Enjoy your visit to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area? We are fortunate to have agreements with the following partner organizations that made a positive impact on your visit:
Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association
The mission of the Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association (RRCIA) is “to enhance the recreational, educational and interpretive programs of the Bureau of Land Management, and other governmental agencies, by providing materials and services to the public which promote an understanding and appreciation of the natural history, cultural history and sciences of Southern Nevada and specifically, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.” This is done via interpretation and education, sales, fee station staffing, professional and financial support.
Interpretation and Education
- Guided Hikes and Programs: RRCIA interpretive staff work hand-in-hand with BLM staff in presenting programs to school groups and the general public at Red Rock Canyon. Though RRCIA staff always lend a helping hand with visiting school programs, they shine in offering a variety of activities to our visitors. This can include hikes, tabletop presentations and programs on astronomy, geology and cultural history. Classes such as sketching and jewelry making round out their contribution.
- Mojave Max: Various programs and events are given to educate children about desert tortoises and the Mojave Desert habitat in which they live. Activities include classroom programs, assemblies, teacher workshops and the very popular Mojave Max Emergence Contest. Information can be found at www.mojavemax.com.
- Off-Site Education: Special programs are available for schools and community organizations. For example, RRCIA is working with local school students on an insect inventory of Red Rock Canyon. Programs are available for other groups, including senior living centers and at-risk youth.
- Professional and Financial Support: RRCIA provides support in many ways, including the design and purchase of interpretive signs, planning costs, trail creation and other projects.
Elements Gift Shop
All net proceeds from purchases at the Elements gift shop support a wide variety of programs and activities at Red Rock Canyon. Items offered include books, souvenirs, gifts and creations from local artists.
Through an assistance agreement with the BLM, RRCIA staffs the entrance station to Red Rock Canyon.
Friends of Red Rock Canyon
The mission for Friends of Red Rock Canyon (FORCC) is “the preservation, protection and enrichment of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Las Vegas, Nevada.” FORRC’s main purpose is to assist the Bureau of Land Management in developing and supervising a volunteer program at the Red Rock. Members volunteer thousands of hours each year assisting with graffiti removal, community volunteer events, trash pickup, trail maintenance, leading hikes, maintaining the visitor center grounds, staffing the information desk, monitoring cultural sites and other tasks. Fund-raising efforts include:
- Dedication Walkway: Sandstone tiles can be personalized with the names of loved ones and placed in an area near the visitor center.
- License Plates: FORRC receives yearly tax-deductible donations from the sales and renewals of a Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles license plate depicting Red Rock.
- Membership: Membership with the Friends of Red Rock Canyon provides support of education and environmental programs at Red Rock.
Other activities include an annual photo contest, administering a transportation grant program to bring school children to Red Rock, providing financial support of graffiti removal and organizing trained volunteers to work in our desert tortoise habitat.