log publicly-owned old growth timber. This is one such effort and I reject it for the damage it will do to old growth timber stands currently being held in the public trust. Your DEIS radically changes the timber buffers for streams generally and removes any practical protections for smaller streams. This degrades water quality protection for current streams and does nothing to protect any BLM streams already under criticism for previous logging pollution. Your current water problems are very obvious just a few miles from my ranch. The clearcutting you propose will devastate forests and their watersheds. I've watched the Bush Administration cynically build a case for logging old growth timber stands (which are fire resistant) in favor of replanting plantations that are dry weather tinderboxes. The Bush Administration doesn't care but I would think that BLM could see that old growth stands with their relatively thinner undercover as well as more fire resistant trunks are precisely those that should be protected. Your wildlife protections in all three alternatives are inadequate. I should know a little bit about this since I run an Oregon State Open Space Wildlife Habitat. R. Stephen Dorsey
WC-628 WID-910 W-fd99e3a9-7f8c-46c4-94b3-0f2dea6eba7d Draft EIS 12/15/2007 10:23:00 PM I am not in favor of any of the proposed WOPR alternatives as non of them provide for sustainable forest management. A complete rethink on how forests are managed must be initiated. A stay of clear cutting must be implemented until the annual productive capacity of western Oregons forest's can be accurately determined with other than a private interest method of measure. Current method of measure for forest productivity has resulted in the following. Private interest over harvest of their own lands that creates fall back and over harvest of public (BLM) lands. In western Oregon this creates cyclical boom and bust with in local economies. Until new methods of managing western Oregons forests can be developed, economic imbalance will prevail and western Oregon will continue to be incapapble of supporting or improving its own environment, infrastructure and culture. Stop Clear cuttting (Regeneration Harvesting??)!!!. This antiquated method of forest "management" at the very least, removes biomass necessary to absorb excessive precipitation, which has resulted in 4 one hundred year flood events in western Oregon within the last decade. How much topsoil has runoff, reduced land productivity and buried our once productive fish hatching waterways. Environmental imbalance. How about forest management based on biomass rather than board feet? A plan based on biomass would have a much better chance of longterm economic and diverse environmental stability than current management practice. Long term carbon sequestration (carbon credit tax breaks) within the forest and cellulosic ethanol would be a pieces of the puzzle that slide into a balanced forestry management plan. It does not appear that the sustainable productive capacity of western Oregon forests has been quantified, therefore the O&C initial mandate has not been met and "max" (by 1937 standards) harvestable timber is set at 500mmbf. At this time "No Action" choice should be the very highest level of harvest. Nonharvest land thinings for No Action would be 87 mmbf Harvest land would be 268 mmbf under No Action. No Action total is 355mmbf, 71% of max allowable. Really very reasonable until the current "patchwork, regeneration harvest" system, utilized by BLM and its contractors can be re-evaluated and managed for true sustainability. The No-Action status quo is in and of itself unacceptable as it does nothing to introduce new harvest technology or efficient biomass utilization. New methods of biomass management for long term, diverse forest must be implemented. Thank you allowing public input. Seth Moody
WC-629 WID-913 None Interactive Map 12/16/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-630 WID-914 W-cc437179-2445-4bfc-8929-c547c68a5317 File Upload 12/16/2007 2:00:00 PM

Uploaded File:  Elliott Creek Proposal Comments.doc
WC-631 WID-916 W-79eb3971-373a-42c0-99ab-8836ffa977b8 Draft EIS 12/16/2007 6:47:00 PM Regarding the off-road designations, I really can't believe that any organization with a knowledge of soils and watersheds could seriously consider EVER allowing these off-road vehicles into a rural forest. Are you kidding? Seriously. It's just beyond my comprehension that they're even allowed anywhere, much less a forested area. The destruction from these vehicles is devastating and complete, and should not be permitted in Oregon's forests at all.
