Northwest Passage, the Bureau of Land Management Magazine for Oregon & Washington, delivers breathtaking photos of the Pacific Northwest alongside compelling and humorous articles on the latest environmental actions, news, policies, and technologies.
With a highly visual style and glossy newsstand appearance, Northwest Passage connects with a wide audience of active readership from the BLM's own staff and retirees to local government, media, and the people who live, explore, and travel on our spectacular public lands in Oregon & Washington.
Northwest Passage - Issue 14
Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire
- Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire: Six months after Oregon’s largest fire since the Civil War, we look at the BLM’s rapid response to heal the land.
- Seeding the Land: In the aftermath of Oregon’s fires, the BLM’s Drill Repair Shop plays a key role in restoring our scorched public lands.
- Into the Woods: The BLM meets with our neighbors to create a forestry plan that benefits both our ecology and our economy.
- Chasing Waterfalls: Wanna shake off the cabin fever? Join our underground tour of some of Oregon’s secret waterfalls.
Northwest Passage - Issue 13
The Future of Oregon's Forests
- The BLM Wants You: The BLM reached out to returning Veterans with a unique job opportunity - to staff new firefighting teams protecting public lands in their own communities.
- Grazing Gone Green: Have a cow, man! To provide healthy habitat for local deer, Oregon’s cows have been enlisted to munch on their favorite greens.
- The Future of Oregon Forestry: The BLM has asked its neighbors to help usher in a future of forestry that balances the social, economic, and ecological values important to our communities.
- Plus Our Annual Photo Contest!
Northwest Passage - Issue 12
Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!
- Prehistoric Beast: In the neck-and-neck battle for archaeological supremacy in Oregon, it's a photo finish…and it's Beavers over Ducks – by a tooth.
- BLM on Film III: The Final Chapter: Yeah, yeah…we know what they say about sequels of sequels. But this one's gotta be better than The Godfather III, right? Right?
- The Horse Whisperer: Ever meet someone who trains wild horses with only the positive power of her mind? Get ready – because you're about to...
- Meet Bob Abbey: While catching us up on BLM news, national BLM Director Bob Abbey shared some early career advice he once had for a young guitar player named Jimmy Buffett.
Northwest Passage - Issue 11
2010 National Association for Interpretation Silver Award Winner
- Interview with the Secretary: Northwest Passage sat down with Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar to chat about youth employment, renewable energy, and fun voicemail greetings.
- X Marks the Spot: High-tech geocaching gadgets get kids off the couch and into America's Great Outdoors. Next stop? Jetpacks.
- Restoring the Land, Restoring the Human Spirit: The BLM partners with Oregon's at-risk youths to help rebuild the environment – and their future.
- Bridging the Gap: By design, the BLM's Shotgun Off-Highway Vehicle Trail System bridges the thrills of off-road riding with the careful conservation of Oregon's natural forests.
Northwest Passage - Issue 10
2010 National Association for Interpretation Silver Award Winner
- Oregon Youth Are Gonna Work It Out: A BLM youth employment effort has been a boon for an economically-challenged community in southwest Oregon. These youths will inspire you!
- BLM On Film: Walk the red carpet! Premiere a new ongoing series about motion pictures filmed on public lands in Oregon and Washington.
- Map Out Your New Year: The BLM and National Geographic present a gorgeous map of America's great outdoors. We speak with an expert about how to get out and see 'em.
- The Time Travelers: BLM archaeologists bring ancient history back to the future.
Northwest Passage - Issue 9
Future Forward: Faces of the BLM!
- Ancient Aeronautics & Other Mysteries: In search of prehistoric civilizations, antediluvian artifacts, and a hill with at least two bars of cellular coverage.
- Into the Light: Harnessing the renewable energy of our Sun to supply water for Oregon's high desert.
- Wild Mountain Nation: A long-term partnership between the BLM and a local community creates sustainable farmlands.
Northwest Passage - Issue 8
Celebrating America’s Great Outdoors!
- Blazing a New Oregon Trail: The BLM partners with a group of mountain biking enthusiasts to create a brand new series of innovative community trails near Portland!
- Youth Esprit de Corps: The BLM and the Northwest Youth Corps turn a summer job into the experience of a lifetime.
- Take It Outside!: Take a tour of the BLM’s ten districts in Oregon and Washington with our handy summer vacation checklist of must-see sites.
Northwest Passage - Issue 7
Take the Path Less Traveled!
- Ten Years Strong! - Celebrate the 10th anniversary of the National Landscape Conservation System with a spotlight on these special wilderness areas, wild & scenic rivers, national trails, and more!
- Mountaintop MacGyver: On a mission to clean up abandoned vehicles from public lands – one ’67 Ford Fairlane at a time…
- The Big Payback: BLM conservation efforts create local jobs!
Northwest Passage - Issue 6
Celebrating our First Anniversary!
- Where the Wild Things Are! A tale of urban teens training wild horses for fun and public adoption!
- Bring Me the Head of Medusa: The BLM turns noxious weeds to stone by defeating a legendary ecological predator to protect the environment!
- Home, Home on the Stage… Not TV…BLM-TV. A BLM actor transitions from stage to film to television to…to the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center? Yep. Read on for his story!
Northwest Passage - Issue 5
Take it Outside!
- The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner: The BLM’s national ultramarathon champ speaks with us about blood moons and 100-mile midnight races. And read his extended interview here!
- Brighter than a Thousand Suns: After 25 years of innovative public land management, the BLM’s Spokane District stands at the precipice of a new and exciting future that’s so bright they have to wear shades!
- The Legacy: Please join us as we take a look back at “Where Is He Now?” about famed former BLM mascot and 1970s pop culture icon Johnny Horizon.
Northwest Passage - Issue 4
- Extreme Mustang Makeover: 3,500 spectators join the BLM and the Mustang Heritage Foundation to celebrate America’s historic symbols of courage and freedom.
- Creatures of the Night: Join us, if you dare, on a midnight trip to study the BLM’s bats after twilight...
- 2008 BLM Photo Contest: See stunning photos from the BLM’s annual competition – a true sight to behold!
Northwest Passage - Issue 3
- We're an American Band: A BLM musician travels to Washington, DC to perform at the Inauguration of President Obama.
- The BLM Lends a Hand: Federal employees give back to their local communities.
- This Land Is Your Land: Whatever happened to BLM Mascot Johnny Horizon?
Northwest Passage - Issue 2
- A Shipwreck Rises from the Grave: Winter winds uncover a mystery off the Oregon coast.
- National Public Lands Day: Americans come together in a spirit of community service.
- Fighting Fires is Thirsty Work: How do BLM firefighters keep their cool?
Northwest Passage - Issue 1
- Ancient Coprolite Secrets: Oregon archaeologists discover evidence of the earliest human presence in North America.
- The New Carissa's Last Stand: Ten years after the shipwreck, the BLM plays a swan song to heavy metal.
- An Interview with Sasquatch: And we've got the photos to prove it...