Buttes Trail Use Area Access and Directions
Motor vehicle use is not allowed on public lands between Barr Road and Cline Falls Highway, and to the tops of the Buttes. Key travel management changes include the following:
- The FAA Road (to the top of the southern butte) is closed to public use beginning at Cline Falls Highway.
- Bennett Road (westerly road at the FAA Road/Cline Falls Highway intersection) is closed to public motor vehicle use at Cline Falls Highway.
- The Cline Buttes Rock Pit Road is open for motor vehicle use, and will access the planned Buttes Trailhead. However, no motor vehicle use is allowed off this road.
- Eagle Boulevard is open for motor vehicle use between State Highway 126 and the northwest corner of Eagle Crest Resort and provide access to the planned Cascade View Trailhead.
- The unimproved communication site road (starting from the Cline Buttes Rock Pit Road and heading west) leading to the middle butte is closed to motor vehicle use and is part of the hiking, horse and mountain bike trail system.
Cascade View Trailhead
This trailhead will be located off Eagle Boulevard on the north side of the area and will accommodate about 12 trailers and 25 single vehicle spaces.
The Buttes Trailhead
This trailhead will be located on the east side of the buttes - off the Cline Buttes Rock Pit Road, and offer single vehicle parking (30 vehicle capacity) and a small picnic area.
- Buttes Trailhead Map (PDF)
From Bend Area
- Take US Hwy 20 NW for 6 miles NW toward Tumalo
- Turn right on Cook Avenue (in Tumalo) and take the 1st left to stay on Cook Ave.
- In 0.3 miles, take slight right to head north on Cline Falls Highway
- Go approximately 7 miles turn left onto the Cline Buttes Rock Pit Road (the paved road on the west side of Cline Falls Hwy). The Buttes Trailhead is proposed for the west side of the Rock Pit Road, about 3/4 miles west of Cline Falls Hwy.
From Redmond Area
- Take US Hwy 126/SW Highland Avenue West for 4 miles
- Take the Cline Falls Hwy exit, turning right (south) on Cline Falls Hwy
- Continue south for 2.8 miles to Cline Buttes Rock Pit Road to Buttes Trailhead. The Buttes Trailhead is proposed for the west side of the Rock Pit Road, about 3/4 miles west of Cline Falls Hwy.