. .

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

National Historic Oregon
Trail Interpretive Center

Center Sights - Mine Site

When the California gold fields began to dry up, prospectors in the 1860’s began looking for more gold along the old Oregon Trail. Gold was discovered in 1861 about five miles from where Baker City now sits, sparking a new gold rush in eastern Oregon.

The Interpretive Center is located near the site of the Flagstaff Gold Mine which operated from 1898 to the 1920s. Its remnants can be seen on the north side of Flagstaff Hill. An outdoor lode mine exhibit features and a full-scale replica of a five stamp gold mill, used to pulverize and extract gold from rock, is a short hike from the building. During summer months check the calendar for scheduled gold panning demonstrations or programs on the geology of Eastern Oregon. A Geology Walk is also part of the trail system, please ask at the front desk for the booklet to this self-guided tour.

Mine Photo
Mine Photo