Web-comments-1701-1800

# SenderID Ref.# Comment Tool Date Comment
WC-1701 WID-2247 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: the blm is a shameless whore'no make that pimp.burough 0f lazey men beaurogh of land massacree.the less you do the better. seriously,both the blm and usfs overcut like mad from the late 1970's to the mid 80's.
WC-1702 WID-2255 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: Old Growth forest right in my backyard. Grandmothers should be protected.|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: I will see a bare hillside where I once went hiking & to see the ancient trees. I do not want chemicals running offf onto my land. I do not feel it is fair for all these small private landowners to have their property values wrecked by the government.
WC-1703 WID-2257 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: I strongly believe we should maintain the original 1994 Northwest Forest Plan, which of all the plans, seems to be the most soundly based on solid science, good and environmental ecological practices and legal principles. The Pacific NW is a very special place, in large part due to the wonderful forests, wildlife and recreational opportunities we have here. Clear-cutting would devastate our forests and the environment.%0DThank you.%0DSincerely,%0DD. A. Pierce, Ph.D.
WC-1704 WID-2261 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_dirtbiking|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_ohv|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax
WC-1705 WID-2263 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_hunting|cb_dirtbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: Spotted Owls. old growth|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: I am a direct neighbor to this parcel & I am concerned about the impact of a clearcut on my property value & well water quality. I bought this property for the recreational possibilities that living next to this beautiful forested land afforded me & my family.
WC-1706 WID-2262 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_tourism|cb_government|cb_industry|cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_onceamonth
WC-1707 WID-2265 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: horse stables|cb_photo|tb_2_other: Praying|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: This parcel affords some great hiking trails w very diverse forest & canopy, historic spotted owl nest site. Have seen spotted owls. Do not cut any more Old Growth.
WC-1708 WID-2266 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_parttime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: I meditate & pray in the Old Growth patch here & I've hiked this parcel for near 20 years. have seen spotted owls & their young. Use this area for mushroom hunting & hunting.|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: I want to see this diverse forest protected- full of old growth fir, ceday & yew trees, spotted owl, piliated woodpeckers & diverse fungi. I do not want herbicide use or slash burns in my backyard. I am concerned about my well drying up or the water quality decreasing if this parcel were to be clear cut. I stridently protest the cutting of this parcel.
WC-1709 WID-2266 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: The EPA has harshly criticized the impacts of the WOPR as being detrimental to the water quality in Oregon. The Clean Water Act supersedes the O&C ACT. The WOPR is unacceptable.
WC-1710 WID-2237 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from undefined: It is apparent to me that regardless of how much opposition there is from the public to keep our earth green, have old growth forests to take our great grandchildren to, have fresh air to breath, and clean water to drink, the bush administration, the loggers, and even the people that are suppose to be managing the forests for the people (the BLM) are contineuously disregarding public opinion, trying to rewrite laws, revisions, even the constitution to force thier agenda. These lands, these forests, these rivers and streams are essential for the the natural cycle of life to occure. From a inviornmental perspective clearcutt logging devistates the ecosystem, the watershed, and increases global warming, just to name a few of the impacts. This doesnot take into consideration all the animals and creatures that live in these forested regions and the impact logging has had on them through the existance of the logging industry. I have lived in Oregon all of my life and I remember driving up th coast, how beautiful it was. Then they logged all the mountians in sight. Now it looks like a dam tree farm, they replant geneticly motified fast gtowing trees for mass production, then spray it with herbacides and pesticides to keep anything else from growing. This is highly detrimental to a goal of having a healthy forest, let alone safe water to drink, air to breath, or safe places to explore. As it stands it looks like the devistation of our planet is the bush administrations goal as well as the logging indestry, and the BLM, if this western revision plan is set in place. Personally I care far more about the earth, and all of its inhabitants to sit back and watch something like take place without speaking my voice. In all honesty it makes more sense to keep the last of our natural resources preserved, and find new inovative was to make and spend money. What happens when all the trees are gone%3F The loggers are going to have to find new jobs because they murdered the last of our sacred lands, and clean toxic free natural resources are going to be much harder to come by than they are now. For the record I care for all of this land especially the old growth forests, and request tha
WC-1711 WID-2270 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: Forcing many OHVs into small areas will cause conflicts with neighboring landowners, will cause eroision, and will defeat the purpose of trail riding. I am a conservationist and love to ride and hike in the mountains. I have fought on both sides of this issue and "OHV reservations" are not the answer. Noise enforcement, trail maintenance, education, OHV licensing (simular to what is required for boat operation) are some options. If exhaust noise is enforced, more than 50%25 of OHV will be effected immediately. Thanks, Gage Freeman
WC-1712 WID-2181 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1713 WID-2181 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_boating|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1714 WID-2272 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 2: I think it is a mistake to remove the Late-Successional Reserves. I also am concerned with narrowing the Riparian Management Areas at the same time. Leaving the Riparian Management Areas as they were could eventually help fill the loss from the removal of the Late-Successional Reserves. But the Late -Successional Reserves shouldn't be removed until something can take their place.
WC-1715 WID-2270 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: The WOPR is disturbing in its entirety. Everything from timber to OHV is out of touch with what is happening here in the N.W. This will undue what little progress that has been made in the last 20 years. I spend most of my time in the Medford area and am discouraged with how hard this area has been abused. I can cover huge areas on a motorcycle and I can truly say that riding is not a very good experience anymore. If most people have seen what I have seen, they would be terminally depressed. Please help save what little is left. Thanks, Gage Freeman
WC-1716 WID-2181 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_boating|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1717 WID-2279 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: I am extremely concerned about preserving our forests and the wild and human communities they support. Increasing logging, adding roads, and reducing stream buffers are short-term solutions to budget concerns that will negatively impact future generations. The forests and wild areas are like Humpty Dumpty%3A They cannot be put back together again. We need to come up with other solutions to public funding that do not deprive us, our children, and the wild forest inhabitants of a future with the physical and psychological nurturing provided by old growth forests . My husband and I have put aside 13 of our 14 acres to support wildlife rather than take the short-term gains offered by development. We believe this is an obligation we have as stewards of the land. I want to believe there are people at BLM who feel equally compelled to preserve our incredible inheritance. These bright minds in BLM need to listen to their conscience rather than check their wallets when they determine the future of our forests.
