Fire Alerts and Closures
When wildfires impact recreation areas, roads, trails and other areas used by the public, a closure may be issued to restrict public access to the area. These closures keep the public safe and improve firefighter safety by limiting the number of vehicles on roads in the fire area. These closures are temporary, and will be lifted when the area is safe for the public to re-enter.
Public Use Restrictions
When temperatures increase and we're experiencing problems with wildfires, travel and campfire use may be restricted. Watch here for temporary restrictions or for our annual restrictions along our rivers.
Industrial Fire Precaution Level
Road or Recreation Site Closures
Roads or recreation sites may be closed for construction, repair, or restoration. For road conditions throughout the state, you can also visit www.tripcheck.com.
- Temporary Closure of South Fork John Day Road April 16-17, 2014: The Prineville District BLM will be closing the South Fork John Day Road on April 16-17, 2014 to replace the bridge on Wind Creek Road. The closure is necessary as trucks and other construction equipment will be staged along the South Fork Road. For more information, contact the Prineville BLM at 541-416-6700.
- South Junction Campground Railroad Crossing (PDF)
- BLM Maupin Visitor Center closed for the season.
- Updated Information! Grant County Road Construction (PDF)
Wildlife or Plants
Sometimes human activities can harm our local wildlife and plants, and temporary or seasonal closures may be put in place. Look here for temporary or annual closures.
- Deep Canyon Wildlife Closure (Feb. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Dry River Canyon Wildlife Closure (Feb. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Fryrear Wildlife Closure (Feb. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Horny Hollow (part of Otter Bench Trail System) Wildlife Closure (Feb. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Maston/Jaguar Wildlife Closure (Feb. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Millican Plateau OHV Route #95 wildlife closure (Jan. 1 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
- Trout Creek Climbing Area Wildlife Closure (Jan. 15 - Aug. 31) (PDF)
Other types of closures or alerts may include information about events, hazardous conditions such as high snags or blue-green algae, or any other critical information that needs to be singled out.
- There are no closures in place at this time.