Web-comments-901-1000

# SenderID Ref.# Comment Tool Date Comment
WC-901 WID-1222 W-085fdc78-e850-4675-9957-c250fd7a7c1d Draft EIS 1/4/2008 12:04:00 AM I Mark Tunno oppose W.O.P.R., as currently written. I'am opposed clearcutting old growth trees , building roads in currently roadless areas, and degrading public land for the profit of a few. What I'am for is preseving the last remaining wild forests and streams for future generations. The old growth that still stand are fraction of thier former selves, as are the near exstinct wild salmon which rely on high quality waterways that old growth forests protect. I urge the B.L.M. to consider these historic landmarks more valuable than short term profits. THANKS !!
WC-902 WID-1224 W-ddb40b4e-a6b0-4cbf-ab50-5c277fa521fe Draft EIS 1/4/2008 7:56:00 AM I would like to offer the following comments on your draft Western Oregon Plan Revisions (WOPR). Although I live in Bend now, I grew up in the Eugene area, as did my parents, and I still value the public-lands hunting I have experienced over the last 45 years in the Coburg hills east of town. I am concerned that the draft WOPR does not adequately protect the hunting and fishing lands that I value. In particular, there should be a full range of draft alternatives, including ones that would provide much more habitat protection that does the current draft. Off-highway vehicles (OHVs) are a scourge to wildlife and fish habitat. Adding OHV emphasis areas is in my view irresponsible. We need to decrease OHV use, not increase it. Please modify your plan to address this. Similarly, construction of new roads is uncalled-for. There are probably three to five times the number of roads we should have already, and they contribute to habitat degradation, abuse of the land, and poaching. By now, we should have learned our lesson about clear-cut logging and the harm it does to habitat, to stream quality, to soil stability, and to the forest at large. Clear-cutting 14,000 acres annually would appear to be unjustifiable. Simillarly, reducing streamside buffers to 25 feet would certainly degrade stream quality via silting and temperature increase. I highly value the opportunity to hunt and fish on BLM lands in Western Oregon. The draft WOPR would result in degraded wildlife and fish habitat in several ways, and would consequently degrade my hunting and fishing experience. I look forward to seeing a WOPR that is much improved from the current draft. Thank you. Kelly L. Smith 18700 Bull Springs Rd Bend, OR 97701 kls1998@msn.com
WC-903 WID-1228 323e5a34-b1c0-4974-aa9e-a9654648d7c3 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 8:19:00 AM I oppose the proposed revision as I feel the common good of the people of Oregon (and the whole earth) are better served by maintaining our forests as superior carbon sinks, wildlife habitat, recreational areas, clean watersheds. Forest work can be done by cleaning up after loggers, planting trees and grasses and conscientious thinning. Logging has gotten a bad name by cheating--cutting areas not in their sales. They wonder why we don't trust them!
WC-904 WID-1227 W-9e66c44e-ef3c-4370-8a91-9e19b298da42 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 8:43:00 AM I applaud the use of this web site for comment submission, and the very informative and educational materials accompanying the site. As a new Oregon resident who retired here in large part because of the beauty of the forest, I am interested in maintaining recreational experiences. Living on the urban/forest interface, I am understand the need for wildfire reduction. Seeing how my son's high school is struggling with lack of funds, I understand the need for timber revenues. I do not like clear cutting, which is an eyesoar. However, I realize we are trying to balance of competing - and some extent- mutually exclusive interests. My main question is whether the impact of the expanded range of the pine-bark beetle on the long-range projections has been taken into account? I did not see that in any of the presentations. Assuming that the pine-bark beetle will have no impact, I (reluctantly) bite the bullet and support Alternative 2.
WC-905 WID-1230 W-39a2ac4b-5e8c-4acb-b4ce-13e026a0449d Draft EIS 1/4/2008 9:32:00 AM As an Oregon Resident and taxpayer, I would like to express my opposition to the revised plan. While I feel for the residents of traditional timber counties that are suffering economically because of low timber harvests, this is not a new situation. This was the case when I graduated high school in Grants Pass in 1982. The economic growth that has occurred since then has not been timber based, but based on industries like tourism, housing and services, areas likely to be negatively affected by the increased harvest targets in the revised plan. I strongly support restoring O&C funds to the western Oregon counties that depend on them. The fact that so much land is held by the Federal Government and is thus not available to the tax base makes this funding essential to providing county services. In summation, the revised plan seems a shortsighted return to an outmoded extraction economy model that ignores the long-term benefits of preserving these forest lands.
WC-906 WID-1226 W-1b28d096-fd89-4396-a0dc-7b5f4afcb2b4 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 9:33:00 AM The Revision to the Northwest Forest Plan is not an improvement to the quality of forested lands in Oregon, and thus not an improvement to the quality of life for local people and those who want to visit Oregon for its natural beauty and biodiversity. The increased old-growth logging that would be allowed under the Revision is a temporary, unsustainable solution to the need for increased revenue to fund state and local programs. Furthermore, replacing old-growth with new trees dramatically increases fire hazard for nearby homes and businesses. This Revision will further degrade the landscape, the environment, the ability of the environment to sustain itself, and and the ability of the environment to sustain us. Balancing many interests does not mean handing over old-growth timber to corporations whose sole purpose for existence is to generate profits. These irreplacable natural resources are more valuable alive than dead. Every effort should be made to make US forest policy sustainable. The reliance on the now obsolete (70+ year old) policy in the O&C Lands Act is misguided and potentially tragic. From the BLM website: The O&C Lands Act. . . directed that timberlands be managed: . . . for permanent forest production, and the timber thereon shall be sold, cut, and removed in conformity with the principal of sustained yield for the purpose of providing a permanent source of timber supply, protecting watersheds, regulating stream flow, and contributing to the economic stability of local communities and industries, and providing recreational facilities . . .(43 U.S.C. §1181a) But science now knows that reforestation of old-growth forests is not a solution for unsustainable resource extraction, and paints a happy face on the slow degradation of the entire ecosystem. It is also clear that this unsustainable forest policy does not do enough to contribute to the economy of local communities, one of the O&Cs policy goals. And, though recreational activities and tourism would generate more meaningful revenue to local communities around the forests in question, federal management policy focuses on providing for recreational facilities after the timber is cut. Speaking as an eco-tourist, I have chosen wilderness trips based on the quality of the natural resources, and where there has been significant industrial damage of natural resources, I choose to go elsewhere. I urge the BLM and US Forest Service to shift paradigms with all possible speed to a sustainable policy that places the health of the natural resources, in this case old-growth forests and the drainages within them, first, followed by local economic needs, and lastly the desires of timber corporations. I submit my sincere and heartfelt comments as an American taxpayer and green architect who has devoted his career to making America a sustainable model for the world, balancing economic needs with the need for living sustainably on Earth.
WC-907 WID-1239 W-7055d284-b79c-47cf-bfb8-c8b69d356793 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 12:25:00 PM Thank you for the careful and extensive work embodied in this draft EIS--it is clearly a result of monumental effort. Upon reviewing the stated goals and purpose in light of the respective alternatives, I would urge the BLM to implement alternative 1 as the alternative best suited to satisfy the various recource interests. While the BLM is mandated to maximize sustainable timber harvests, this must be within the framework of satisfying other limiting factors (fostering successional forest ecosystems, wildlife habitat, riparian zones, various recreational uses, etc.). I believe that the first alternative in fact provides for the maximal timber management options while granting these other factors due consideration. Thank you.
WC-908 WID-1240 12b7e1e4-5995-40d7-84ee-d2c50535c23b File Upload 1/4/2008 12:29:00 PM