WC-1718 WID-1025 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_ohv|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans: I support keeping this area open and managed for ohv use. In fact I would support expanding the current area for managed ohv use in order to spread out the users into a larger area, thereby minimizing the impact to the area.
WC-1719 WID-1025 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: I fully support managed OHV areas in the Medford District. In fact, I believe that the current OHV areas need to be expanded. Specifically, I feel that the areas identified in the current plan may not be enough for the Southern Oregon region. My family and I frequently use the OHV areas in the Medford District to participate in family recreation with our OHVs and it is a challenge sometimes to find an area that is not overcrowded. By creating more managed OHV areas, it would spread out the use over a larger area, thereby minimizing the impact on any one particular area. I would not support any fewer OHV areas since they are limited already.
WC-1720 WID-1025 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: I support alternative %232 due to the fact that it would potentially introduce some more areas that would be managed specifically for OHV use.
WC-1721 WID-2296 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: I believe that we have enough old growth saved in our state parks and wildernesses that we need to log this valuable rescource. You wouldn't go into any population and kill the younger generation to save the elderly. It would take a dozen of lives of the younger trees to save one old growth tree. Some of the younger trees also need to be thinned out for fire protection. However a bigger problem concerning fires in our area is the brush. Any revenue generated form logging a section should go back into that section for replanting, brush control, and misc. improvements%3B not given freely to government programs.
WC-1722 WID-2296 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Wildlife: Species have been going extinct for eons so what%3F%3F%3F%3F%0DOwls, worms, snails, shrimp, etc. some of these so called enviornmentalists need to get a life.
WC-1723 WID-2309 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 2: This does not allow the trees to grow long enough. We need to let our tree grow. There are other alternatives to using trees for building materials and due to our history of heavy logging the forests have become smaller with more light reaching the under-foliage meaning more underbrush, meaning greater and hotter fires. We must let our trees to just grow. Hemp is a great alternative for building material. Lets work on legalizing hemp cultivation and saving our forests so we always have fresh air to breath and shade to lie in .
WC-1724 WID-2309 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 3: This is the best alternative becuase it allows the trees to grow the longest which is the best thing we can do for the earth. I encourage the idea of extending the tree growth time for as long as possible.
WC-1725 WID-2309 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 3: This is the best alternative because it gives the largest buffer zone between streams and the loggin areas. This is very important for the fish and all the wildlife that rely on the fish every year.
WC-1726 WID-2302 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Wildlife: I am really hoping that you will allow the old growth forests%0Dto remain intact... We have not yet realized the true%0D value of a large old tree, as an eco-system, home ofr%0Dso many kinds of animals, insects, etc.%0DPossibly the trees have medicinal value, they certainly%0Dsoothe my soul... and lift my spirits.. and make me smile.%0D They help to clear our air.. I read that they%0Dhave a longer DNA than humans.. We have perpetrated%0Dso much destruction on our Earth, at least we should%0Drespect this old life, until we wise up and learn what they%0Dreally mean for our lives... also, I fear my grandchildren%0Dmay never know these magnificent trees, and the animals%0Dwhich depend on the trees... Not only have our poor decisions brought on destruction, but the volcanos, the extreme weather, wars, so many things have been allowed to occur%0Dwhich are begining to show up as bringing us all closer to%0Dthe end of life as we have been able to enjoy it... Please%0Dthink of the future of our wonderful planet, and at least%0Dlet the very old trees live on, I am sure you will someday%0Dfeel pride in knowing that you did your part to save them.%0DThank you so much for your consideration, sincerely,%0DElizabeth Collins, a grandmother
WC-1727 WID-2317 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: If the old growth forest are cut down it would be a huge travesty. There has to be a better way to collect timber while at the same time protecting the environment as much as possible. There has to be things more important than money in this world.
WC-1728 WID-2308 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: I am opposed to all alternatives that expand the number and extent of "OHV emphasis areas". The explosive increase in the number of OHVs is widely recognized by the BLMs own employees as the single greatest threat to public lands (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) press release, June 28, 2007, available online at http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peer.org%2Fnews%2Fnews%5Fid.php%3Frow%5Fid%3D879). It is utterly unconscionable for the BLM to pander to this tiny minority of public lands recreationists by promoting an activity which erodes virtually every other possible land use. At a time when the BLM cannot adequately police the public lands from rampant OHV use, it is a clear abdication of their responsibility as land managers to establish new areas which it will be even less able to control. Where I live in Jackson County, many of these OHV emphasis areas are near towns and homes, there are serious safety issues which cannot be ignored and will only get worse, not to mention, the noise, crowds, pollution, erosion, and the harm to wildlife. Land that becomes trashed by OHVs after only a few years (or in some extreme cases, after only a single weekend of mud-bogging) can pretty much never be used for any other purpose in the future. Sacrificing land as "OHV emphasis areas" is not land management, it is land liquidation, which is not what the BLM is charged with doing. The BLM needs to recognize the severe danger that OHV use, which already completely overwhelms the ability of the BLM to police it, means to public lands, and to create alternatives that protect lands from this danger instead of promote it
WC-1729 WID-2199 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: studying trees|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|tb_4_other: This place has the tallest DFs left on earth. The tallest are over 320 ft tall, the last of an ancient forest.|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: These tall trees have been sheltered from windstorms by proximity to a small knob. It is an accident in logging history and fire that they didn't get clear-cut yet. One of the only places you can see trees this big, except history books. They should be protected for the future generations to enjoy.
