Burns Interagency Fire Zone
Current Fire Regulations
- Industrial Fire Precaution Level - Level 4, effective August 19, 2015
- Fire Danger Rating - VERY HIGH, effective August 6, 2015
Regulated Fire Restrictions
ENTIRE BURNS INTERAGENCY FIRE ZONE PUBLIC USE RESTRICTIONS
EFFECTIVE AUGUST 6, 2015
The fire restriction prohibits the following acts on federal land within the Burns Interagency Fire Zone:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire or stove fire, including charcoal briquette fire, except in developed campgrounds or recreation sites. Liquefied and bottled gas stoves and heaters are permitted. When used outside of developed recreation sites, stoves and heaters must be used within an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or clear of all flammable material.
- Smoking outside of a vehicle, trailer or building, except within areas barren of all flammable materials for at least a 3-foot diameter, or on boats on rivers and lakes.
- Operating any type of motorized vehicle without a shovel and a container with at least 1-gallon of water, or a fully charged 2.5-pound fire extinguisher.
- Operating any type of motorized vehicle off existing roadways or parking vehicles on roadways not clear of all flammable materials, berm to berm.
EFFECTIVE AUGUST 19, 2015
The Malheur National Forest portion of the Burns Interagency Fire Zone is also at Industrial Fire Caution Level four, but has more stringent public use restrictions in place, which include absolutely no campfires (even within designated U.S. Forest Service campgrounds) and no internal combustion engine operation, except motor vehicles.
Map of restriction area (JPG)
***Though usually accidental, human caused fires endanger communities, cost taxpayers millions of dollars every year to suppress, and can cause long-term damage to the environment. Use fire wisely! Remember: ONE LESS SPARK, ONE LESS WILDFIRE.
- CURRENT WILDFIRE INFORMATION
- Area Vicinity map for Burns/Hines (PDF)
- Employment Opportunities
- Fire Detection
- Fire Statistics
- Fire Links
- Pocket Cards
- Protection Resources
- Protection Zone
- Red Flag Program