WC-632 WID-918 W-3d0bba7d-ddd0-40ce-9361-72c278beda47 Draft EIS 12/16/2007 9:10:00 PM For one most of these are assumption theres no proof that recreational vehicls are causing these problems! and furthermore for the peaple who complain about noise where they live, you shouldent move next to public land and then complain about what its used for i mean i cant move in next to the airport the complain to them and say your airplanes are to loud! why dose that make since? 90% of all recreational off-road vehicle riders are considerate and follow the rules they have improved spark arresting mufflers so we wont start wild fires,and also to reduce noise, plus there are closuers during fire season to help stop wild fires.Also you keep talking about conflict with visiters and horse back riders most visiters and horse back riders don't venture where we ride they have no reason to, plus this is public land and for those of use who DON'T ABUSE IT!It shouldndt be taken away from us if there are closuers and limitations there are going to be more crowded areas which will mean more accidents because there will be less room for us to ride and alot of these areas your closing will affect our abbilitie to have any opritunitie to ride.Off road vehicles are more than just fun or recreation its also a sport its also excercise its so much more than just riding a motercycle or quad for some its how we get closer to our loved ones our kids our parents and because a few peaple complained and whined because they live near public land or you think where causing damadge to the envirement when there is no evidnce that we are causing it.The point is there are no problems wiht what riders are doing theres no point to restrict what we do peaple just regret moving to close to public land and refuse to leave because they dont like somthing they brought on them selves.
WC-633 WID-918 None Web Forum Exit 12/16/2007 9:24:00 PM i should be able to type more than 3,000 words for a comment
WC-634 WID-921 None Interactive Map 12/17/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Fish: Alternatives propose thinning on slopes above riparian areas in the ALthouse Creek watershed. THis has and will continue to increase erosion and will further degrade fish habitat for endangered Coho populations.%0DPrevious logging has led to culvert failures and loss acreage on my privately owned land due to erosion and rain-on snow events. %0DOpening canopy on slopes above riparian zones as proposed in WOPR will increase soil exposure so to increase direct rain-on-snow contact. Increased melting leads to erosion, flooding, landslides.%0DActions will harm fish and human habitat integrity
WC-635 WID-923 None Interactive Map 12/17/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: We need to keep this areas protected with the strongest regulations. We must maintain watershed protections and keep logging away from some our most amazing low elevation old growth areas.
WC-636 WID-930 None Interactive Map 12/17/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_parttime|cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-637 WID-921 None Web Forum Exit 12/17/2007 11:35:00 AM not clear how to move east, west, north south, once the maps are in view - get stuck zooming in and out but not able to drag to new location or navigate with arrows because there are none
WC-638 WID-925 W-ca5d2832-2afd-4404-81f0-d20dc3d86d65 Draft EIS 12/17/2007 1:38:00 PM I am very concerned about this plan, in fact it feels like a complete farce to me. Clearly we have overlogged in our country as a whole let alone in Oregon and the pacific northwest. Money is what is bring this plan to us, not what is best for ecosystems, wildlife and thus sustainble economics and balance for human health. I am a health educator in town and have studied ecosystem health in great detail and we are on a very reckless road with this new plan and I am not in support of ANY cutting of old growth (what little is left here) and will do whatever I can within my means to educate others about the human health impacts of ecosystem destruction and what we as humans (with the greedy leading the way) have done to the only planet we have to live on. It is high time for BLM and the Whitehouse backers of this plan to get a clue from the polls in our country and wise up. People do care about clean water, air and less pollution, tell me how this plan replenishes any of these systems that we depend on, when you can, I will support it. However,I am very sure that you cannot, please consider deeply your decisions about destroying the last of our old growth (any of it), you will have to live with the consequences of what happens to the systems that already are clearly in decline with other human impacts like global climate instability. Is this what you want for your children and grandchildren? It's time to wake up and do the right thing for all of humanity. Sincerely, Susie Cousar
WC-639 WID-926 W-407a243d-982c-4a6f-9776-d52ed1bc8274 Draft EIS 12/17/2007 2:26:00 PM I much prefer the "No-action alternative." Clear cutting is not the answer! Narrowing the buffers along the waterways is not the answer!