WC-1730 WID-2308 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: One of my greatest concerns with the proposed alternative is the severe increase in clearcut logging. It is time for public land management agencies to be done with clearcutting. Over 95%25 of old growth forests on Oregon public lands have already been logged. If public agencies cannot manage sustainable timber production on the lion' share of 95%25 of their lands without making deep cuts in this last few percent, then there is a serious flaw in public lands management. This is not sustainability by any definition, it is liquidation. The time for clearcut logging of public lands is past, and any alternative (including all proposed on the WOPR) that calls for dramatic increases is based on flawed reasoning.There is, however, a more fundamental problem with the increase in clearcut logging, particularly that of the preferred alternative. The BLM cannot, by administrative decision, eliminate congressionally mandated protections for water quality, wildlife, and endangered species. To attempt to do so, by the preferred alternative, would be illegal, in addition to violating the Northwest Forest Plan.It is unconsionable for the BLM to ignore or brush aside these comments as "too general" or "not specific to a section of the plan". They apply to every remaining fragment of forest on the public lands.The BLM, as a land management agency, should focus its efforts on timber production on those areas where timber removal and thinning are most essential%3A in areas that are overgrown from decades of fire suppression, and those areas at the wildland-urban interface. These are the areas where logging is actually needed, and where the BLM should actually be expending effort to manage their lands. It is a far higher priority to implement appropriate logging plans for thinning in the interests of true forest health and fire safety, than to liquidate some of the last remaining fragments of old growth. timber. As a public land agency charged with managing your lands for the greater public good, it is your responsibility to create alternatives that are beneficial to those who the many people who live near the lands you manage.
WC-1731 WID-2308 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: I recommend the adoption of the "no action" alternative instead of alternative 2. Alternative 2 is the most destructive in that it will result in a lower capacity for future timber production, continued degradation of water quality and wildlife habitat, increased erosion and outright destruction of public lands by out of control OHV use (which most alternatives actually encourage), and increases the probability and severity of extreme wildfires in both the near and far future. All of the other alternatives involve much higher levels of resource liquidation, not land management, and should be rejected by the BLM as contrary to its goals.I have been particularly disappointed by what seems to be a bias in the BLMs approach to this planning process. Four alternatives have been proposed with varying degrees of resource liquidation and increases in activities that damage and permanently destroy public lands. Selecting alternative 2, seemingly in the middle ground, while having the appearance of a balanced, middle-of-the-road approach, is actually a deliberate move towards policies that are not balanced at all, but destructive to public lands and the communities near them. The no action alternative, at least at this point, is the most balanced of all, and I recommend that this alternative be selected instead of alternative 2.Thanks for all of the hard work performed by the BLM in this process. Despite my recommendation of the "no action" alternative, the detailed work really clarifies the issues.
WC-1732 WID-2344 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: January 11, 2008I am a native of Western Oregon, born in Eugene, and I have lived on the Southern Oregon Coast and am now a Medford resident. With the exception of my time in graduate school, my life has been spent among Bureau of Land Management forests. I am writing today to encourage the BLM and my congressional delegation to look closely at proposed changes to the Northwest Forest Plan that would increase logging of mature and old-growth forest. Let%E2%80%99s take what we have learned through our time with the Northwest Forest Plan and focus efforts on protecting vital old growth stands and our low elevation forests. And let%E2%80%99s focus our efforts on forest restoration and managing previously clear-cut areas that have become overgrown and pose fire hazards in rural areas. %0DI remember as a kid how the log trucks with large diameter timber rolled through my hometown of Cottage Grove along Hwy 99. I can also remember how hard the Oregon economy was hit when our timber based economy began to change. The 80s were the beginning of some very uncomfortable times. In my hometown of Cottage Grove, loggers and millworkers were out of work, and my family%E2%80%99s business suffered from the national and local downturns in the economy. At the time, it seemed silly that concern for the spotted owl should over-ride someone%E2%80%99s ability to make a living. At my age, and at that time, it didn%E2%80%99t make sense to be surrounded by abundance and not be able to use it.%0DWe%E2%80%99ve learned some things over these difficult times %E2%80%93 we%E2%80%99ve learned the value of clean water, flora and fauna that is cared for, the natural beauty that brings people here to enjoy Oregon. Only now, as the reality of global warming is staring us in the face, do we see that the Pacific Northwest%E2%80%99s old growth forests mean more than just board feet waiting to be sold by a timber company %E2%80%93 they are actually vital to our world%E2%80%99s survival. Let%E2%80%99s not pull all the stops, remove all of the protections, and open up our land for a clear-cutting free-for-all that won%E2%80%99t benefit any of us in the long run. %0DI%E2%80%99d like for the BLM and my congressi
WC-1733 WID-2078 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_onceamonth|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1734 WID-1866 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from undefined: testing comment
WC-1735 WID-2078 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: I support " An Integrated Watershed Restoration Approach for all federal lands and specifically Bureau of Land Management lands located within the Applegate Adaptive Management Area." The long term goal is to create and sustain a healthy watershed with economic stability that is soically acceptable to the people of this region.
WC-1736 WID-1866 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM tb_1_other: Write, photography|cb_photo|tb_2_other: Enjoy nature, study vegetation, wildlife, birds, fungi, mosses, trees, rare flowers|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: Peace and quiet, beauty, nature sounds, sights, experiences
WC-1737 WID-2101 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: No more old growth logging. Do not use old growth to subsidize thinning. Absolutely do not haarvest when market conditions and prices are low.
WC-1738 WID-2101 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: Thinning should be thinning and not clear cutting. Returning the forest to healty conditions, including thinning, should be part of any logging operations.
WC-1739 WID-2101 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: Do not reduce watershed%2Fstream side beffers.
WC-1740 WID-2101 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: No more road building.
WC-1741 WID-2063 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: Water quality in the Little Butte Creek watershed is extremely important due to the presence of coho salmon, a species listed as threatened under the endangered species act. There are no practical means of ensuring that sediments exposed or disrupted by OHV off-road use will not be carried into waters of the state. There are a variety of soil types within these areas. There are clay soils in some areas, which, when disturbed, are carried by surface flows into the tributaries where the majority ot the colo spawn. I grew up within a few hundred yards of where three tributaries flow into Little Butte Creek. Salt Creek is one of those streams, which runs along one border of the property where I was raised. I have watched coho spawning in Salt Creek since I was about eight years old. The ODFW have conducted snorkel surveys in Salt Creek, some quite recently. Approximately 70 smolt were observed in a short stream reach about 2 miles up salt creek from the confluence with Little Butte Creek in recent years. ( May be verified by checking with ODFW at Gregory Road location, Central Point.) Sedimentation is a great concern in this area due to the danger of smothering reds. The fine clay sediments stay suspended in water for exceedingly long periods of time, and when they settle in stream, along with coarse soil sediments, they create a suffocating barrier. Such risk is unnacceptable, especially when we take into consideration the sacrifices people in agriculture and the timber industries are being asked to make at this time, in the name of water quality and fish protection. I am asking that the Little Butte Creek watershed be removed from consideration for OHV emphasis areas. Furthermore, I believe the best way to protect coho, as well as other wildlife, including song birds, black tailed deer, elk, ring tailed cats, (my cousin caught one in a trap by accident once in this watershed), predators, etc., is to restrict the use of off road vehicles in this watershed. I am an avid hunter and have many times witnessed the illegal use of ATVs for driving game out of the brush, where the "hunters" involved literally drov
WC-1742 WID-1214 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Water Quality: Revision on an earlier comment%3A While creeks in the Scappoose Bay Watershed do not have a 303(d) lisiting, sedimentation is listed as a concern in the DEQ database. There is insufficient information to determine listing status. The steep slopes of the upper watershed (where most of the BLM land is located) have high erosion potential in this watershed.
