U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT NEWS RELEASE
Carson City District
|Release Date: 07/24/13|
|News Release No. CCDO 2013-050|
BLM urges public awareness of extremely high wildfire danger
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Carson City District and the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) would like to remind the community to be aware of the increased chance of wildfire due to conditions resulting from a dry spring and recent hot temperatures.
“The public needs to be mindful of the dry conditions and the very high risk of wildfire.” said Shane McDonald, Fire Management Officer. “Everyone is encouraged to safely enjoy the public lands, bearing in mind that human-caused fires annually threaten human life, private property and public land resources.”
On June 28 fire restrictions went into effect prohibiting:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire (using wood, charcoal or any other material), campfire, or stove fire except a portable stove using gas or pressurized liquid fuel, outside of a developed fee campground or picnic area (except by permit).
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or at a developed campground or picnic area.
3. Welding, or operating an acetylene torch with open flames, except by permit.
4. Using or causing to be used, any explosive, except by permit.
5. Possession or use of fireworks (always prohibited), or any other incendiary device.
6. Use of tracer rounds, steel-core ammunition or exploding targets including Binary Explosive Targets while recreational shooting.
7. Open burning (e.g. weeds, brush and yard debris).
In 2013, there have been eight human caused fires and 32 lightning caused fires for a total of 28,588 acres burned on public lands within the Carson City BLM District. On BIA managed land, there have been two human caused fires and one lightning caused fire for a total of 3,200 acres.
For more information contact Lisa Ross at 775-885-6107.
The BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land, the most of any Federal agency. This land, known as the National System of Public Lands, is primarily located in 12 Western states, including Alaska. The BLM also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. The BLM's mission is to manage and conserve the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations under our mandate of multiple-use and sustained yield. In Fiscal Year 2013, the BLM generated $4.7 billion in receipts from public lands.
Carson City District 5665 Morgan Mill Road Carson City, NV 89703
|Last updated: 07-31-2013|
|USA.GOV | No Fear Act | DOI | Disclaimer | About BLM | Notices | Social Media Policy|