WC-640 WID-927 W-528fc06f-7574-49fc-a9c3-5245dc7fed45 Draft EIS 12/17/2007 3:40:00 PM I HAVE GROWNUP IN THIS VALLEY,I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED GETTING OUT OF THE VALLEY AWAY FROM THE CITY. I AND MANY OF MY FRIENDS ENJOY GOING 4WHEELIN(WE HAVE JEEPS,ETC. EVEN GOING UP IN THE MOUNTAINS I ENJOY BEING ABLE TO GO WHERE A LOT OF PEOPLE CANT GO. ELIMINATING 5 OF THESE AREAS IS GONG TO FUNNEL A LOT OF PEOPLE INTO JUST A FEW AREAS. MOTORCYCLES&ATV'S DONT ALWAYS GO WELL WITH FULL SIZE RIGS GOING DOWN NARROW ROADS OR TRAILS. EDERBERRY FLATS IS GREAT FOR CYCLES & ATVS. THERE IS NOT A LARGE AREA OF SOME OF MUD THAT WE HAVE AROUND THIS VALLEY THERE. LAKE CREEK IS A GREAT AREA FOR THAT. NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT AREA IS UNDER CONSIDERATION. BUT WHERE WE GO NOBODY GOES THERE EXCEPT 4WHEELERS & HUNTERS.THE AREA IS ALREADY FULL OF RUTS & MUDDY AREAS & HAVENT SEEN ANY FIRES UP THERE OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. ITS THE SAME OLD STORY SOME RUIN IT FOR THE MAJORITY. IT IS THE FEW THAT TRASH THE HILLS AND DISRESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY. MABY BETTER BOUNDRIES TO SHOW BLM AND PRIVATE LAND. I SEE APPLIANCES AND ALL SORTS OF JUNK DUMPED.BUT IM NOT FOR CLOSING OF THE MOUNTAINS BECAUSE OF THIS. FOR ONE THING I PAY TAX DOLLARS TO BLM AND I FEEL I HAVE A RIGHT TO ENJOY THE MOUNTAINS, EVEN IF THE WAY I ENJOY THEM ISN'T THE WAY SOMEBODY ELSE AGREES WITH.I HAVE SEEN AREAS WHERE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GOING WHEELIN FOR 40 YEARS, AND YOU KNOW WHAT? WILDLIFE ABOUNDS,TREES ARE STILL THERE.
WC-641 WID-931 W-4ad73b97-9589-410f-ad00-ec0dadba6e01 File Upload 12/17/2007 7:48:00 PM

Uploaded File:  comments.doc
WC-642 WID-936 W-cfb291d6-3594-4adb-8bf5-49204a31bc02 Draft EIS 12/18/2007 12:19:00 PM Please keep these OHV areas open! Myself, family members and friends live in Northern California and we have been frequenting the Oregon OHV areas for nearly 20 years.
WC-643 WID-935 4953b7f8-eca9-4265-a89e-03240087f747 File Upload 12/18/2007 12:49:00 PM

Uploaded File:  wopr1.doc
WC-644 WID-937 e72dbbd1-3062-4b3a-880f-b1d67694d8cc File Upload 12/18/2007 2:26:00 PM

Uploaded File:  wopr comnt.pdf
WC-645 WID-937 W-b6bd3e48-dcff-4cb0-ac1e-00bc7a6f88cf Draft EIS 12/18/2007 7:17:00 PM There were many more sites than 20 but you refused the documentation done by qualified people who tried to show you what you missed.
WC-646 WID-940 W-715ccfe2-36fb-43b9-99cf-981350b646e9 Draft EIS 12/18/2007 8:40:00 PM This action is very troubling. Please do not go forward with alternative 2. Perhaps changing jurisdiction would enable BLM to follow its own directive on some of the land while properly allocated sensitive lands could be forever preserved under executive order. I am resubmitting a friend's comments to highlight his words: The BLM's preferred alternative, number 2, would generate a net value of $962 million over 50 years. Conversely, we are spending $275 million per day on the war in Iraq. Why should we destroy our forests to generate less money in half a century than we are spending in a less than a week in a war that the public opposes? I call on the BLM to consider alternatives to the alternatives. Instead of basing our economy on the destruction of an irreplacable resources, we could bring about economic development and reach timber quotas through selective thinning, increased focus on non-timber forest products, and encouragement of ecotourism on BLM land.