WC-1743 WID-1996 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans: This is where I live. We ride horses and go hiking several times a week up into the BLM land.
WC-1744 WID-1996 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_gen_ans: This area has a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers, as well as grouse, bear, deer and elk. I know that Pileated Woodpeckers are not endangered yet, but they are the next thing to the lost Ivory Bill Woodpecker, and their habitat needs protection%21
WC-1745 WID-1667 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1746 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear
WC-1747 WID-1996 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: The fish in Western Oregon, the Salmon, the Steelhead, the Cutthroat trout, have become increasingly rare and endangered across the United States. Please do not decrease the buffer areas that protect streams%21%0DOther animal species, the Piliated Woodpecker for example, need the old growth reserves%3B please retain the old growth reserves as much as possible%21 There is no short term profit that can possibly justify the extermination of species%21
WC-1748 WID-1214 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_importantspecies|tb_4_other: Eagle nesting and roosting sites|tb_gen_ans: This is an important parcel of land for eagles using the Scappoose Bottomlands and Sauvie Island. While the web map seems to indicate that this will be protected. The EIS is not clear. This information is very hard to intepret. This parcel of land should be protected.
WC-1749 WID-1667 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_mtnbiking|tb_gen_ans: The forest is a great underappreciated asset and draw for the city of corvallis. I and all my friends use it on a regular basis and many who bike came to corvallis because of it.
WC-1750 WID-1433 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 2: RMA protections in Section 11, Idleyld Park, are incorrent and contain an error. There is an unamed stream shown with minimal RMA protection, but it has a history of debris flows caused by failure of logging roads. These debris flows have created excessive turbidity in the North Umpqua River (I have photographic evidence). Consequntly, this map needs to be corrected to indicate an RMA of at least 100 ft for debris-flow prone streams. That said, given the steep and debris-prone nature of this entire ACEC hillside, it would be much wiser to retain this ACEC in its current size rather than reduce it as all of the alternatives do. Richard Grost%0DPO Box 128%0D23457 North Umpqua Hwy%0DIdleyld Park, OR 97447%0D
WC-1751 WID-2211 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: To Whom it May Concern,%0D I will keep my comments short and to the point. My concerns about the WOPR plans fall into two of the categories you outline as "substantive comments%3A" Disagreements with Significant Determinations and Expressions of Personal Preference.%0DLogging of old growth forests in Oregon, to me, represents an assault on an ecological heritage that belongs to future generations. To justify this by claiming short-term economic benefits based on seemingly inflated figures of lumber value is simply tragic. %0DOne of the numerous substantive concerns of which I have read recently suggests that not only have BLM studies inflated the projected value of lumber from the proposed cuts, but that many sawmills are no longer equipped to process the large logs that would be produced under this plan. The question that comes to my mind then is, why would we promote logging climax forests instead of utilizing previously logged areas that presumably host smaller timber%3F%0DEconomic and practical issues aside, I find it difficult to believe that anyone reading this comment could honestly argue that logging our ancient forest is something that Oregonians as a whole desire. I sincerely hope that the BLM will listen to the public outcry surrounding this issue, and find an alternative to logging the old growth forests that belong to all Oregonians. %0DMy fear, however, is that political pressure from the current administration has supplanted scientific studies and public opinion as the currency of environmental decision making. This is truly disappointing.%0DThank you for reviewing these comments, and I do hope that the BLM will act in the best interest of future generations of Oregonians by preserving the scant old growth forests that remain in our state.%0DThank you,Jared Pruch
WC-1752 WID-1433 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Alternative 2: My property borders BLM lands in Section 11, Idleyld Park, OR. The land bordering my property is currently adminstratively withdrawn. All of the WOPR alternatives greatly reduce the amount of administratively withdrawn land, and will allow timber management that is visible from my property and so close to the North Umpqua River and 3 tributaries that it is certain to have a measureable negative impact on the view from the river and HWY 138, water quality and fish and wildlife habitat. There is currently an active eagle nest in this administratively withdrawn land that will also be affected by any nearby harvest. Changing any of this administratively withdrawn land to timber management is unacceptable to me.%0DMy suggestion is that the No Action alternative be selected, OR that all the alternatives be modified to provide MUCH wider riparian management areas along the North Umpqua River and all of its tributaries, and to retain all of the remaining mature and old-growth forests in this section as administratively withdrawn lands. They are extremely valuable in thier current condition as habitat for nesting eagles and other wildlife, to benefit water quality in the North Umpqua River and aesthetic views along the river and highway, and also directly benefit my own personal property and peacefulness. I support thinning of EXISTING reprod stands to promote commercial growth and increased stand diversity, but I do NOT support entry into remaining unharvested stands.Rich Grost%0DPO Box 128%0DIdleyld Park, OR 97447
WC-1753 WID-2135 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|tb_gen_ans:
WC-1754 WID-1433 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Areas of Critical Environmental Concern: %0DThe ACEC in Section 11, Idleyld Park, should NOT be retained as it currently is. All of the alternatives appear to reduce it in size, which will directly impact my property value and lifestyle as an adjacent landowner. It will also negatively impact views from the river and Hwy 1%6038, fish and wildlife habitat along the North Umpuqa River, and water quality in the North Umpqua River.Rich Grost%0DPO Box 128%0DIdleyld Park, OR 97447
WC-1755 WID-2135 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Off-Highway Vehicles: Off-highway vehicles are currently using the ridgeline east of East Evans Creek Road. This use is causing widespread erosion damage, including rutting and gullying. This area should be closed to all off-highway vehicle use.
