The BLM Ely District will begin accepting applications for temporary seasonal firefighters on Monday, Nov 30, 2015. Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, March 29, 2016, but those submitted by Tuesday, Jan. 12, will receive first consideration. To learn more, click here.
The Ely District fire management program is diverse and dynamic, encompassing fire planning, predictive services, fuels management, fire suppression, emergency stabilization and rehabilitation, community assistance and protection, and public education. The program’s top priority is public and firefighter safety.
The District coordinates with other federal, state and local agencies as a member of Ely Interagency Fire Management. Cooperation between our federal and non-federal partners, local communities and individuals has further advanced our fire management successes.
Protect Your Home from Wildfire
- Keep trees/dense brush 30 feet from your home and remove dead vegetation.
- Trim your trees’ lower branches at the trunk to keep fire from the roof. Trim overhanging branches and clean the roof/gutters.
- Keep flammable materials away from the house/garage.
- Install spark arresters on small engines/equipment. Keep fire tools within easy reach.
- Mark your home’s access routes. Ensure that road signs and your address are clearly visible. Maintain two exits from your home, and plan/practice emergency evacuation routes.
- Keep a shovel/water nearby, and call 911 should a fire start.