- NV Energy on February 18, 2009, submitted a letter to the BLM announcing it's intent to postpone construction of the Ely Energy Center (EEC) pending the development of feasible carbon capture technology. In the same announcement, the public utility stated it would proceed with development of one of the associated 500 kV transmission lines that would connect the utility’s southern and northern electrical transmission systems to accommodate Nevada’s potential for renewable energy production. On April 2, 2009, NV Energy submitted to the BLM amended Rights of Way applications and a Plan of Development, formalizing its intentions to delay construction of the EEC. The EEC is a 1,500-megawatt coal-fired power plant that would be located approximately 20 miles north of Ely, in White Pine County, Nevada.
- The BLM in December 2008 issued a Record of Decision for the White Pine Energy Station Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS). White Pine Energy Associates, LLC, proposed power generation and related facilities, rail line, and transmission lines connecting northern and southern Nevada. The up to 1,600 MW power-generating plant, which could be built in up to three units of 530 megawatts each, would be in north Steptoe Valley, about 30 miles north of Ely. The FEIS was released to the public in October 2008.
- Great Basin LLC is completing the comprehensive Construction, Operation and Maintenance Plan required before starting construction of the Southwest Inter-tie Project. Great Basin LLC would construct the 500 kV electrical transmission line with Idaho Power. The line would extend from near Burley, in Idaho, to Las Vegas. The BLM signed a Record of Decision and Land Use Plan amendment for the construction, operation and maintenance, and termination of the line in November 1994. An Environmental Assessment for deviations in the right-of-way near Robison Summit, Coyote Springs and the Harry Allen substation has been completed to address changes from the original permit and comments are being reviewed. The northern portion of the line from the Ely District to Burley, ID is now being reviewed to see if additional NEPA is needed.
- Nevada Wind Co. has identified a 4,470-acre project area on the north Egan Range, and have installed anemometers at the site, and are today in the wind monitoring process to acquire data. The BLM Ely District expects Nevada Wind in 2008 to submit an application for a wind generation facility.
- Power Partners, LLC, has a ROW for two anemometers and a 4,528-acre project area for the Diamond Range, and are today in the wind monitoring process to acquire data for a possible wind generation project. They have submitted an application for an additional anemometer.
- Enxco, has a ROW for two anemometers and a 4,536-acre project area for the North Egan Range, and are today in the wind monitoring process to acquire data for a possible wind generation project. They have submitted an application for an additional anemometer.
- Boulevard Associates has identified and submitted applications for two ROW for anemometers and project area is (18,254 acres) in Copper Flat.
Projects of Interest
Select a project below to view the project website.