WC-1756 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from No Action: I favor natural areas and wildlife over logging. I vote for the "No action" alternative.
WC-1757 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax
WC-1758 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear
WC-1759 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear
WC-1760 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax
WC-1761 WID-2219 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_hunting|tb_2_other: Praying|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: I hike here regularly & have seen spotted owls here. there is a beautiful old-growth patch that must be protected.|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans: I am nearby landowner, concerned about my water quality, as I have a home based water business. I do not want to see anymore old-growth cut- thin young plantations.
WC-1762 WID-2234 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: Hike here often to a wonderful patch of old-growth that I want to see protected. Have seen spotted owls here.|cb_onceaweek
WC-1763 WID-2238 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: %0DSpotted owls & old-growth trees|cb_onceaweek|tb_gen_ans: I do not want to see this parcel logged. Old growth should not be cut.
WC-1764 WID-2253 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_farming|cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_hiking|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|tb_4_other: I go mushroom hunting on this land. I see pileated woodpeckers & spotted owl. I do not want any trees older than 80 to be logged. this is a diverse forest- full of yew, cedar, grand fir- full of snags for wildlife.|tb_gen_ans: I am concerned that the water I use for my trees & plants will dry up from directly upland logging. I do not want to see any more old-growth cut- this ancient forest is diverse & vibrant with many species of both flora & fauna. Save this parcel%21
WC-1765 WID-1335 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hunting|cb_mtnbiking|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_boating|cb_birdwatching|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear
WC-1766 WID-2185 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from Forests: Please do not cut old growth. It is a unique ecosystem and can never exist again,.
WC-1767 WID-2212 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM Comment on DEIS excerpt from undefined: I am very concerned about the proposal to cut old grownt tracts in the acreage surrounding Alsea Falls. I have visited this area many many times since moving to the Alsea area almost 20 years ago. It is a diverse ecosystem that should be maintained and respected for future generations. It should not be logged for any eason in my opinion. The proposal is a bad one and I am totally against it.
WC-1768 WID-2212 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_daily|tb_gen_ans: Please save the old trees
WC-1769 WID-2212 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_tourism|cb_timber|cb_photo|cb_hiking|cb_fishing|cb_camping|cb_birdwatching|cb_fulltime|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear
WC-1770 WID-2212 None Interactive Map 1/11/2008 12:00:00 AM cb_fulltime|cb_spiritual|cb_importantspecies|cb_scenicbeauty|cb_relax|cb_1-4timesyear|tb_gen_ans: Please save the old trees.
WC-1771 WID-1959 W-42dae6ef-81fe-4232-81a0-17c93169dcdd Draft EIS 1/11/2008 12:05:00 AM There is no justification for timber level be sustained at such high levels. In fact all logging should banded in all forests. The counties can learn to get funds another way. The public school system can't manage the funds they have now, why provide more? Simply put; Global warming, rising energy carbon emissions, require every tree we can muster. Cutting down more will result in more damage to the planet. Can we really afford such a loose policy?
WC-1772 WID-1915 W-918fe5c7-b94f-4af3-ab99-9d08895089a9 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 12:07:00 AM Comments About the WOPR program foor BLM lands in Western Oregon. I favor continuing the status quo and studying some more possible escenarios that were not identified in the scoping. My point of view is from an earth scientist with a strong background in geologic risks, erosion potential and control methods and the importance of watershed processes and in trying to find a balance between exploiting more traditional economic values (focusing narrowly on timber harvesting) and the building of a complex economic base, less based on heavy extraction of timber. I feel that the study does not attempt to quantify other forms of economic value to the regions, which would result in minimizing the removal of large quantities of timber. The affected counties need potential income from the management of O & C lands. That said, the BLM should project into the future with an eye for the changes that are occuring and will continue to evolve to include income from smaller scale timber extraction, harvest of forest by-products, "green" and traditional tourism, vinticulture and other activities that would send dollars directly or indirectly into the States coffers. This of course, this means that the study process needs to develope parameters for these new facts based on local realities. Save more intact forest lands especially when they result in larger habitat blocks, groves and stretches of old growth trees and sum the value of clean air and fresh water. Thank You for the opportunity to express my views. Sincerely, Michael James
WC-1773 WID-1959 None Web Forum Exit 1/11/2008 12:12:00 AM The system was slow, time out errors and in accessible at times. I think it says it all. You need to extend the comment period again, because this system is really poor. You can't send email, server to busy. You can't make requests, server to busy. Find another provider! Interactive map was inactive. We run a large scale data center and this is one of the poorest operations I've seen. If this was ours I'd give you your money back! Lowest bidder I bet.
WC-1774 WID-1963 W-11b13d97-a43e-44ca-8c81-860bc2630afb Draft EIS 1/11/2008 12:29:00 AM Dear People Not even one old growth tree should ever be cut again.I mean never!I think that raising the timber harvest quota for second growth timber is almost as rediculous as cutting the riparian zones down to 25ft.Does anyone ever look at the streams here in Oregon after a heavy rain?I mean really look.They turn into mud pits and that is due to one thing--logging.Wake up people and stop the greed before all we have left is a bunch of mud filled gullies and no Salmonids left alive, instead of what we once had-CLEAR CLEAN RIVERS!
