<< return to Nevada ARRA homepage
Lahontan Cutthroat Trout Riparian Exclosure
Riparian Maintenance Completed at Five Northern Nevada Locations
Project: Perform maintenance work on five riparian exclosure fences covering approximately 42 miles across northwestern and north-central Nevada.
The exclosures include:
• Washburn Riparian Fence, which is 7.25 miles long and 20 miles southwest of McDermitt
• Riser Creek Fence, which is 7.75 miles long and 20 miles southwest of McDermitt
• Mahogany Creek Riparian Fence, which is 10.25 miles long and is within the Lahontan cutthroat trout Instant Study Area, 36 miles southwest of Denio
• South Fork Little Humboldt River exclosure, which is 10.75 miles long and is within the Little Humboldt River Wilderness Study Area, 33 miles east of Paradise Valley
• North Fork Little Humboldt River exclosure, which is 5.75 miles long and 20 miles northeast of Paradise Valley
ARRA Funding Level: $249,000
February 2, 2011: $250,388 obligated, $250,388 spent. Maintenance on all five riparian exclosures is completed.
Contracts: Three separate contractors have been hired for:
• Fencing materials, MJK Sales & Feed, Craig, Colorado, $13,585.
• Maintenance for the Little Humboldt River riparian exclosures, L&I Fence Construction, Inc., Winnemucca, Nevada, $91,611.
• Maintenance for the Mahogany, Riser and Washburn riparian exclosures, AMJA, LLC, Grangeville, Idaho, $133,601.
Completion date: September 27, 2010
Jobs: The project employed 5 to 10 contract workers.
Local purchases: Contract workers made local purchases of food, fuel and other supplies.
Benefits and Needs: Habitat restoration for the Lahontan cutthroat trout will be improved through the maintenance of these riparian exclosures. The protection of the streams through exclosure maintenance will also promote recovery.
Background: Each exclosure was built for the protection of Lahontan cutthroat trout streams, and needed various repairs of the four-wire fence, associated accessories, gates, panels, and drainage crossings.
Washburn exclosure prior to maintenance. South Fork Humboldt Exclosure drainage crossing
after maintenance completed.