Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway
United States Forest Service    |   Bureau of Land Management

In the midst of the Great Depression of the 1930's, President Franklin D. Roosevelt developed the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), known as the "Green Army", which put Americans back to work building thousands of structures and fighting forest fires on public lands.

Along the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway are many structures reminiscent of a time of unique craftmanship. You will see this rustic architecture in buildings, bridges, pavilions, and fire lookout towers along the route, several of which were constructed by the CCC between 1935 and 1939. Many of these structures survive today; others have been reconstructed to maintain the Cascadian architecture that blends so well into the natural environment. Even portions of the original highway were constructed by the CCC during those years.

Built to Last a Lifetime

Colliding Rivers Information Center - Located in Glide, this structure was built by the CCC in 1938, and has served as a ranger station, a home, and now an information center. Thanks to grants, volunteers, and hard work, the center was refinished and opened in1992.

Illahee Flats - The meadows of Illahee Flats were first used by American Indians as a meeting place to trade goods and gamble. From the 1920’s through the 1940’s, the Flats served as a pack-string rest stop, a fire guard station and a CCC complex. After the original gazebo (built in 1928) burned in 1997, a replica was rebuilt. To get there, follow gravel road 4760 (east of the Dry Creek Store, off Highway 138) for 1.6 miles; turn right on the 039 spur road and travel a short distance to the Flats.

Fire Lookout Towers

For a panoramic view of the surrounding landscapes, visit one of these fire lookouts between June and September:

Cinnamon Butte Lookout - 4 miles north of Diamond Lake, take Forest Road 4793, off Hwy. 138. Travel approximately 3 miles on the gravel road to the lookout.

Illahee Lookout - take gravel road 4760, east of the Dry Creek Store, off Highway 138, for 6 miles, then 4760-100 for 1 mile to the trailhead. Hike approximately 1mile to the tower.

Union Creek - This shelter was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and served as their community kitchen. The resort and camping area known as the Union Creek District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original structure is located behind the Union Creek Wayside.

Download the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway Brochure

The North Umpqua Segement The High Cascades The Upper Rogue Segment Segment Brochures