WC-1775 WID-1964 W-f9452b66-705a-45f7-936c-355b5035cd35 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 12:38:00 AM 108 a sacred number heads up the sky is falling, because there's a hole in it the 2nd sign of man,s destruction but is there time before the deadline? is there time to pay for the sins of our grandfathers before the 3rd sign before our grandchildren cross the DEAD LINE ?????????????????????????????????????? thanks blessings United in Perennial Forests of Peace ieland 1-08 Dear Stewards of the Future, The DIES of the WOPR brings great shame and indignity to the nations principal conservation agency . It is most unfortunate that the very agency that is poised to protect and manage our public forests for the greater good has sided with those who seek only the profit of the Almighty dollar and to recklessly plunder the one Earth we all must share. The BLM has thus positioned it self in direct opposition to public interests, true conservationists and Forest defenders who seek souly to treat our Mother Earth with the love and respect she deserves. The authors of the WOPR claim that this revisions process will satisfy a settlement agreement with the Timber industry that "requires BLM to consider revisions to the RMPs by the end of the year 2008, and include at least one alternative that "will provide permanent forest production across the O&C lands without reserves except as required to avoid jeopardy under the Endangered Species Act."(footnote p.4.) The document therefore stands in direct contradiction to the repeated claims within the proposal which state that the "The plans will also comply with all other applicable laws"(p.3) If the BLM' wanted a legal solution, then how will the "purpose and need" be resolved by a settlement agreement? If the BLM has to follow all laws, why didn't they let the lawsuit be legally resolved? Moreover how will this temporary "settlement agreement" provide a permanent legal solution to public resource management? This document is an unwise and unethical plan to defraud the people of their public resources and rather than resolving anything the WOPR has created an unsettling disagreement of massive and tragic proportions. Human Being 1 Earth Place Universe 00108
WC-1776 WID-1964 W-d1611143-c2d9-45b5-b331-2c1d8c0b8dd9 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 12:40:00 AM 108 a sacred number heads up the sky is falling, because there's a hole in it the 2nd sign of man,s destruction but is there time before the deadline? is there time to pay for the sins of our grandfathers before the 3rd sign before our grandchildren cross the DEAD LINE ?????????????????????????????????????? In response to your inquiry; How to speed the redevelopment of structurally complex forests after regeneration timber harvesting. (cover letter) I admit certain and constrained difficulty in attempting to ground a position from which one can respond seriously to this non-sensical statement. Calling clear-cutting "regeneration harvesting" is a mischievously cutting line in itself. Is it possible that I am the first to state that regeneration harvesting is inconsistent with the redevelopment of structurally complex forests at any rate of speed? I honestly think, that i must be misunderstanding what this statement is suggesting. I know of no other perennial "crop" that is "harvested "in such a manner. I know of no other ecosystem that takes longer to reestablish its complex structure., which can continue for millenia. I can find no ground for reconciliation between regeneration harvesting any where in the definition of "sustainable yield". And can find no reason to support the conclusion for clear cutting at all on any land, anywhere at all, ever. I therefore state vehement opposition to all of the proposed alternatives. Surly there are many among you who perceive the many inadequacies of the WOPR, and we call upon you to join in opposition to the WOPR and to voice a willingness to call attention to addressing the need for a SWOPR to replace the Wasting Of Public Resources with an alternative to Solve Western Oregon's Problem Resource management. I am optimistic that together we create a peaceful future for our grandchildren to inherit a perennial forested Earth. United in Defense of Forests of Peace, Human Being 1 Earth Place Universe 00108
WC-1777 WID-1964 cd541810-2e4d-4b4a-bc5f-fa6f54f6ef8a File Upload 1/11/2008 12:50:00 AM Introducting the SWOPR 108 a sacred number heads up the sky is falling, because there's a hole in it the 2nd sign of man,s destruction but is there time before the deadline? is there time to pay for the sins of our grandfathers before the 3rd sign before our grandchildren cross the DEAD LINE ?????????????????????????????????????? thanks blessings United in Perennial Forests of Peace ieland

Uploaded File:  108 SWOPR.doc
WC-1778 WID-1964 W-5d10fffa-dd89-4237-b672-d9ef6b500936 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 1:14:00 AM Understanding how individuals, organizations, city, state and federal governments are developing capacity to meet the challenges of increasing environmental responsibility is the polar opposite of the strategy being employed by the BLM.
WC-1779 WID-1964 W-9938ca46-e190-4a77-9338-79ae2ea84bd7 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 1:43:00 AM This WOPR -what is it but a fraudulent, insidious and deliberate, though meagerly camouflaged tradition to sell public resources to private industry
WC-1780 WID-1967 W-e1712586-59b3-48ad-bf05-9757d7e9db1d Draft EIS 1/11/2008 5:49:00 AM Does the plan really suggest logging to within 25 feet of waterways? Come on! In my job when we replant a small riparian area we're talking about 180 feet, desired is 200 to 300 feet! 25 feet... my aching ass.
WC-1781 WID-1968 b7ee0f8a-762b-4ee7-aa2b-6059d9368f5f File Upload 1/11/2008 6:01:00 AM

Uploaded File:  Logging.txt
WC-1782 WID-1970 W-b4275242-bd6e-4101-b4d7-d240bbc97a88 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 6:13:00 AM Dear BLM, After examining the alternatives, my preference is toward the No Action Alternative. My preference is for maximizing the size of the Late Successional Reserve, minimizing new roads, minimizing clearcutting. Sincerely, Keith Henty
WC-1783 WID-1973 a5ca5ff7-e1f6-48de-a4e2-2cb74df3e4ec File Upload 1/11/2008 6:39:00 AM

Uploaded File:  MRWOPRemailcomments.doc
WC-1784 WID-1803 311f05f2-46d5-4b3e-aa73-3f623a71dbff File Upload 1/11/2008 6:50:00 AM Please accept these comments on behalf of the Society of American Foresters

Uploaded File:  BLM.WOPR.doc
WC-1785 WID-1969 W-c17b1863-c67a-4b7b-9aef-e63af141ac6e Draft EIS 1/11/2008 7:07:00 AM I have not had the time to become familiar with your Draft EIS firsthand, but have reviewed your website some, and have followed the media reports closely. I oppose your preferred alternative. I would strongly prefer that you pursue an approach to timber harvest on these lands that is similiar to what is proposed by Congressman Peter DeFazio. Many of these lands, especially in the Coast Range, are stocked with young timber which can be thinned to provide timber for the mills. One of my biggest concerns is the increase in road building that is being proposed. I would point out what happened on the Mapleton Ranger Disrict when too many roads were built, and then not maintained. This led to many large landslides, resulting in the complete shutdown of logging on the District for several years. You should be very careful about constructing new roads, and should make local "spur roads" temporary "outslope" roads, as opposed to more permanent "inslope" roads, which have ditches and culverts which must be maintained regurlarly. When budgets get tight, this maintenance is likely to be one of the first things cut back. This would be very short-sighted, and likely result in an increase in slides, thus doing major damage to the water quality and spawning habitat. I will leave further technical comments to others that are more familiar with the document. I would like to comment on what I see as the political motivation behind this plan revision. As I understand it, this WOPR came about as a result of a settlement to a lawsuit from the timber industry. I believe this settlement was (at least partly) intended to force incumbent officeholders, such as Congressman DeFazio, to take a position on the plan. I fully expect Congressman DeFazio's Republican opponent to be Anna Morrison, a former Lane County Commissioner who is backed by the timber industry. In fact, I think that one of the plaintiffs in the lawsut was an organization she is connected to. This leads me to think that the entire exercise is being conducted to help the Morrison campaign. The management of these lands is critical to the residents of this area for many reasons. I believe this WOPR process hs been heavily skewed in favor of increasing timber harvest so as to increase revenue to the counties. This is very shortsighted. I believe that timber harvests can be increased some, but any increase should be done in small increments. Stream buffers should be maintained to at least the height of one tree on non-fish bearing streams, and 1.5 to 2 tree heights on fish bearing streams. Road building should be limited, and not over-engineered. Aerial harvest should be required in areas of soil instability (which is most of the planning area). Any harvest should be conducted in a way that can lead to a stand with old-growth characteristics in a shorter time frame.
