BLM Fire Employment Opportunities
Note: For Seasonal Fire Employment (excluding Camp Crew), you MUST APPLY ONLINE (see directions below).
Temporary Seasonal Position: RANGE AID and/or TECHNICIAN (Firefighter) GS-2/3/4/5
- Length of appointment varies depending on needs/funds but cannot exceed 1039 hours, excluding overtime and training, in a service year.
- Most temporary positions are paid via General Schedule (GS) grades, GS-2 through GS-5. Hourly rates for these grades change annually. Call the Burns District BLM at 541-573-4400 for current wages.
- All applicants must be United States citizens and at least 18 years of age by the time of appointment. Applicants with experience or training in the fields for which they are applying may qualify at higher grades. All positions require the applicant to pass a physical examination and drug test. All applicants will be considered without regard to political, religious, or labor organization affiliation or non-affiliation, marital status, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap, or age.
New Users - Registering and creating an online resume
Applications will be accepted on the DOI FIRES website. YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE!!
- Go to the FIRES website at http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9fires.asp
- Select the "New User" option and click the "Next" button at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in all the "User Information,"' resume data fields, and e-mail notification preferences, and click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page.
- Continue filling out the online resume by responding to the remaining questions; click "Continue."
- Your user information will be electronically stored and the system will assign you an ID number. (Store this number in a safe place!) You may use either your ID number or your e-mail address and password to log into the system in the future. Your registration is now complete and you now should be at the "Important Instructions for New Users" screen. This screen provides you with your ID number, your e-mail address, and your password. (It is recommended that you print this page for future reference.)
- After reviewing and storing your user information, click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page.
- Complete all questions on the "Required a response to be considered for any position" screen. When completed, click "Continue."
- Answer all "Resume Data Collection" questions, and click "Next." (Employment section is limited to 8 employment blocks.)
- After completing all questions, you will receive a screen indicating that "your registration information has been saved!" (This does not mean you have applied for a job, only that you have successfully registered.)
- YOU MUST CLICK "NEXT" TO START THE APPLICATION PROCESS AND APPLY FOR JOBS.
- You will be given a choice to view announcements by location or by job category. Select the "Job Category" item.
- Once you have selected an announcement, please follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once you have completed apply to an announcement, an online note will appear regarding successful submission of your application. (It is highly recommended that you print this page for future reference.)
Registered Users - Registering and creating an online resume
NOTE: Previously registered users to Quickhire are NOT automatically registered to FIRES.
- If you are already registered with DOI FIRES and your personal and resume information is up to date, select the "Registered Users" section on the login page and enter your ID number (or e-mail address) and your password.
- Select "Go to Jobs" and click on the "Next" button.
- If you need to change your personal or demographic information simply select the appropriate option. Remember: Your changes will not be reflected on your application(s) for vacancies that have already closed.
Applying for Jobs:
- To apply for a particular vacancy, first carefully read and respond to the vacancy application questions.
- Click on "Finished" to submit your completed application, along with a copy of your resume.
- Your application has not been submitted until a pop-up screen says, "Your application has been successfully submitted!" (It is highly recommended that you print this page for future reference.)
- You may log into the system and edit your responses to either the application questions or your resume at any time up until the closing date and time of the announcement.
Searching for Vacancies
After you have logged into the system, select the link for "DOI FIRES." Hit "Enter" and the system will display a list of job openings, or you can select the link for the Search Wizard. Once you have found a job that you are interested in, click on the vacancy announcement to view the full vacancy announcement.
About the Organization
The Bureau of Land Management, an agency within the Department of the Interior, is responsible for managing 270 million acres of the nation's public lands and resources. The BLM also manages the underlying minerals on an additional 570 million acres that are owned or administered in the 11 Western states, including Alaska, although some small parcels are scattered across the eastern United States. The BLM's national office is in Washington, D.C. There are 12 state offices with numerous field offices.