WC-647 WID-942 8700472c-c687-4c20-af8c-91878d4a9a20 Draft EIS 12/18/2007 9:10:00 PM I just read "end of the trails?" article in the tribune. I am concerned with Gilmour's recommendations. I am pro offroad vehical use. The Johns Peak area should be accessable for this use. I have not riden there in the last 10 years. But, when I was, the local riding club owned property and developed a parking area specificly for that use. At some of the meetings, I found out that they had also purchaced two quads for the BLM, for the purpose of patroling and managing that area. Unfortunately, those quads turned-up missing from the BLM storage/parking area. The riding club was helping and promoting the surrounding lands. And I heard and participated in some of those programs. From my experience, those riding areas are used mainly by offroad vehicals, hunters, wood cutters (private and logging), and people shooting weapons at targets. If these are the main groups using these areas, why are you wanting to restrict them? Are they not a sub-grouping of the public, and suppose to have access to the lands? Danny Swanson
WC-648 WID-943 W-f3f64164-c6d1-40e5-88b0-7eb816cff63d Draft EIS 12/18/2007 9:24:00 PM Our club caters to families that ride mostly dirt bikes but also a few quads. We host our rides mostly in the NW corner of the state but do hold an annual week long event in central Oregon. People come from as far south as Sacramento but are winded by the time they make it. We have considered hosting a similar camp out in the John's Peak are since it is established and users are mostly quite responsible with regard to the habitat and citizens that live near by. With so many years of established trails and use, I cannot see why there would be immediate need to close any of the area down or where the pressure from displaced users would be absorbed. This are can certainly be maintained far into the foreseeable future with current and developing management strategies. Federal land is multiple-use land and recreation has it place in the mix. Please consider proposals put forward for the responsible management of the areas currently under consideration for use and\or closure. Sincerely, Kent Swick
WC-649 WID-913 None Interactive Map 12/19/2007 12:00:00 AM tb_gen_ans:
WC-650 WID-913 None Interactive Map 12/19/2007 12:00:00 AM tb_gen_ans:
WC-651 WID-945 369ad00b-df66-406c-8dff-ec2a5d10ce49 File Upload 12/19/2007 9:32:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Bureau of Land Management.doc
WC-652 WID-950 None Interactive Map 12/20/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: I would like to express my disapproval of the plan to make the forest land east of Draper Valley Road in Selma, an Off-Highway Vehicle Emphasis Area%21 This is in Section 31 and is one of the nicest, quietest areas in Selma. Why put such a noise making area next to prime residential properties%3F%3F%0DThere must be other more remote areas to designate for this type of usage rather then in one of the quietest residential areas. %0DOur property values will decrease and the constant noise from ATVs and motorcycles would be unacceptable to anyone. There must be some other land available that would not have a negative impact on the residents, whle giving the off road users a good place to play.%0DThanks,%0DDan Chase
WC-653 WID-956 None Interactive Map 12/20/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 3: I perfer this alternative as it spreads harvesting over time and space. The emphasis on thinning and partial cuts is especially important.
WC-654 WID-956 None Interactive Map 12/20/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 1: The no salvage provision is IDIOTIC. The fiber left to rot will be replace by havesting healthy trees elsewhere. How is that good for anything.
WC-655 WID-933 None Interactive Map 12/20/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_industry|cb_timber|cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_ohv|cb_relax|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans: I have lived in the Wimer area all my life my family and i ride atvs on the BLM roads and have for alot of years it is very troubling to me of talk about banning ohvs on the BLM roads my group and family never leave the aproved roads and ride at a respectabe speed to not damage the roads and to be safe for oncoming trafic i think it is very unfair to take our recration away from us by lumping us all in small riding areas we normaly cover 50 to 60 miles on our normal rides taking 5to6 hours this is not posable in a 3,393 acre area unless you ride in alot of circles i hope these plans will be dropped for the benefit of my group and many more like us THANK YOU Jeramy
WC-656 WID-952 525817aa-3a7f-4799-b00f-65e1fd979e2b File Upload 12/20/2007 8:52:00 AM

Uploaded File:  WOPRComments.pdf
WC-657 WID-951 W-5a9bd34f-c927-4f1d-adbb-e05480ba8fc2 Draft EIS 12/20/2007 9:07:00 AM This past weekend I hiked through some of the BLM land that is a part of WOPR. I saw many large old growth trees. These trees would certainly be targeted for logging because of their dollar value. I did not see any statements in the alternatives that said anyting about protecting these trees? Why doesn't anyone in the timber industry think that these old growth trees don't have much more value standing then for paper or wood products? I also think that the 100 foot retention area from streams is way to small especially for year round fish bearing streams. even the intermitent streams need more than 25 feet especially with our wet winters and these areas would be so prone to mud slides during and after logging. We saw what happened recently to areas logged by OSU Foresty. Logging may not have been the full story but it was probably part of the problem. The same could very well happen if logging is allowed so close to streams. I know Oregon is a timber state and timber jobs are a very important source of income and they have been hurt hard in recent years. Also the federal funds for rural counties that has now ended makes new sources of funds even more important. I still think that their are other alternatives to expanded logging. One is the renewable energy sector. Oregon needs Technicians to install the 100's of wind turbines. Loggers use to working up in trees would be well suited to the heights of working on tall "Steel Trees". This is a better solution to cutting the trees that are keeping our air,and water clean. I encourage those who will decide this to think beyond logging and look to long term forest health which is to let it be. The forest untouched by human hands is the best forest management plan we could ever think up. Thanks for taking my comment.