WC-1786 WID-1976 W-e4370eff-7b57-4ac9-9629-bca70688de0a Draft EIS 1/11/2008 7:23:00 AM Are you guys nuts? I have spent my life outside as a river guide and fishing guide, mostly on the Rogue river. But I have probably been down most of the rivers in Oregon at some time or another. You guys really need to get out more because if you did you would notice that many of our brethren (fish, fowl, all critters) are having a difficult time of it. As I have watched populations decrease, I have noticed that the BLM seems to look the other way and think only of making money for the greedy SOBs in some distant place. I thought you were suppose to try and keep our lands and forests healthy but instead is seems to be the opposite. Come on! Drop this ridiculous WOPR thing. And please keep the 4 wheeler and motorcyles off public land. All should walk! Hayden Glatte
WC-1787 WID-1979 bcc272aa-f2ec-4bd0-8102-885e9445d929 File Upload 1/11/2008 7:23:00 AM

Uploaded File:  wopr.doc
WC-1788 WID-1983 W-dcfe8ae0-cd2b-440d-a093-dbdcf0be6959 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 7:39:00 AM I moved here 20 years ago for fresh air which is provide for by trees. You have a responsiblity from God to take care of our planet earth - not detroy it. Spend your time doing things that will make a difference in a postive way. The rewards will come back to you in ways you may never know until you get to heaven! God bless you all!
WC-1789 WID-1978 W-b81e63df-ee04-41fb-be3f-61ca2fc159d6 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 7:40:00 AM As the former lead wildlife biologist for the Glendale Resource Area, BLM Medford District,and prior to that, as a USFWS consultation biologist within the NFP area,I would like to provide the following comments. While I lacked sufficient time to review the draft EIS in depth, there are two areas where I would like to comment: 1. Northern Spotted Owl I am extremely aware of the pressure on the BLM to increase the ASQ. I am also very aware the ONLY place the NSO population is stable (and that is subject to interpretation, since recent data indicates even that population is in a slight state of decline)is in the Klamath Province. This implies the Klamath Province NSO population viability is absolutely critical in species recovery. However, truly meeting the intent of the ESA with regards to recovery of the northern spotted owl leaves me wondering how this recovery would be met under Alternative three. I do not find adequate discussion under environmental consequences to address species recovery or the real possibility of a declaration of jeopardy for the NSO if the LSR's are eliminated, as described in alt. 3. 2. Fisher With the notation under the environmental consequences section of p. 698 that under all alternatives natal habitat will be increased, how can that be the case if Alternative 3 results in additional forest fragmentation? Also, since FWS found that listing the fisher under ESA is warranted (but currently precluded), how can Alternative 3, which leads to substantial decreases in suitable fisher habitat and connectivity,address the ESA requirement that federal agencies not conduct activities which lead towards listing?
WC-1790 WID-1986 W-cad1ec2e-bc76-4da9-9738-b9a66c3abe7c Draft EIS 1/11/2008 7:53:00 AM This is the first time I have commented on any BLM proposal. My understanding of the WOPR is that it proposes cutting "old growth" trees. In all of my contacts with responsable foresters and biologists, their opinion is that we have surpassed any reasonable limit of our harvest of these trees, and should aboslutely protect what is left. I am concerned that the Bush administration is trying to serve its constituency of private and corperate timber industry supporters, while ignoring the health of the forest and the general population. It is also my understanding that economists have determined that "old growth" trees are worth more left standing, than harvested to benefit a few, while creating huge environmental problems for the next generation to address. I feel very strongly that the WOPR is the opposite of responsable forestry.
WC-1791 WID-1990 W-7ff14b37-b0f6-4f3d-a02f-2bccac9d9b0a Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:01:00 AM The management plan should remain as it is.
WC-1792 WID-1985 W-47556d7f-7c5c-44ee-957e-a20b4fa24e00 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:04:00 AM Dear BLM I am deeply concerned about the WOPR. It lacks scientific credibility. It proposes a return to the days of clearcutting. It is unacceptable. Massive clearcutting of old-growth was indefensible in 1994, and it is indefensible now. The WOPR is intentionally misleading in its use of sustainability. Sustaining a forest means conserving an ecological balance by avoiding long-term depletion of its natural resources. WOPR fails here. BLM ‘s WOPR process has wasted time and tax dollars. It offered a "false hope" to communities. Its voodoo economics would kill the one hope for the future of local communities, sustainable eco-tourism. How can BLM state that Alternative 2 is the most favorable to local economies when the tourism values and quality of life issues were totally ignored? Done right, timber could be harvested on BLM land in a way that creates a forest that is usable to the public for recreation, tourism resources, and quality of life values that attract business development as well as home-based entrepreneurs and service providers who create their own jobs and work from their home. A forest that retains its canopy and shades the forest floor has less underbrush that needs to be removed at taxpayer expense and is less susceptible to fire, which taxpayers are responsible for controlling. Lower fire hazards means safer communities. But BLM has not taken an approach where all stakeholders share the wealth of the forest. Its approach benefits only the timber industry. The tourism and recreation industries as well as the residents and business owners in the communities bear the cost but do not reap the benefits. The American public wants an end to un-sustainable clearcutting of old growth trees and forests. It is time for BLM to create sustainable forestry that aims to reduce the risk of fire to local communities. I recommend that the BLM start by protecting all old-growth forests and old growth trees which capture more carbon per acre than any other ecosystem on earth, and start to look at the existing tree farms from the past 60 years and get the small diameter wood products from thinning and fire hazard reduction. Our communities need the BLM to reduce the fire risk, not increase it. BLM needs to read the available fire literature and to use it. WOPR would put many of us at increased risk. This is not only absurd, it is dangerous. Scrap the WOPR. Barry Snitkin POB 2565 Cave Junction, Or 97523.