Uploaded File:  ShortComments.pdf
WC-909 WID-1236 12b7e1e4-5995-40d7-84ee-d2c50535c23b File Upload 1/4/2008 2:47:00 PM

Uploaded File:  Alternative 2.doc
WC-910 WID-1244 5096e7dc-f36a-403f-9480-3635f10b9731 File Upload 1/4/2008 3:42:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR.doc
WC-911 WID-1246 b482a009-c61c-4d89-af4f-1061a4726a04 File Upload 1/4/2008 5:20:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR cover letter-1.doc
WC-912 WID-1246 8cf6f676-b908-4191-a206-3c36e448f493 File Upload 1/4/2008 5:21:00 PM

Uploaded File:  woprDEIS1220draft2.doc
WC-913 WID-1247 W-1662fd83-79b4-4d54-8f88-46eff5791708 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 5:39:00 PM Re: BLM Western Oregon Plan Revisions Dear BLM, I am very concerned with the direction the Bush Administration is headed with the management of nearly 2.6 million acres of federal forests under the Western Oregon Plan Revisions. The changes the Bureau of Land Management is contemplating will unravel the protections of the landmark Northwest Forest Plan, and will lead to water pollution, degraded habitat, and increased conflict and controversy. The Bush Administration would place half of the public land that the BLM manages - and most of our best old-growth BLM forests - in "Timber Management Areas" to be clearcut every 80 years. The Bush Administration´s preferred alternative proposes to clearcut 110,000 acres of Oregon´s old-growth (120+ years) and build 1,000 mile of new logging roads every decade while creating over 100,000 miles of new Off Highway Vehicle Emphasis Areas - all at the expense of roadless areas, threatened species, water quality and non-motorized recreation. Shockingly, the proposal ignores the role that these forests play in regulating the climate. Most Americans want federal land managers to embrace thinning second growth forests, safeguard communities from wildfire and protect what remains of our nation´s ancient forests. Indeed, many Oregon forest managers are already moving beyond the conflicts of the past. By focusing on previously logged public forestlands - many of which are now overgrown and in need of thinning - they are providing wood to local mills while actually improving conditions for fish and wildlife and keeping saws out of precious old-growth forests. In contrast, the WOPR proposes to inflame the controversy by increasing old-growth clearcutting for a short-term economic fix. The WOPR puts water quality at risk and would destroy some of Oregon´s most special places. We should protect our remaining mature and old-growth forests on public land, not clearcut these natural treasures. It is disappointing that at a time when public consensus for old-growth protection and second-growth thinning has never been stronger, the BLM is proposing to clearcut forests older than our nation and turn complex ecosystems into tree plantations most susceptible to severe wildfire. Please protect remaining old-growth forests, focus active management of BLM lands in already logged-over areas, and create job opportunities in restoration thinning projects that benefit watersheds and generate wood products without multiplying past mistakes. Sincerely, jessica harris
WC-914 WID-1250 W-df8fa87a-e08d-46b3-ab4f-05628a17ae3f Draft EIS 1/4/2008 10:43:00 PM This is in response to BLM comment period regarding the WOPR. First,I would like to ask why is the BLM still directed to follow a 70 year old piece of legislation. (O&C Lands Act, 1937). Is it not possible to override or declare outdated a directive that has become obsolete? The economic view of the Act is out-dated, the science of forestry has changed, property ownership is more diverse,and the population demographics are different than they were in the 1930's - or even the l960's, 70's or 80's. Trying to fulfill the purpose of the Northwest Forest Plan by basing actions on directives of an act that is no longer economically viable does not seem logical or sound. Providing a "predictable and sustainable supply of timber" should be done based on current up-to-date considerations. The BLM (as well as local communities and state agencies) need to realize we cannot live in the past. We can struggle to maintain PAST revenues from logging or can go forward by formulating better, more sustainable ways to achieve economic goals, realizing that the amount of forested land and available timber has greatly decreased over past decades and will continue to decrease. Logging as much forest as possible now may raise funds for counties in the immediate, but this plan is doomed to fail in the future because the amount of forest is finite and cannot be indefinitely sustained, especially if clear cutting methods are used. Regarding cutting of "old growth" forests, please, please consider that there will NEVER be any more OLD GROWTH!! Logging these forests may bring in revenue now, but not only would these diverse timber-producing forests be gone eventually,an irreplaceable heritage will be lost for future generations and for all time. Properly logging existing younger forests (selective cutting,etc.) will in the long run produce more logs than cutting all the non-renewable, irreplaceable old growth trees. Clear cutting, as would be used almost exclusively in WOPR Alternative 2, is an outdated, scientifically unsound, uneconomical method of logging. Not only does it eliminate diverse,"multi-use" forests, it creates huge environmental impacts by eliminating wildlife, causing erosion and contamination of waterways,creates poor quality single species forests, and worst of all, drastically lowers "fire resiliency" encouraging and even creating an environment for catastrophic wildfires. Please consider maintaining the present management policy rejecting any plans for clear cutting and instead using practices that leave a variety of mature healthy trees. The Plan seems to have many contradictions--"Preservation of species" cannot be done by removal of old growth trees or clear cutting, and "sustainable logging" cannot be achieved by using outdated science. Thank you for this chance to comment.
WC-915 WID-1253 W-c17a5f58-b0a3-4ca8-9ba3-f0838afa74b8 Draft EIS 1/4/2008 11:09:00 PM Timber production requirements should not be based on economic needs and formulas developed 70 years ago. We all need a reality check!! Our modern communities, counties, and state must find alternatives to dependence on a finite resource which, if managed unwisely and depleted in the long run by poor practices, would drastically effect the quality and value of life in Oregon. Rather than depletion and destruction of our forest resources, we ask that the BLM make preservation, careful resourceful management, and maintenance of the forests a priority. Instead of continuing the cycle of struggles related to diminishing timber supplies, we must all be partners in finding alternative revenues to SUPPLEMENT the carefully managed forest resources provided by the BLM. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from the information on your web site and for the chance to comment on these important issues.
WC-916 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|tb_2_other: relaxing and enjoying nature|cb_hiking|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans: I am a neighbor to the "Bummer 40" and woulike to see these 40 acres detictad fro future public use as a park. %0DI had discussion with the Grants Pass Area manager to help with the managment of this small parcel and I am offering to be a Staurad fro this land, maintaning it for the local public as a prek because the the population I am a neighbor to the "Bummer 40" and would like to see these 40 acres dedicated fro future public use as a park. %0DI had discussion with the Grants Pass Area manager to help with the management of this small parcel and I am offering to be a Stuart for this land, maintaining it for the local public as a park because the population density of this area is on a steep increase. This 40 acres parcels is Open to OHV. %0Dplease close it. It is too small and has better values for recreation than being destroyed by OHVs. This parcel is surrounded by private properties and the presents of OHVs does disturb the peace. %0DDr. Holger T. Sommer %0D2000 Hugo Road %0D476-5744 %0DNeighbor to the east of the Bummer 40.%0D
WC-917 WID-1256 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 1: To all Government parties this contains to 1-3-2008%0D(WOPR) %E2%80%93 OHV Emphasis AreasIt has been brought to our attention that the BLM office is planning to develop and off the road Vehicle Emphasis and WOPR to our area. We strongly disagree with this development in our area. We bought our retirement home last year on Thompson Creek Rd. in Selma with the intent to get away from the city life and to enjoy the county life. We have 16 acre that back up to hundreds of areas for BLM land and enjoy that we can take hikes around the area to see wild live and nature that%E2%80%99s not been disturbed%0D. %0DTo have the BLM come in a log down any if not all for the trees in the area and then not replacing them and open this land up to off road vehicle is unheard of. We thought BLM Government was to keep this and all lands as it is for now and forever.%0D %0DIf these proposals were to go through what guarantee can BLM give us that this will not bring our home values down and have off road vehicles coming into our property and destroy our land (none). Not to say that this will bring a high fire danger in the summer, environmental impact to the area and disturbing the wild life and there habitat.We%E2%80%99re not against public open areas for off road activity and logging just not in our backyard or Josephine County We will not stand by and let this happen to the County with out a fight. We will continue to write to you and let you know that we strongly disapprove of this plan. Thank you for taking the time out to read our concerns and hope to hear back from you. Dave Carter & Mona Trujillo Richard & Marie Butterfield%0D 1344 Thompson Creek Rd. 1340 Thompson Creek Rd.%0D Oregon. 97538 Oregon 97538%0DMailing address is%0D %0DDave Carter & Mona Trujillo%0D400 Mark
WC-918 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: The Quartz Creek OHV area is over used to the point that it might not recover from its abuse. %0DThe disturbance of the soil is now interfering with the %0DFederal Clean Water Act' s NPDES. The turbidicty in Quartz Creek before it mergers with Bummer Creek at the Intersection of Quartz Creek Road and Hugo Road is a clear indication that to much acreage has been disturbed. I propose that this area is closed fro at least 10 years so it can recover. A sensible mamangement plan fro OHV Recreatioin areas woul be to rotate their use. %0DFor example%3A establish 5 areas away from pubulation and open each areas for tow years of Off HIghway Vehiacle use. %0DMove to the next areas after these two years and provide the disturbed area 8 years of recover before this area can be destroid agin by OHVs. %0DThe longer teh period bewteen uses the better the recovery the shorter the periode of OHV use the smaller the damage. %0D This type of managment plan will distribute and soften the impact of OHV us on the land. I amd also concerned of the lackof enfocement of BLM prtecting closed areas from OHV use. %0D Holger T. Sommer%0D2000 Hugo Road %0DMerlin %0D476-5744%0DOHV use on the land
WC-919 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: this areas is destroyed by OHVs and the %0DNPDES is violated . Quartz Creek is a a mud-stream at times . Execessive Soil Errosion |cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans:
WC-920 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: These two areas are apparently open to OHVs %3F %0DThese areas are too small and surrounded by private properties. OHV use will distrub teh peace in this , my , neighborhood.%0DPlease close these parcels for OHV use. They is too small and has better values for other types of recreation than being destroyed by OHVs. %0DHolge T. Sommer%0D2000 Hugo Road %0DMerlin %0D476-5744%0D
WC-921 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: Quartz (Bummer) Creek are fish bearing yea around streams. %0DThe present of OHV on the upper Quartz Creek has a strong impact on the water Quality of this Creeks. %0DThe Clean Water Act (NPPDES) is constantly violated by run off from OHV distrubed areas. %0DHolger T. Sommer%0D2000 Hugo Road%0D476-5744
WC-922 WID-44 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: I work Pioneer Drive regularly |cb_daily|tb_gen_ans: TThese 40 acres are misused by OHV.%0DPioneer Drive is the access Road to many residences and is a hazard in the winter due to mud being dragged out onto Hugo Road.%0DRecently the seasonal creek showed excessively high turbidity due to OHV and construction. A large area next to this public land is disturbed and excavated and sediment is flushed onto the public land and through the seasonal creek on to my land on the other side of Hugo Road. %0DBLM must better manage Pioneer Drive and work with the County to control access to its property and the private properties which take access through the BLM land.BLM must better manage Pioneer Drive and work with the County to control access to its proporty and the private properties which take access through the BLM land. %0DThis 40 acres parcel is open to OHVs, please close it. It is too small and has better values for recreation than being destroyed by OHVs. This parcel is surrounded by private properties and the presence of OHVs does disturb the peace.%0DDr. Holger T. Sommer %0D476-5744 %0DHolge T. Sommer %0D476-5744
WC-923 WID-1286 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_parttime|tb_gen_ans: I own land here, on the north bank of the McKenzie River in Nimrod. It is directly across from BLM land and, according to your maps, land that is one of the few scraps of old (196 %2B years) forest remaining on all the BLM lands in western Oregon. I am concerned that the Bush-inspired Alternative 2 would mean these trees, on a steep slope, might be logged. I'll go to court if necessary to stop it.
WC-924 WID-1261 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_gen_ans:
WC-925 WID-1256 None Interactive Map 1/5/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Ownership: To all Government parties this contains to 1-3-2008%0D(WOPR) %E2%80%93 OHV Emphasis AreasIt has been brought to our attention that the BLM office is planning to develop and off the road Vehicle Emphasis and WOPR to our area. We strongly disagree with this development in our area. We bought our retirement home last year on Thompson Creek Rd. in Selma with the intent to get away from the city life and to enjoy the county life. We have 16 acre that back up to hundreds of areas for BLM land and enjoy that we can take hikes around the area to see wild live and nature that%E2%80%99s not been disturbed%0D. %0DTo have the BLM come in a log down any if not all for the trees in the area and then not replacing them and open this land up to off road vehicle is unheard of. We thought BLM Government was to keep this and all lands as it is for now and forever.%0D %0DIf these proposals were to go through what guarantee can BLM give us that this will not bring our home values down and have off road vehicles coming into our property and destroy our land (none). Not to say that this will bring a high fire danger in the summer, environmental impact to the area and disturbing the wild life and there habitat.We%E2%80%99re not against public open areas for off road activity and logging just not in our backyard or Josephine County We will not stand by and let this happen to the County with out a fight. We will continue to write to you and let you know that we strongly disapprove of this plan. Thank you for taking the time out to read our concerns and hope to hear back from you. Dave Carter & Mona Trujillo Richard & Marie Butterfield%0D 1344 Thompson Creek Rd. 1340 Thompson Creek Rd.%0D Oregon. 97538 Oregon 97538%0DMailing address is%0D %0DDave Carter & Mona Trujillo%0D400 Mar
WC-926 WID-1255 c4fb71c3-1809-45f3-85e0-67db67439fb8 File Upload 1/5/2008 6:16:00 AM The Whopper truly lives up to its name. The BLM's preferred alternative would nearly triple logging levels, remove protections for old growth forests and streams and clear-cut over 14,000 acres per year.