WC-658 WID-953 W-567f555b-c199-426a-b82a-a3f626ac4159 Draft EIS 12/20/2007 9:57:00 AM I would like to encourage the members to use good common sense. John's peak is an affected area by your plan and the company I work for has over 80 employees that help support the local ecomony. People riding in the John's Peak area certainly are limited by daylight when they can ride. So if it is troublesome to people living near by, it is certainly not as loud as music that might be playing at the J'vill Britt Festival or even the planes that fly overhead could be comparable in noise generated. The use of John's Peak by motorcycle enthusists poses no greater harm to the environment that does driving of cars, building of roads, use of plastics and the many other things we commonly use and take for granted.
WC-659 WID-955 38ee16ea-f5e9-45ab-8945-59feff67363f File Upload 12/20/2007 3:07:00 PM

Uploaded File:  Dear BLM.doc
WC-660 WID-913 2e4e89fb-a3e7-40a9-9798-526294237710 File Upload 12/20/2007 4:08:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR.pdf
WC-661 WID-960 W-13a135a4-87e7-4280-977f-013cb918c09c Draft EIS 12/20/2007 9:29:00 PM • protect all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting; • continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl; • promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting; • protect trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes.
WC-662 WID-959 W-3d94aa10-15ce-4b07-9064-d47885876810 Draft EIS 12/20/2007 9:30:00 PM less is more. Please do not allow clear cutting. Please greatly limit new logging or fire roads. leave these wilderness areas alone. Do not try to manage them as a business or business resources. Manage them as stewards, not owners. Many thanks John Hollis
WC-663 WID-982 None Interactive Map 12/21/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_industry|tb_gen_ans: Pendelton
WC-664 WID-535 None Interactive Map 12/21/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: All old growth, needs to be left in reserves.
WC-665 WID-965 11a62105-7f07-4f1b-b219-a3ffdfd23400 File Upload 12/21/2007 8:41:00 AM

Uploaded File:  letter to BLM.doc
WC-666 WID-966 W-2e818373-8b7a-470b-90cc-381304aea678 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 8:54:00 AM please • protect all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting; • continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl; • promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting; • protect trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes. Our forest are our most important resource. cutting old growth has no real purpose other than to make rich people and rich companies richer. Select loging of units is a better way to go. the water, wildlife, and air are much more important than allowing companies to rape the forest for th puropse of making dollars. The general population does not benefit from clearcutting practices. The general population of wildlife does not benefit from clearcutting practices. The quality of water does not benefit from clearcutting practices. The BLM should work to benefit the general population, the wildlife population and water quality. The BLM should not work for the benifit of loggin companies.
WC-667 WID-967 W-1e508a62-c92b-4511-b0e0-a320d4f698ca Draft EIS 12/21/2007 8:57:00 AM The BLM should drop plans for clearcutting Oregon old growth and respect the terms of the Northwest Forest Plan! Our government should • protect all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting; • continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl; • promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting; • protect trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes. We live with the results of our ancestors' greed and also their altruism. Greed caused the majority of the redwoods and old growth forest to be logged, destroying much of the natural habitat. Altruism caused our precious parks and few remaining wild places. Let's preserve these places for future generations!! The health of our species depends directly on it.
WC-668 WID-969 095d37c9-bf56-4c6b-9a0b-3447c0343cff File Upload 12/21/2007 9:07:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Message to WOPR Web Forum.doc
WC-669 WID-968 095d37c9-bf56-4c6b-9a0b-3447c0343cff File Upload 12/21/2007 9:08:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Old Growth.doc
WC-670 WID-970 ac2d776c-3438-48d6-8fc4-5a32c0bdd9bb File Upload 12/21/2007 9:38:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Oregon forests.doc
WC-671 WID-971 W-3780ef08-a182-4b25-9054-0e202cf2234e Draft EIS 12/21/2007 9:48:00 AM We should continue the current plan of limiting the destruction of Old Growth Forests. This plan should not proceed.
WC-672 WID-972 W-c9e06d5c-f7de-42cb-82cb-d7ad1b20f9d1 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 9:55:00 AM Please abandon the plans for clearcutting Oregon's old growth forest and respect the terms of the Northwest Forest Plan. These forests protect threatened and endangered species and protect trout, salmon, and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers, and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes.
