Volunteering is an American tradition that has made immeasurable contributions to communities, organizations, and individuals throughout the country.
Your contribution of time and energy will help us to protect the magnificent natural and cultural areas entrusted to us, and you’ll go home with a sense of pride at having participated in something worthwhile.
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is a part of your public land to help take care of and cherish.
Individuals, families, and organized groups are welcome to volunteer. Many opportunities are available for persons who are beginners to the highly skilled professional as well as opportunities for short term and long term commitments. Volunteering at Red Rock Canyon can be challenging and rewarding.
What are the benefits?
- You get to meet new people with the same interests.
- You get to learn about the desert environment so close to the city that we live.
- Free training on subjects such as geology, plant, animals, and native peoples.
- Best of all you get to play outside.
- BLM volunteers have the same benefits as federal government employees for compensation for work-related injuries and tort claims protection. Although volunteers contribute their services without pay, they may deduct out-of-pocket expenses on income tax returns within the limits set by tax laws. Deductions can include car mileage, meals and lodging expenses incurred as a result of volunteer work.
The only areas which prohibit volunteers are law enforcement, fire suppression, and participating on special use flights.
A few volunteer opportunity examples are:
- Information Desk
- Tortoise Habitat Monitor
- Trail Monitor
- Natural Resource Team
- Landscape Team
If you have an interest in volunteering your time and expertise to Red Rock Canyon we would like to encourage you to fill out the Volunteer Application form and send it to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area; C/O Cal Howell, HCR 33 Box 5500, Las Vegas, NV 89161.
For more information about these or other volunteer opportunities please contact our volunteer coordinator at 702-515-5350.