Uploaded File:  Whopper.txt
WC-927 WID-1262 W-b33e9910-0f0e-46fa-90de-5b0baa83d1e3 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 10:20:00 AM I wish to record my support for the "no action" alternative as outlined in the WOPR draft eis. None of the other options outlined adequately protect wildlife, water quality, and long-term sustainability of forest resources. It´s my belief that the Bureau´s recommendation in this, and in a number of other situations nationally, has been unduly influenced by political appointees and that an objective scientific basis for the revision to the is lacking.
WC-928 WID-1264 1b7da1f0-da27-495c-8e44-0e795668236e File Upload 1/5/2008 12:16:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR.doc
WC-929 WID-1266 W-14584418-aa2f-46b8-bdfa-1f7644aad185 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 12:34:00 PM I support no action alternative. My number one concern is the preservation of our forests and wildlife. Economic concerns should not dictate how we mangage our forests.
WC-930 WID-1265 00418c6b-5c86-4a33-af68-6b82d87438ba File Upload 1/5/2008 12:36:00 PM

Uploaded File:  wopr.txt
WC-931 WID-1265 3eb54c9e-89b2-4a76-8174-f2999b4a9d5d File Upload 1/5/2008 12:38:00 PM Apologies- my last posting did not include my address. I believe the BLM will be responding to all comments? Sunia Yang 6970 NW Cabernet Place Corvallis, OR 97330

