What Are Instruction Memorandums and Information Bulletins?
Instruction Memorandums (IMs) and Information Bulletins (IBs) are temporary directives that supplement the Bureau Manual Sections.
- contain new policy or procedures that must reach BLM employees quickly,
- interpret existing policies or
- provide one-time instructions
They are issued only when urgency compels release of a directive before the information can be incorporated into a Manual Section or when the issue treated is a one time occurrence.
Information Bulletins disseminate information of interest to BLM employees. They do not contain new BLM policy, procedures, or instructional material. They may:
- call attention to existing policies or procedures,
- transmit material such as publications and announcements,
- require an action or response from BLM officials such as confirming attendance at meetings, commenting on draft documents, or providing requested information.