WC-673 WID-975 W-4fb0f97a-2256-4ed3-84e9-3fd825730566 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 10:16:00 AM Hi, I am certain that the BLM will do what is in the best interests of all Americans, and thus respectfully submit my comments. In my considered opinion, the Draft EIS must respect the terms of the Northwest Forest Plan. In particular, due to the environmental sensitivity of these areas, all mature and old-growth forest must be protected from clearcutting. This protection will continue to protect rather than harm such Federally listed threatened and endangered species as the marbled murrelet and northern spotted owl. Since I first flew over Oregon back in 1976, I've been convinced that clearcutting is a disaster and an affront to our national commons. BLM's plan should promote sustainable logging and forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging and clearcutting. Intensive logging and clearcutting are also very damaging to our shared watersheds. Please protect the spawning areas of trout, salmon and other fish from sedimentation and unhealthy increases in temperature by not allowing this clearcutting and intensive industrialization of our national property. Regards, Mark D. Langan
WC-674 WID-975 None Web Forum Exit 12/21/2007 10:29:00 AM Your web forum is a great tool and makes your Draft EIR easily searchable. Thanks!
WC-675 WID-978 8e6826c3-3eb5-4ccb-b256-e6a2459f517b Draft EIS 12/21/2007 11:48:00 AM Please drop plans for clearcutting Oregon old growth and respect the terms of the Northwest Forest Plan.
WC-676 WID-979 W-165b5982-06b3-4cb5-8c03-718fc6d13b87 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 12:31:00 PM • protect all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting; • continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl; • promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting; • protect trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes.
WC-677 WID-980 W-5cd2e204-a3a1-4fc3-b2a0-bb7b52262634 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 12:57:00 PM I just wanted to thank you for your management of our state and urge you not to close or shrink the southern oregon ohv areas. I believe with good management and proper use awareness these areas can keep their current size or expand with out gross negative impacts on the enviornment. Education campaings are far more effective for proper land usage than restrictions and closure. More people in a smaller area seems to be more devastating to our wildlife. Thanks for your time.
WC-678 WID-981 W-fb86d76f-9ec2-4c60-86f2-d23b91b24514 Draft EIS 12/21/2007 1:39:00 PM There should be absolutely no logging in old growth or mature forests in this plan.Protection of wildlife habitat,endangered species,recreation,and watersheds should the paramount priority.The plan should be changed to reflect this or abandoned.Sincerely,Sean McGinty
WC-679 WID-983 W-c52b7633-e099-4180-bb10-885900af40cf Draft EIS 12/21/2007 2:59:00 PM I am writing to express my views on the Draft EIS. I strongly advocate the protection of all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting. I wish for the BLM to continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl. I wish the BLM to promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting. I desire the protection of trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes. The Northwest Forest Plan must be adhered to; I view this EIR and the plans allowing clearcutting and destruction of old growth forest as unsatisfactory. i urge the revision of this EIS to respect the Northwest Forest Plan. Sincerely, Stephen Waxman
WC-680 WID-984 W-81b29b7f-0eca-49de-82d0-589d4f1da2ef Draft EIS 12/21/2007 3:02:00 PM I don't like how this plan sets apart every area. Meaning, while a riding area for ATV / MC is ok for those that like to run trails, where does this leave the individuals that like to ride along the already existing dirt and gravel roads through each area. If some one likes to take long rides (miles not acres) along these roads this wouldn't affect the environment at all. All existing roads should remain open for people to explore on all types of vehicles. Next, leaving out bottom lands, why change anything. Lastly, smaller riding areas will add congestion, thus disrupting the ground even more. This will also cause more accedents and parking problems. To me the idea is not sound. I could see not allowing some types of vehicles to certain areas, but only opening certain areas for certain vehicles is not the answer.
WC-681 WID-984 None Web Forum Exit 12/21/2007 3:06:00 PM I think it should have an open forum in addition. So people can let their views be known to others, and so everyone will know up front the types of comments you are hearing. All in the open.
WC-682 WID-986 None Interactive Map 12/22/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: Both my wife and I agree with the preferred alternative plan. In the fourty years that I have worked in a related forrest industry profession, I have seen clear cut and areas that have burned and have recovered back to thriving and productive forrest lands. In our opinion there is no good reason not to logg our forrests.