Uploaded File:  wopr.txt
WC-932 WID-1061 28a4a086-018f-4d00-820b-c5bce2357b89 File Upload 1/5/2008 1:15:00 PM

Uploaded File:  BLM comments.pdf
WC-933 WID-1268 e227f3ca-9fda-4349-b3b0-3640ee966a28 File Upload 1/5/2008 1:26:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR letter.txt
WC-934 WID-1269 c13cffa4-efd5-4d75-a319-e6f3bbba0779 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 1:28:00 PM U.S. Bureau of Land Management Western Oregon Plan Revision P.O.B. 2965 Portland, Oregon 97208 Dear Sirs: During the process of revising Alternative 2 of the Western Oregon Plan Revision, please keep T. 19S. R.06W. Sec. 17 as a Late Successional Management Area. In this section is a small, beautiful, old-growth grove, the Grandmothers of Wolf Creek, and nearby older forest, which together comprise approximately one quarter of the section. This is an area for environmental education and recreation that is greatly valued by students, teachers, and residents in Crow and Eugene. This old-growth forest near Crow is one of the the oldest stands of native forest close to Eugene. It has * 300 - 400-year-old Douglas firs, along with very old western red cedar and western hemlock * younger trees of diverse ages * diverse understory of shrubs, herbaceous plants, mosses, and fungi * habitat suitable for spotted owl and marbled murrelet * forest stretching from Wolf Creek up to Timber Ridge, a 600-foot elevation span that adds species and habitat diversity to the area. We/I are not adjacent landowners. But like many Oregonians, there are places on B.L.M. land that are important in our lives. And this particular forest has become important in the lives of many people, especially immigrant students at Lane Community College who who are learning to respect and protect the environment in their new home as they learn English. For the past three years, field trips to the old growth forest on Wolf Creek have been an important part of class study of western Oregon nature and environmental protection. Student docents have learned to explain such elements as snags, nurse logs, vegetation layers and food chains of an old-growth forest to others. They served as forest guides for another group of E.S.L. students from L.C.C., and also began to introduce the forest to students from Crow High School. The Wolf Creek forest is becoming an educational element in the lives of more and more students and other people as well. We/I believe it is important to have an old-growth area for learning about the forest in the Coast Range and west of Eugene, in addition to the B.L.M.'s two formal Environmental Education areas east of I-5, which are not in the Coast Range. It helps many educators and students to have an old-growth forest close to educational institutions in and near Crow/Lorane/Veneta and west Eugene, in a place on Wolf Creek Road that is easily accessible to everyone. I believe this forest is the closest publicly-owned old-growth forest in our area that is accessible from a paved road. We/I hope this lovely old growth grove can remain as a Late Successional Management Area, for the continuing benefit of Lane County students now and for generations to come. Thank you for your attention. Sincerely yours,
WC-935 WID-1270 7f0cdfaf-aae5-4358-a903-c986cc15a998 File Upload 1/5/2008 1:54:00 PM

Uploaded File:  BHA WOPR Comments.doc
WC-936 WID-1271 d8c6776c-bbea-4805-9b12-ac03d4631930 File Upload 1/5/2008 2:38:00 PM

Uploaded File:  A major factor in global warming is the destruction of the world.doc
WC-937 WID-1275 ffa9eb4c-09cf-46bb-9c02-87dd14e4c5da File Upload 1/5/2008 3:00:00 PM

Uploaded File:  R.06W. Sec. 17 Forest.doc
WC-938 WID-1274 W-04df4c91-cd36-49a8-b820-8169f6807832 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 3:29:00 PM In the Fire portion of the Introduction, you indicate that fire severity and hazard will decreae the most under No Action and will decrease the least under Alternative 2. Your time span seems to be 100 years. What about the next 10-25 years? Heating and drought associated with global warming seem to be occurring at an increasingly rapid rate, exceeding model predictions consistently. I want a BLM plan that maximizes decreased fire hazard and severity over the next 10-25 years, and beyond. I don't want a plan that increases fire hazard and severity in the short term, and only decreases hazard and severity over a 100-year time span.
WC-939 WID-1279 9f9c7e77-99d3-4a5b-bfaf-d73ab246780c File Upload 1/5/2008 4:37:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR LETTER.doc
WC-940 WID-1280 44bedc11-cc2a-4afe-87ce-fd792b30199b File Upload 1/5/2008 5:25:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR comment.doc
WC-941 WID-1281 W-17efce26-b14d-414f-86c1-7b461c09dbe0 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 6:33:00 PM I believe the proposed preferred alternatives are a step back in the wrong dirrection. Logging needs to focus on smaller diameter trees and thinning. Stay out of the remaining old growth areas. The most distressing aspect of the plan is the sell out to the OHV lobby. Those of us who live in rural areas near BLM lands do not want the noise and environmental impacts associated with off road vehicles. You folks don't have enough personnel to police this activity. Plus I am very concerned of the risk of fire from these activities. I especially oppose OHV use in the Anderson Butte area. I appreciate the thinning, underburning, and fuels reduction work you have done in the Applegate Valley area. Lets do more of that and not do away with the special resource area designation for the Applegate. There is more to our public lands than timber extraction. Strive for a balanced ecological approach. Thanks, James Kraemer
WC-942 WID-1282 c2a9d581-9804-4e52-8f76-c37e33074cf5 File Upload 1/5/2008 6:42:00 PM

Uploaded File:  I. Hurley BLM comments.pdf
WC-943 WID-1284 9a55e57c-2f0d-4fe4-a17a-53742ff13f53 Draft EIS 1/5/2008 7:30:00 PM I care to keep my comments brief. I do not believe that expanding logging nor the overutilization of our state's finite natural resources is an answer to Oregon's counties' funding issues. People must accept taxation for their properties as an inherent part of being a resident in this state - and not expect the exploitation of dwindling natural resources to eradicate their own fiscal responsibilities. I do not wish for WOPR to be passed into law. I think, feel and believe it is a big error and that there are better solutions for our financial shortfalls. Sincerley, Christy Davis Klamath Falls, OR
WC-944 WID-1286 W-5ae26427-4935-4508-a799-09f09682ac4f Draft EIS 1/5/2008 8:31:00 PM I have seen the so-called fuel treatments in the coast range. Small trees and brush in dense stands were cut out and then left standing in huge piles getting even drier, sitting there in the August heat. Gathering fuel together is inviting a fire, it seems to me. No one in the bureaucracy will face the truth: the amount of back-breaking human labor required to do this work properly is simply not available. And these dense stands are the direct result of our fire suppression and industrial logging activities. We need to allow more fires to burn longer to restore forest health.
WC-945 WID-1288 W-0462a85e-d585-4448-ba6f-4582bf1fe77d Draft EIS 1/5/2008 9:43:00 PM The environmental costs of the WOPR are too high. For short term economic advantage the Bush administration proposes a plan that will have devastating effects on both the spotted owl and the marbled murrelet. By rolling back habitat protections and ramping up logging and other resource extraction activities, the plan will add a thousand miles of new roads, eliminate 67 percent of riparian buffers to protect streams and salmon spawning areas. It will damage watersheds that supply drinking water to many towns and cities. The plan will all but abandon the Northwest Forest Plan which has served the Endangered Species Act, Oregon's communities and economy in a balanced and scientifically sound manner. Cutting the last remaining old growth makes no sense environmentally, ethically, or for the long term well being or Oregon's economy. What are you people thinking?? The WOPR is not sound policy, it is gleaning our natural resources to pay for administration mistakes and budget excess. STOP!
WC-946 WID-1289 e52782ea-55e9-47c3-a4af-b5a411664b0f File Upload 1/5/2008 10:09:00 PM

