Check out the Nevada 150 Photo Contest Winners!
News release: Winners Announced in BLM Nevada 150 Photo Contest
We're seeking amazing photos from amateur photographers that highlight the best of BLM Nevada’s lands and historical sites in these categories:
- Adventure & Outdoor Recreation - Share photos of your favorite activities and adventures on BLM lands across Nevada – camping, hiking, biking, boating, fishing, kayaking, skiing, climbing, riding, etc.
- Historical & Cultural - Inspire with images depicting historical locations and cultural events – from national historical sites and monuments to cultural celebrations on federal lands
- Scenic, Seasons & Landscapes - Capture scenic vistas and sweeping landscapes -- fall foliage, forests, winter wonderlands, flowers, mountains, deserts, canyons, lakes, beaches, rivers, and more.
- Wildlife - Take a walk on the wild side with photos of wildlife on BLM lands – mammals, birds, insects, reptiles. Keep your distance and stay safe!
Photos must be taken on the lands or within the facilities of the Bureau of Land Management in Nevada.
Photographs must be taken between January 1, 2011 and September 30, 2013 and contest entries are accepted from July 1, 2013 to September 30, 2013. Winners will be announced on October 31, 2013.
How to Submit?
- Only submit photos you yourself have taken
- Anyone in the photo must know they are in the photo and must have given written consent to appear in the photo.
- Photo Requirements:
- Photos must be submitted in JPG format
- Try to ensure that the photo is 300 dpi or at least 3MB or larger with high resolution (winning photos must work in print).
- Photo Descriptions should be formatted like the following example
- Image: Desert Tortoise
- Location: Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
- BLM District (if known): Southern Nevada District
- Photographer: John Public
How are the photos Judged?
Photos will be judged on the following criteria:
(i) originality, (ii) artistic composition, (iii) technical quality, (iv) photographic technique, and (v) whether the photograph showcases the best of BLM Nevada’s recreational opportunities.
We are looking for photos that will be featured in the BLM Nevada Planner for 2014. Plus, it's a fantastic way to "Share the Experience" and let others see and appreciate all the incredible BLM lands and adventures across Nevada.
Who's Eligible to Enter?
- Legal residents of the fifty United States and DC, and at least 13 years of age or older as of May 10, 2013.
- Amateur Photographers (less than 20% of your total income is from photography).
- Photographs must be taken by you and you must have the rights to the photo.
What Not to Do
- Do not alter of manipulate photos except for cropping, red eye removal and/or adjustment of contrast and brightness
- Don't break any laws or rules of federal lands
- Don't do anything unsafe
- Don't photograph anything that is inappropriate, indecent or obscene
What to Do
- Enjoy your experience and share it with us!
- Tell your friends
- Share your submission on Facebook or Twitter using #MyPublicLands