WC-683 WID-994 None Interactive Map 12/22/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: I believe that the forests over 116 years should be fully protected. It is clear from the map that that very little ancient forest remains. These lands are ecolgically important as watershed and habitat for many species.%0DFlying over Oregon exposes the vast amount of clear cutting that has already taken place. I have viewed these bald areas for over twenty years. They do not appear to have been replanted and have not been restored. Clearcutting is an archaic practice of timber harvest and has been scientifically shown to be devastatingly poor practice. %0DI am adamantly opposed to plans being made for harvest in the affected areas
WC-684 WID-985 W-2226697f-938d-41cf-883b-27f334c46914 Draft EIS 12/22/2007 7:56:00 AM The chief stated reason for revision is to increase timber harvest to the level anticipated in the previous plan, primarily to increase revenue to the counties directly or via increased lumber industry economic activity. At risk to achieve this economic target are areas 1) already historically heavily altered/ destroyed now in young,low diversity stands, 2) old-growth complex stands and 3) riparian habitat. While recognizing the need to balance needs, it appears to me that the "NoAction" alternative best preserves the old growth and riparian systems. The short-term economic consequences are outweighed by the need to preserve these habitats for their economic and ecological value. Federal and state efforts should focus on maximizing their economic value in non-threatening ways including visual value, atmospheric CO2 sinks, multi-use recreational purposes, and recognition of increased value of non-BLM land as a result of having these habitats preserved as a way of offsetting the apparent economic disadvantage of the No-Action alternative. I cannot see in this EIS that these possibilities were adequately considered.
WC-685 WID-989 076225fd-df22-4f2d-bbab-d7f9c0d9c1d7 File Upload 12/22/2007 11:00:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Forest Plan.doc
WC-686 WID-988 W-06a7bd87-257d-4a97-81d6-f1c5b570d4dd Draft EIS 12/22/2007 11:10:00 AM Dear BLM, I am opposed to increased timber harvesting from our state. It is incredible to watch train load after train load of lumber being shipped from our forests and to think that industrialists want to increase the amount. In today's environment it is easy to perceive that there is a limit to the supply. Visionaries from early in our century such as Judge John B. Waldo could understand the delicate balance and limited nature of our land. Back then the sheep industry threatened to forever change our land's future and now the lumber industry could continue to deplete our ancient forests and natural areas while affecting our delicate atmosphere. There should not be an increase in logging to what may be a predicted sustainable limit based on capital interests when a long term environmental sustainable limit may already have been exceeded. Concerned, Mark Brown
WC-687 WID-992 W-cf4c42c7-66d7-48f1-bff3-3d855d496583 Draft EIS 12/22/2007 1:49:00 PM Thank you for this website and the opportunity to comment. I am impressed with your website. My preference is the NO Action Alternative. I am opposed to any logging in our ancient forests. These trees are needed for carbon sequestration and for fire prevention. Alt. 2 is horrible, not only destroying the important old growth but greatly reducing the stream buffers, affecting water quality adversely, and reducing protection for wildlife. The only real sustainable path to follow is the selective cutting of tree plantations that are overcrowded plus providing a buffer around residencial areas in danger. The O&C Act does not require the cutting of Old Growth. We need a long term plan that is sustainable.
WC-688 WID-994 None Web Forum Exit 12/22/2007 10:07:00 PM Although my comments were shown as saved (1), when I attempted to submit them, they could not be found. When I returned to the section, the comments were shown as (0)!! Very frustrating!