Uploaded File:  Document1.pdf
WC-947 WID-1294 None Interactive Map 1/6/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_parttime|cb_spiritual|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: Sweeney Pond%0D26596 Fudge Road Alsea, OR 97324
WC-948 WID-1298 None Interactive Map 1/6/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: 1. The Department of Interior Resource Management Plans must be aligned for continuity with Department of Agriculture U.S.F.S. Resource Management Plans, especially concerning O.H.V. Recreation us in Riparian Areas and Late success ional reserves(L.S.R.), both which are sustainable, desirable OHV recreation use areas. Scientifically, the exclusion of OHV recreation from parts of these areas can be a situational decision, but OHV Recreation must not continue to be categorically excluded from these area by administrative doctrine. This is a major reason why higher quality OHV recreation facilities exist on U.S.F.S. managed lands, and not on B.L.M. managed lands in our area.%0D2. There are no proposed trails for OHV recreation, in spite of dozens of proposed trails for non-motorized uses.(page 134, volume 1) This is an embarrassing omission. Motorized use is increasing at a much faster rate than non-motorized, especially in this area. Motorized recreation also has a greater proven ability to pay for the mileage required for it. Proposed trails and trail mileage for motorized recreation should greatly exceed trail quantity for other uses.%0D3. Tallow Box Mountain area in Ruch%2FApplegate is a known use area proposed for OHV events by previous BLM District Manager, Richard Drehobl, yet is not included as an emphasis area. It is contiguous to the Anderson Butte, Johns Peak, and Ferris Gulch use areas and I require its inclusion as an OHV emphasis area.%0D4. BLM and O&C lands are designated by congress to provide a sustainable timber supply as well as developed recreation facilities. However, the public domain lands(PD) are not subject to this same timber standard yet are intended to be managed as such. As a OHV recreation enthusiast, I would like the PD lands within the OHV Recreation emphasis areas be removed from the O&C timber harvest quotas and managed to promote an old growth L.S.R. forest regime. L.S.R. forest conditions are more desirable for OHV recreation and better for the environment as a whole.%0D5. I support all of the OHV emphasis areas. I do not feel the 13 areas in the preferred alternative number 2 are enough to accommodate existing and future OHV rec
WC-949 WID-1306 None Interactive Map 1/6/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-950 WID-1318 None Interactive Map 1/6/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: I have been hunting the Lake Creek area from the age of 13 years old. I just turned 50 years old. I do have my favorite spots to get that big buck every year. I realize that there has been vandalism - i remember seeing it even YEARS ago. However, this goes with the territory and I believe falls under the category of MANAGEMENT. We hate it - I dont like it any better than you do. But what I realize is that the population is expanding at a rapid rate. And recreational lands are becoming less adequate than ever before. I am sorry but I do not see where enclosing, gating and blocking off MORE area in Lake Creek minimizes environmental impact but instead increases it due to the concentration of visitors to LESS area. More people equals %3D more available tax dollars %3D more MANAGED area (this does not mean CLOSED areas - closing is NOT managing). Additionally, there are several enthusiastic groups of off-road enthusiasts including MRA, Trail Tough Products, and Temporary Insanity off road club - (to name only a few of the eager and willing) eagerly and anxiously awaiting the opportunity to opportunity to help clean up after indiscriminate visitors to our lands ie- clean up runs, etc. We know there will be indiscriminate behavior - our job is to DEAL with it. NOT shut it off. Another point of interest is that we are aware that most of the fish bearing streams are channelled to Bradshaw reservoir and through the irrigation system providing CERTAIN Lake Creek ranches including Cascade Cattle Ranch - with irrigation to the point of emptying the pond and leaving fish floundering on the mud each year%21%21%21%21%21 Dont blame off-roading for ruining those fish bearing streams%21%21 No fire in the area has EVER been caused by off-roading including the one in 2002%21%21 However, ANY trail system in the area would serve as access to specific zones and create semblance of fire breaks. We realize that some land will be impacted from recreational use however, there are hundreds and thousands of wilderness, park, sacred 'monuments', burial grounds, archaelogical finds, ...but lands that have been used for 40years of healthy family recreation should be GRANDFATHERED as such an
WC-951 WID-1292 45387a2f-3e74-4fd0-916d-1abd3103b467 File Upload 1/6/2008 8:08:00 AM Please reject the WOPR.

Uploaded File:  WOPRComments.txt
WC-952 WID-1291 W-7d5cf89c-da10-479d-aa7b-d78ec9835c11 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 8:28:00 AM The best alternative is the "No Action" one. Logging old growth trees is a short-term solution to O&C county financial woes. Once the old growth trees are gone we will be back to where we are in trying to finance the county. Counties need to find other sources of income, and a carbon credit for preserved forests should be considered. Clear cutting old growth forest is not the answer to our economic problems. We must save endangered species habitats to the fullest extent possible. By providing habitat for the northern spotted owl and the marbled murrelet, and corridors between pockets of old growth forest, we are also protecting a host of other species reliant on that environment for existence. We must preserve the largest riparian zones possible. Silting of the rivers will destroy the already-endangered salmon industry. The riparian zones must also be as wide as possible to protect water quality. For all these reasons, increased logging will cause more harm than good. The best alternative is the "No Action" one.
WC-953 WID-1293 None Web Forum Exit 1/6/2008 8:51:00 AM not sure, will have to try again
WC-954 WID-1295 W-37908305-c79d-4ad8-a4aa-64b1015ff6a8 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 10:07:00 AM In July 2006 I purchased a nice house in Philomath. My interest in living in Western OR derived from my love of the outdoors and the outdoor recreation and wildlife viewing opportunities, hiking in the forests, and just enjoying the spectacular scenery. Any proposal to increase logging is not acceptable to me and negates the entire reason for buying a home here. I want to be near wilderness and wildlife, not a clearcut. Another reason to preserve the forest is global warming. Every time a tree is cut down, global warming is that much more accelerated. We need to think in terms of protecting the entire planet, not just a small piece of it. Clearly the alternative of keeping the current management plan, and logging the minimum possible, is the one I very much advocate as a local homeowner and lover of outdoor recreational opportunities. There is no way to destroy habitat and make it okay! Sincerely, Janice Stanger
WC-955 WID-1296 W-48096851-d1d2-49ed-bcf5-7ebb62818501 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 10:43:00 AM I am stridently opposed to the plan. It is no more than another sell-out to the logging industry, and will do irrepairable damage to water quality and wildlife habitat.
WC-956 WID-1297 W-708c3c7e-0ca6-4ab4-8448-16b56d0233be Draft EIS 1/6/2008 11:34:00 AM NO! Stop the gutting of our public lands! The Clinton Administration's Northwest Forest Plan was a hard compromise of environmental and economic concerns. The BLM's current exercise is an ethically undefensible, politically driven strategy to present an appearance of seeking a new compromise between conflicting forest land uses. What it really does is guarantee further erosion of forest land preservation. If the BLM is truly interested in an objective exploration of the range of options, the "No Change" option must be in the middle of the range, not presented as an extreme edge of options under consideration. The WOPR "options" are a travesty. As flawed as the Northwest Forest Plan may be, the current BLM "options" are horrendous, especially given the overwhelming evidence since NWFP's implementation that the planet is rapidly losing its ability to sustain human life. And the "preferred alternative" is the worst of the list of ethically untenable "options" presented. Please add my voice to those pleading for a contemporary look at the demands placed on the lands under BLM responsibility. That contemporary look MUST include carbon sequestering. Even riparian protection is a weak sister to this new context. A few feet of protection is critical to our watershed protections but does little to protect our airshed. Please reject the "preferred" alternative and take immediate steps to properly manage our public lands for the true "greater good". Sincerely, Steve Gab
WC-957 WID-1299 W-8c169c58-5789-4ebc-b6d9-b3125b9b09b3 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 11:58:00 AM To whom it may concern: First, thank you for an excellent website to view the BLMs Draft Environmental Impact Statement and provide comment on the proposed alternatives. Excellent format and very user friendly! I wish to voice my support for Alternative Two of the Draft EIS. Due to the nature of my work and the location of my home, I spend a great amount of time in Linn and Lane County forests on a regular basis. I believe that the human species should leave a "soft footprint" on the landscape but I believe that we can do that without the extremism of ultra-environmentalists who favor an agenda that would end access and harvesting of the state's forests. Alternative Two of the Draft EIS addresses environmental concerns with regard to wildlife and plant species. I believe it is a sound and fair plan that will renew the health of our forests through active management and harvesting. There must be compromise in order for all species to inhabit this planet. By responsibly caring for our environment we can care for ourselves as well. The mindset that it's "either/or" with regard to harvesting our forests is a debilitating mindset that serves no useful purpose. We can be responsible for this earth and all species and leave a "soft footprint" while at the same time harvesting the timber within our counties in Oregon. The key word is "responsible" and I believe the BLM has provided such a responsible plan with Alternative Two. Respectfully, Diane Moore
WC-958 WID-1302 ef09b5c8-9909-4076-a5e8-7f451cf371ff Draft EIS 1/6/2008 12:32:00 PM I am very conerned about any plan that would increase logging to the extent the proposals seem to. Maybe you, and Oregon residents in general, do not care that much about spotted owls. But I believe that they do indeed care hugely about the salmon runs. All types of salmon are in trouble already. And with the plans to log further into riparian areas, siltificaton will surely degrade the streams further. and put the fish into greater danger. I think if you took a poll of Oregonians as whether they favored maximum logging over a plan to allow only some logging in order to save the salmon, that they would vote to save the salmon. Save the salmon AT ALL COSTS! Sincerely, Bob England 2758 Bowmont Drive, Eugene, 97405
WC-959 WID-1303 ef09b5c8-9909-4076-a5e8-7f451cf371ff File Upload 1/6/2008 12:32:00 PM