WC-1793 WID-1989 W-ac58e2a0-0530-4288-add0-268b31892b77 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:06:00 AM I am not in favor of any alternative that allows for the harvest of old-growth forests. I could be swayed by a plan that increases the amount of logging on BLM lands if there we no old-growth component. I believe a plan that includes old-growth harvest is premature until the spotted owl recovery plan is in place. Furthermore, since old-growth forests make up a comparatively small percentage of Oregon's forests, and since the marbled murrelet and northern spotted owl are federally listed species relying on old-growth forests for survival, the harvest of old growth forest can not be an acceptable part of any plan until recovery of the species is achieved.
WC-1794 WID-1993 W-01479dd8-1fa5-49c4-b764-c7fc70a04507 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:14:00 AM Old growth forests are critical to our state, our wildlife, and our way of life. They should remain untouched for generations to come. Newer forests have less biodiversity and should be logged first. My family and I take our relatives, our youth groups, our school kids out to the woods and all of them are amazed at the treasures we have here in Oregon. Please keep it that way. Thank you
WC-1795 WID-1759 c8cf4f92-3c6e-421a-a9c0-12fa6176220d File Upload 1/11/2008 8:19:00 AM Sent by Steven M. Croucher, President Motorcycle Riders Association

Uploaded File:  John Gerritsma.doc
WC-1796 WID-2001 W-3753a8e9-d973-4cdc-83ad-15c48978e357 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:32:00 AM Dear Sirs: I am responding to the Western Oregon Resource Plan (WOPR) that you are currently working on. I love the forest but I also love to hunt and fish and realize that life is a trade-off. Do I respect old growth forests - yes, just as I respect old folks in a rest home. They are part of our society and contribute, but where is the future? In our children! How much life does an old growth forest support? How much life does a clear cut support? As a hunter, I hunt the clear cuts as the freshly planted clear cut has food for the deer and elk and that is where you will find animals to harvest. I feel that our forests are like our society, a mixture of young, teen age, young adult, adult and seniors is a very good mix, just as in the forest! Now, how about jobs. A pristine expanse of old growth forest does attract tourist and does support a few service jobs to the community, but what about our youth? Where do they go for REAL Jobs? Jobs that will support a family? I don´t want to hear about Government handouts, either welfare for my children or for my county, I want JOBS for our citizens! From the tree cutter to the grocery clerk and beyond, when people work at real jobs that can support a family the peripheral jobs expand with the job base! For every X number of loggers you need a tax accountant, a lawyer, a doctor, a dentist, etc., etc., etc. Each of these people pays taxes that support his or her community and with those taxes our counties won´t need the government welfare called the safety net! Also, when you put people to work they generally have a pride about themselves and don´t get into the trouble that the very same person would if they were sitting on the couch collecting welfare… So, where do we go from here? Do we let the extreme environmentalists dictate to us how we don´t use our forests and let them keep our economy at a standstill (and let the Canadians work as they harvest THEIR FORESTS, and SELL THEIR TIMBER HERE) or do we go about creating jobs and start harvesting our forests? We have the technology now to be able to log and protect our forests, with some common sense, Government regulations and a plan; we can turn Western Oregon back into a thriving community where there are jobs for our children, not just retirement homes for the people from California, Nevada, and Arizona! Rick M. Richtik Roseburg, OR 97470
WC-1797 WID-1999 bb1d2477-f0d9-43bb-ac7c-69a994201696 File Upload 1/11/2008 8:33:00 AM

Uploaded File:  WOPR comments.doc
WC-1798 WID-1991 W-28b193f3-2073-433e-8e1b-056762a71a89 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 8:49:00 AM If the BLM has already received thousands of comments since 2005 ( as stated on this web site ), and is still pursuing it's preferred course of action ( vastly increased logging of old growth timber ), than one can only conclude two possibilities. Either there are thousands of timber companies and their employees making the comments, or the BLM doesn't give a fig what the general public thinks on this issue. In all this vast pile of verbiage, where is the tally of opinions, pro & con? In the decision making process, what value is placed on public input, 10%,5%,less than 1 but greater than zero, what exactly? I oppose clear cutting of forest ( old growth in particular) and the reduction of riparian zones in any BLM managed areas period. Does it matter? Karl Poehleman
WC-1799 WID-2008 W-0809bcbd-498e-4655-bb87-eeb77b495aa9 Draft EIS 1/11/2008 9:01:00 AM Please do not assist the Bush Administration in destroying the precious forest lands of Oregon. We all know the consequences. There is no competent arguement for this destruction. Oregon is such a special and beautiful place. We have already lost so much. Please do not follow through with this proposal. Think about the future of your children and grandchildren and what they will inherit. Thank you. Wynter Byrnes
WC-1800 WID-2003 W-2c930d91-147c-4193-ada1-7c78c030d12f Draft EIS 1/11/2008 9:02:00 AM I appreciate the opportunity to comment. At this juncture we do not anticipate that the Alternative #2 revisions will impact land use planning policies implemented by Multnomah County. As your maps show, there is very little BLM land in our jurisdicition and most is in areas where timber harvests are outright allowed uses that are not regulated by our office. There is some land within the Sandy River Wild and Scenic River corridor. The County has specific land use plans for these areas. While it appears that the deelopment potential for these lands is limited under this proposal, we would appreciate notice of BLM projects in these areas so that we can coordinate our efforts. Thanks again for the opportunity to comment. Derrick I. Tokos, AICP Principal Planner Multnomah County 503-988-3043 x22682
USA.GOV  |  No Fear Act  |  DOI  |  Disclaimer  |  About BLM  |  Notices  |  Get Adobe Reader