Address: 777 NW Garden Valley Blvd. Roseburg, OR 97471
Public lands of the Roseburg District, located in southwestern Oregon, contain some of the most productive forests in the world, including dense stands of Douglas-fir, hemlock, and cedar. The district is criss-crossed with streams and rivers that support sport fishing and contribute to anadromous (sea run) fish stocks vital to commercial fishing. An important mainstay of the local economy is the wood products industry, which acquires timber from both private and federal lands in the region. With Interstate 5 running through the middle of the district, and east-west state highways connecting Crater Lake to the Pacific coast, the Roseburg District draws many tourists to its scenic and recreation attractions.
Attractions & Recreation Opportunities
Visit one of Oregon's most beautiful rivers. Renowned for outstanding salmon and steelhead fishing and an exhilarating whitewater challenges, the North Umpqua River offers an ideal setting for many recreational pursuits.
The North Umpqua provides the right challenge for all types of rafters and kayakers, from the placid Class I waters to roaring Class IV rapids. The best months to raft are May, June, and early July. more>>
Cow Creek back Country By-way
The Cow Creek road is a 45-mile BLM Back Country Byway and Oregon State Tour Route. Its two lane paved road between Riddle and Glendale parallels Cow Creek and the railroad. The operating railroad follows the original Oregon and California Rail Road Company grade built in 1869.
History of Public Lands in Western Oregon
The checkerboard pattern of private and public lands throughout western Oregon resulted from events stemming from the Oregon & California (O&C) Railroad Land Grant shortly after the Civil War.
In 1869, Congress granted to the Oregon and California Railroad 20 sections for every mile of track it built. Congress made special provisions that no more than 160 acres would be sold to actual settlers for no more than $2.50 per acre. Some 3.7 million acres of western Oregon were patented to the company until it went bankrupt in the 1880's. The Southern Pacific Railroad resumed construction and in 1887 completed the line.
Southern Pacific violated the conditions over the next several decades, resulting in legislative action in 1916 to reclaim 2.4 million acres of unsold O&C grant lands to the General Land Office of the Department of the Interior.
BLM began to manage these forested lands in 1946 when it was formed by a merger of the General Land Office and the Grazing Service. The Roseburg BLM manages approximately 420,000 acres of O&C lands and revested lands from the Coos Bay Wagon Road grant under similar conditions.
To better visualize the extent of our District and the public lands we manage, look at this detailed map that shows major public lands, major roads and the boundary of both our District and Resource Areas.
BLM roads are identified numerically by a legal description based upon a rectangular grid, established from a point in northwest Portland, and spanning the State. From this point, Township grid lines run east and west; Range grid lines run north and south—each six miles apart. The resulting 6-mile squares called Townships are divided into 36 one-mile squares called Sections. Each section is approximately 640 acres. more>>