Uploaded File:  letter to the BLM.1.08.doc
WC-960 WID-1301 ef09b5c8-9909-4076-a5e8-7f451cf371ff File Upload 1/6/2008 12:37:00 PM What a mistake. We are opposed to any increase in logging.

Uploaded File:  wopr.doc
WC-961 WID-1304 W-2dc8c998-b41d-4e45-9e42-b663660cae82 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 12:45:00 PM As a 54 year old, nearly lifetime resident of Oregon, I strongly appose the alternative 2 plan for manageing BLM forests in Western Oregon. I STRONGLY oppose increasing the clearcutting, road building, and logging of ancient forrest in the plan. These lands should have protection for old growth, streams, and wildlife habitat. Alternative 2 will lessen the quality of life for Western Oregon.
WC-962 WID-1307 W-e0fbfccb-2132-4a9f-a710-1e69432a40a6 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 3:01:00 PM my family has been going on blm land for years. it might be just driving, hunting, fishing, or off roading. blm land is suppose to be public land. it gives us areas to go and be out in the woods. we like to go and see the sights and it is relaxing. almost every weekend all year long we are on blm land, you take that away, what are we to do? i hear talk that it is because of motorcycles and off roading that is the main concern for the closers, but motorcycles are only aloud certain times a year. how many fires have been caused by a motorcycle? the people complaining are mostly living next to blm land. i understand they not liking the hunting, driving, or noise, but they made the decision to live there. they should have known what was next to their property when they bought.
WC-963 WID-166 W-e07ed4dd-2c3b-4de9-bfa5-e564ca7c84de Draft EIS 1/6/2008 3:51:00 PM The following is a direct quote from the WOPR, Chapter 4c pg 778: "Since off-highway vehicle emphasis areas are specially managed to accommodate motorized recreational activities, visitors seeking nonmotorized forms of recreation would be dissuaded from using these areas. If they did engage in nonmotorized activities within these emphasis areas, the quality of their experiences would be diminished as a result of the limited compatibility of their activity with off-highway vehicle riders. In general, however, off-highway vehicle emphasis areas help segregate these user groups, resulting in an overall improvement in the quality of experiences for all visitors." Why is the BLM using such euphemistic language? "Dissuaded" ??? "visitors seeking nonmotorized forms of recreation would be dissuaded from using these areas"??? Excluding some users from an area results "in an overall improvement in the quality of experiences for all visitors." If a person wants to hike in an area, his experience would be "improved" by being excluded from the area??? How many days did some BLM employee work to create such mealy-mouthed words? If you check Webster for "mealy-mouthed", you will see it defined as "insincere". If the area is set aside for OHV use only, SAY SO! Call a spade a spade. Who are you trying to deceive? Then, consider "regeneration harvest"... What other deceptions is the BLM devising? If the BLM is serious about building trust and credibility, euphemisms are not appropriate.
WC-964 WID-166 None Web Forum Exit 1/6/2008 4:05:00 PM The "confirming" view of my comment appears to eliminate paragraph formatting. Without such breaks, the comment appears to one long paragraph ... if not one long run-on sentence. The loss of such formatting detracts from the claity and emphasis of the submission. Anyone reading the submission will be challenged to maintain interest.
WC-965 WID-1309 W-24c7fa9e-092a-4177-b261-fe60d47ec149 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 4:27:00 PM The Western Oregon Plan Revision states that this alternative to the Northwest Forest Plan was selected because it would "maintain the late-successional and old-growth forest ecosystem and provide a predictable and sustainable supply of timeber, recreational opportunities and other resources at the highest level possible." Yet, it appears that old growth harvest is being considered. I support sustainable timber harvests of second or third growth timber, but harvesting old growth would not be in compliance with the Endangered Species Act or the Clean Water Act. Rep. Peter DeFazio has proposed a plan which thins overstocked and fire-prone forests, rather than logging old growth forests. His proposal would produce at least twice the timber volume currently provided by the Northwest Forest Plan. Old growth forests are at risk and forest health is declining. Please consider Rep. DeFazio's proposal. Thank you.
WC-966 WID-166 W-38e02787-541d-4c5f-bb11-bbbb18e165cd Draft EIS 1/6/2008 4:42:00 PM In the December WOPR Newsletter #8, there is an incorrect statement in the section on the Off-Highway Vehicle Emphasis Areas. The Newsletter states, "Designation as an "Off-Highway Vehicle Emphasis Area" does not mean this area would necessarily be managed to promote or attract future OHV use." This statement contradicts the WOPR. The WOPR states (Chapter 4, page 778), "By designating these areas as off-highway vehicle emphasis areas, there would eventually be an improvement in off-highway vehicle opportunities that would result from an increase in developments. This would result in more concentrated levels of off-highway vehicle use within these areas… …riders would be attracted to greater opportunities within these developed emphasis areas." The WOPR does not say "maybe", it says "would be attracted". If I shot a cougar between the eyes, it would be dead. Not "maybe" dead.. It would be dead. Can we agree on the use of the English language? I am sure that you will agree that rewriting or reinterpreting the WOPR during the comment period is not appropriate. As for "promoting OHV use", I am unclear how you will not promote OHV use. If you simply put it on a map, you are promoting it. If you post a sign at a trailhead, you are promoting it. Incorrect statements in BLM Newsletters are not acceptable. An incorrect statement in BLM Newsletter during the WOPR public comment period is being dishonest.
WC-967 WID-166 W-9fce039e-e871-44d9-97c9-64c1d0b3e60e Draft EIS 1/6/2008 5:00:00 PM The BLM selected the 13 Medford District OHV Emphasis Areas because they are currently being used by OHV riders (Mail Tribune 10/29/07). The fact that certain practices have existed for 40 years does not justify their continuance. Executive Order 11644 and Interior Department 43 CFR §8342.1 requires the BLM to locate OHV trails considering "the compatibility of [OHV] uses with existing conditions in populated areas, taking into account noise and other factors." A key word in this sentence is "existing". It does not refer to 40 years ago. It does not refer to 1995. It says existing - meaning "today". If conditions change in the year 2018, the BLM is required to recognize the conditions in 2018 and make accommodations for the "existing conditions" in 2018. The checkerboard intermingling of BLM land and private homes makes the Executive Order and CFR critical to the allocation of lands for OHV use.
WC-968 WID-1313 72c1ef5d-1df6-4082-a135-a2f7aa5aa9ce File Upload 1/6/2008 5:05:00 PM