WC-689 WID-998 None Interactive Map 12/23/2007 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: Please drop plans for clearcutting Oregon old growth and respect the terms of the Northwest Forest Plan. %0D%E2%80%A2 protect all mature and old-growth forests from clearcutting%3B%0D%E2%80%A2 continue to protect threatened and endangered species such as the marbled murrelet and the Northern spotted owl%3B%0D%E2%80%A2 promote forest restoration rather than intensive industrial logging. Develop sustainable forestry rather than clearcutting%3B%0D%E2%80%A2 protect trout, salmon and clean water by shielding watersheds, rivers and streams from sedimentation and temperature changes. %0D
WC-690 WID-999 W-e38e4a59-604f-40d0-a172-2a9a3bece46d Draft EIS 12/23/2007 2:54:00 PM Dear BLM, My family and I do not wish to have any logging of old growth trees on any old BLM lands in Oregon, with the only exception being for those unusual instances where an individual tree or two poses a hazard to a nearby road or campground. At this time (2007), in any given watershed in the Western 1/3 of the state, LOW ELEVATION (about 1700 feet above sea level or below) old growth western red cedar, douglas fir, sitka spruce, and western hemlock trees are uncommon at best, and are usually rare or absent. In many, many instances, the only low elevation, old (125 years or older) trees of these four species in existence in any given area are on BLM land. The Klamath district's old growth ponderosa pine is also worthy of protection, although land elevations are higher there, so all old ponderosa pine trees (with the safety hazard exception) should also be protected. Although I have not been able to review the draft EIS, I urge you to select the option which results in no harvest of old growth conifer trees of the 5 species mentioned above on any old BLM lands in Oregon, with the only exception being for those unusual instances where an individual tree or two poses a hazard to a nearby road or campground. If all options available in the draft EIS require some harvest of these trees, while I find that regrettable and unfortunate, please register my support for the option in the draft EIS which results in the smallest harvest of old growth trees of those 5 conifer species. Andrew Swanson
WC-691 WID-1000 W-44beaba0-c024-4cd5-8011-cf592974b893 Draft EIS 12/23/2007 4:08:00 PM I am writing in support of the no action alternative. It is the alternative that best protects old growth and mature forests, riparian zones, watersheds and wildlife.
WC-692 WID-1001 6a53ff1d-efa0-4d0b-a2ec-912267a840d7 Draft EIS 12/23/2007 8:08:00 PM Protect our public forests!! Protect them as "Forever Wild"
WC-693 WID-1001 e9d072c8-ef88-47eb-a5ed-ebbc94da7753 Draft EIS 12/23/2007 8:09:00 PM Protect our forests as Forever Wild!
WC-694 WID-1003 W-85e6d7af-e3d7-488f-b18e-85f0aa51ddc9 Draft EIS 12/23/2007 11:41:00 PM Please do not let clearcutting occur in any old growth forests remaining in Oregon. Planned and managed forests is the only sustainable way to feed the demand for lumber. Do not succomb to the pressures of the logging industry to clear cut old growth forests. The concerns of the community must be considered and respected.
WC-695 WID-1002 f6464123-009a-4514-827d-6273061f5f37 File Upload 12/23/2007 11:55:00 PM Drop plans for clearcutting!

Uploaded File:  BLM WOPR.pdf
WC-696 WID-1006 9ed05512-9724-4130-8637-a69247d14c0d File Upload 12/24/2007 4:04:00 PM Comment on DEIS Volume III, page j-1206 "Process for on-going public collaboration/outreach:……….. You have limited working with OHV users only in this statement. You need to include those opposed to OHV use or those demanding restricted use especially in the John´s Peak Area of the Medford District. Collaborative outreach needs to include, affected communities, neighboring landowners, and groups opposed to OHV use.

Uploaded File:  Comment on DEIS.doc
WC-697 WID-1008 None Interactive Map 12/25/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans:
WC-698 WID-1008 None Interactive Map 12/25/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-699 WID-1008 None Interactive Map 12/25/2007 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans:
WC-700 WID-918 W-d8115344-21a9-4ad5-8473-b1ff67f1b9c1 Draft EIS 12/25/2007 12:38:00 AM im not sure i can under staned the reason why this is evan here why we have to creat this bill it wont change anything except your going to have a larger group of unhappy peaple than what you have now who is going to demand a change this is rediculus there is nothing here that makes since! there are rules and regulations to prevent the things you say we cause we do not cause wild fires for one we all use spark arresting mufflers and are limited on where we can ride durring fire season so we cant evan cause the damage you all purposed we do! which is out right disshonist.just for that one incedent this whole purposel should be thrown out or at least put to a vote to let the whole comunity decide. beyond that theres no conflict between us and visiters between us and horse riders like you say there are it wont help anything except to anger a large amount of peaple who wont settel for this injustice there is no right to do what you are doing this was deemed public land and taking that away from the public is horriblie wrong i mean i want to be able to injoy this same land with my kid one day as i do with my father. right now you really need to think about resarch and studie this plan its horriblie flawed you say it will open up and still have opritunities the only thing it will do is limit our space to ride and cause more injuries and less tourisem because its going to reduce the peaple who come here from other towns to use our public land to ride motercycles and quads will stop coming here and boosting our economie but this plan is just going to ruin so many things that we help the MRA alone helps all the main riding areas we have now by cleaning them up and keeping the trails maintinencd so the government dosent have to pay for it.
USA.GOV  |  No Fear Act  |  DOI  |  Disclaimer  |  About BLM  |  Notices  |  Get Adobe Reader