Uploaded File:  wopr.doc
WC-969 WID-166 W-195623c7-0bc7-4c9c-900f-5388ebe698e9 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 5:08:00 PM The BLM claims that intensive management of an OHV Emphasis Area will solve all the past abuses. This is not a realistic claim. Despite decades of experience, he BLM has yet to adequately manage existing trails. Future Federal funding prospects are doubtful. Will there ever be enough money to staff a daily presence to prevent trespass, property damage, and damage to the environment? In a one-mile square section (640 acres), how can an officer detect an off-trail excursion by a dirt biker a half mile away in a forest, or detect the trespass a half mile away? If an officer cannot control the transgressions in a 640 acre section, how many officers are needed to police the proposed 100,000 acres and how many people are needed to repair the damage caused by OHV use? What is the BLM going to do to repair the conditions in the Bunny Meadows / Timber Mountain northeast corner lands, closed by OHV damage 5/18/07? Where are the funds coming from? How will the BLM control the remaining lands open to OHV use? What is the budget? The BLM should be more realistic regarding the effectiveness of "control and management" claims. The best approach is to recognize that "control and management" is not practical. Any area set aside for OHV use should be considered "sacrificed". Hopefully, the BLM can identify robust environments that can best sustain the OHV use. Alternately, the BLM must be willing to accept the environmental damage to the designated area, and at least contain the damage to a limited area.
WC-970 WID-1314 b7a3d509-6b84-4bfc-9a25-b03bb7fd3e97 File Upload 1/6/2008 5:55:00 PM

Uploaded File:  WOPR Response.doc
WC-971 WID-1316 W-fefa7feb-adcf-4de4-9c6e-e5e87182c179 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 6:41:00 PM I find the information provided in this web site to be extremely vague. Sustainable? are we trying to sustain a timber industry? or forest? I'm not sure what the current management plans are but here are my concerns in plane english and hopfully you can apply them as they relate.The timberlands already established as second growth should be managed as such and harvested no faster than they are reproducing themselves with alowance for average forest fire loss factored in. Most importantly all remaining oldgrowth needs to be preserved for the immense number of ways that they benefit wildlife, water quality, air quality, global warming, outdoorsmen, and humans in general and for no reason should they ever be "salvaged" even after a fire, for several reasons to include temptations for arson. No roads, no motorized vehicles etc. I've worked in the timber industry for most of my life, I own timberland, and fourwheelers, but these relatively few remaining gems are far to valuable to alter. Thank you. sincerely, Ron Robinson
WC-972 WID-1318 W-e4dbe743-681e-49ff-a4c9-0c3fcc40b511 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 6:56:00 PM We need MORE trails, MORE OHV area, MORE hunting and fishing areas and LESS CLOSED BLM GATES !!!! - we currently have access to 97% of our PUBLIC lands. Your OHV plan will diminish that number to ELEVEN PERCENT ???? and our Gestapo Land NAZI commissioner Gilmore wants to cut that down even further to THREE percent?? That number should NOT decrease!!! We need to keep and MANAGE that 97 percent - not close it. Our other 2 commissioners do NOT agree with him nor does the public voice!! Concentrating people to tiny designated sections will cause more impact to the land as opposed to having concentrations dispursed among MORE area. MORE area not LESS!!!! Keep our public recreational lands PUBLIC!!!! SHARE THE LAND!!!! Save our childrens future recreational areas.
WC-973 WID-1321 W-d69d2a70-c4dc-4d6d-bcab-4730e95b4a67 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 7:23:00 PM I want you to save and protect the old growth forest from logging. I live in a logging area and there are clear cut areas all over with many areas left to clear. these clear cuts are and have always been a terrible thing to do to the environment. The heavy rain here causes the hillsides to wash right down. I can't believe Oregon allows this I would hope Oregon could move beyond such practices. If for money you have to lay waist to these forests. Please leave some old growth for future generations that may find ways to stop the devastation that any current form of logging produces.
WC-974 WID-1322 W-39013d12-c44c-4d49-b659-44a98a455db1 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 7:27:00 PM WOPR COMMENTS; Please first let me inform you that after spending over an hour writing my comments on the daylightdecisions.com web site, the site had timed out and my work was lost. I´ll copy and paste this time. My requests are simple. I ask you to abandon the alternatives you´ve developed and work with the conservationists on a forest service type plan. This will prevent lawsuits (Rogue Siskiyou has not been litigated in 10 years), allowing there to be some revenue from second growth thinning, while reducing fire danger and improving habitat at the same time. The price of lumber has plummeted anyway. We´d be far better off this way, at least for now. As a person who works long and hard on the county revenue problem, I am one of the growing number of people who are becoming committed to seeking other avenues to make up the timber funds. Also, please DO NOT let ATV´s run amok in the public forest. That is a tiny group of people that don´t care about the huge impact they have on the environment. The great majority does not want them in our public forests, period. Sincerely, Buck Eichler, President, Jackson County Employees Assn. SEIU Chair, SEIU 503 Local Government Council (Statewide) Buckup2000@charter.net 505 South Grape St. Medford, Or. 97501 541-261-5997
WC-975 WID-1325 W-c3d26f5e-088a-4c74-8bcd-5cccfe59a67d Draft EIS 1/6/2008 8:46:00 PM The WOPR Goals don't seem legitamit. Goal #2 undermines and opposes goal #1. How can you maintain and succure the survival of threated spieces if you deplenish their natural enviorment? I am i frequient visitor/ tourist of Medford Oregon areas and i love the wildlife and nature as natural as it can be. i believe human involvement to safeguard or improve nature is a foolish idea. Leaving Natural eco systems to replenish themself is the correct method. thanks Mike
WC-976 WID-1324 33860415-5877-4286-aec0-2b983118a664 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 8:57:00 PM I would like to propose the no action alternative to be used. I believe this best represents the interests of fisheries and avian wildlife due to the larger riparian reserve. I am also concerned that the cutting of tall trees reduces the retention of water vapor resulting in drought conditions and higher temperatures in the region. Although I am an urban dweller, I utilize the forests for recreation, enjoying hiking, fishing, birding, camping and wildflower viewing. I feel the value of recreation by tourists to the region is diminished with the further cutting of the beautiful and unique forests in Oregon. Lastly, the forests serve as a continuum of the natural world that is diminishing while we gain more man made environments. Thank you for your time, Pamela Carpenter
WC-977 WID-166 W-dd8b4855-9e3c-4608-8244-c45e48829837 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 9:03:00 PM Regarding the OHV designations of "open", "closed", or "designated trails", the BLM is taking a positive step by eliminating the "existing trail" designation. The "existing trail" designation has been unenforceable. Without full documentation, and without sufficient funds to map such a trails, the designation has been subject to widespread abuse. The BLM will have a challenge to document "designated trails", but at least the concept is solid, and once designated, the trail map can be stabilized, promoted, and enforced.
WC-978 WID-345 W-75ccd23f-1f72-4b86-9bc2-d5937fa06007 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 9:47:00 PM Why is the implementation of the NFMA different for the BLM than for the FS? Does the FLPMA nto supercede the O@C Act?
WC-979 WID-449 W-40267c02-e4b1-441a-a87b-c7b7575d8b52 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 9:53:00 PM I am writing to strongly oppose the BLM's Western Oregon Plan Revision (WOPR) Preferred Alternative, and to urge BLM to adopt the No Action Alternative. With less than 10% of old growth forests remaining in western Oregon, I feel it is important to fully protect all late successional reserves in the existing Northwest Forest Plan. These reserves represent the best areas for the development of forest with old-growth characteristics. These areas are of critical importance to the survival of spotted owls, marbled murrelets, and other species which require old-growth forest habitat. Restorative thinning in these areas can enhance the moisture-holding characteristics of older forests and reduce the threat of catastrophic wildfire. I also feel that all riparian reserves should be expanded, not reduced, in width to protect water quality in streams where salmon spawn. Most importantly, I believe that all publicly-owned forest land should not be logged to generate revenue or profit, but protected for the recreational and aesthetic needs of Oregonians and visitors to our state. Randy Comeleo
WC-980 WID-683 W-1dd025d6-db4c-4f5d-8773-e5bd211fc306 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 9:59:00 PM I am writing to strongly oppose the BLM's Western Oregon Plan Revision (WOPR) Preferred Alternative, and to urge BLM to adopt the No Action Alternative. I am concerned about the harm to water quality and imperilment of fish from increased logging as proposed in the BLM Preferred Alternative. Reducing the width of riparian reserves is the wrong approach for protecting aquatic habitat for endangered salmonids in light of our current knowledge of the importance of intact forest beyond currently protected riparian buffers. Rather than logging in Late Successional Reserves, federal agencies should be actively thinning overstocked second and third growth stands and working to restore old-growth forest characteristics in older stands. With the recent realization of additional threats such as barred owl range expansion and global warming to the survival of the spotted owl, BLM should place top priority on accelerating the development of old-growth forest characteristics on older public timber lands. With so little old-growth forest remaining in western Oregon, I strongly believe that all publicly-owned forest land should be protected for the long-term development of old-growth characteristics to be enjoyed by all Oregonians and visitors to our state. Pam Comeleo
WC-981 WID-1326 1581bf54-c9d0-4e61-a10b-e2615bbec56c File Upload 1/6/2008 10:01:00 PM A letter in opposition to the proposed revisions.

Uploaded File:  Western Oregon Plan Revisions to BLM.doc
WC-982 WID-1328 W-a00bfc20-98af-4dfb-b859-f5c706cda489 Draft EIS 1/6/2008 10:45:00 PM Dear Sir or Ms. Please count my comment in favor of the preferred option concerning the WOPR. I am very concerned that the last 15 years has seen such a significant decline in clear cutting timber that edge dependent wildlife (especially deer and elk), numbers are in serious trouble. I was born in Oregon in 1946 and have hunted since I was very young. Please allow professional forest managers to do their jobs without interference from environmental extremeists. Thank you for your consideration, Donald Long
WC-983 WID-1340 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Use Table at pushpin 1022: I hunt and fish and ride an ATV in the hills. I'm also disabled and can't walk so I won't support a more restrictive ATV regulations. Punish the people that are tearing things up but don't ban off road uses of the ATV's.
WC-984 WID-1342 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_gen_ans: The area around Alsea Falls is a long time "escape" spot that is easily reached for residence of Corvallis, Philomath, Albany, Monroe, Junction City and Eugene. It is old growth forests worth preserving for the number of locals who use the area for camping and nature respite. We have been camping in this area for 32 years, raised our children camping here and will continue to take our grandchildren to this area provided greed doesn't eat it up.
WC-985 WID-1342 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from undefined: Your web site is almost impossible for the non professional to locate any place in particular. Personally, I feel this is a way to discourage public discourse rather than encourage it.
WC-986 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_industry|cb_timber|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_ohv|tb_gen_ans: jo county is still within reason to manage without govt restrictions. Locals take care of the land rather than what envirors think. no restriction or loss of timber revenues as mandated by the O&C ACT.Manage options are not listed what the O&C requires BLM. Draft EIS option for full management of timber and extractoion resources.
WC-987 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_timber|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_ohv|cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans: Jackson county is a diverse county and need for management set by local representative and need of revenues to provide the services other counties of the US. the land base does not suportt these counties anymore due to the restricted and court enjoined suits to prevent extracted resources from a land base that the government controls and not tax are recieved in lue of such control. the intent of congress has been to make sure these lands were supplying renues for the counties in lwe of taxes.
WC-988 WID-1361 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: I strongly oppose logging any more in Oregon at all. Just in my short life of 26 years I have seen many forests cut down. I know in my bones that this will contribute to the collapse of ecosystems, and thus to the collapse of the human race. Also, this is my home, how dare anyone destroy it. You already know all the reasons why cutting forests is harmful, I won't waste my time telling you again. Just listen to your heart, not your pocketbook.
WC-989 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Ownership: transfer to the state of Oregon if no valid increase in extractive resources option of eis. Oregon desires to manage is own lands as set by the constitution.
WC-990 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Ownership: transfer to the state of Oregon if no valid increase in extractive resources option of eis. Oregon desires to manage is own lands as set by the constitution.
WC-991 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_4_other: You have got to be kidding me on the comments squares.|tb_gen_ans: This county has more valued timber resource than the rest of the world of douglas fir and the largest of the O&C counties with high site forest land. Yet the governvent seen fit to burn it and restrictions that are unconsisble. This county with wise management not only could provide adquate funding for the county services it provides but also provide suffient funding to balance the federal debt........This county is the only county entity that built not one but i believe 4 reserviors major water project with it own funding...... O&C monies....,.Come on wake up and manage this district , and require a full investigation into the mismanagement of the forest Service contolled land of the Umqua NF. with these two the national strength of our would be relived not condemned to deteriation and decay as many would like. I support fully the EIS draft to select major timber and resource extraction.
WC-992 WID-1356 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Land Ownership: I would like the O&C lands transfered to the State of Oregon where there management would be in the interest of the public and would generate the funds for there management.
WC-993 WID-1369 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: There is so little forest left and with such a low percentage of it having Old-growth trees we should be preserving as much of the Old-growth as we can. I have visited Oregon several times to Hike and enjoy the big trees. If you cut them down, I will have to wait a 100%2B years before returning again.
WC-994 WID-1367 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_tourism|tb_gen_ans:
WC-995 WID-1380 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: end all clear cutting and maintain the minimum 300 feet buffer for all streams.
WC-996 WID-1376 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|tb_gen_ans:
WC-997 WID-1380 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: retired|cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|tb_4_other: water shed area|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans:
WC-998 WID-904 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|cb_ohv|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_onceamonth|tb_gen_ans: Anderson Butte is a very scenic location with nice trails for atv's and dirt bikes. It's a very fun place when it snows.
WC-999 WID-1376 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1000 WID-1383 None Interactive Map 1/7/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: Please keep logging to an absolute minimum. Having more expensive lumber is a small price to pay for preserving natural habitat.
USA.GOV  |  No Fear Act  |  DOI  |  Disclaimer  |  About BLM  |  Notices  |  Get Adobe Reader