Guidelines for Groups
Student Trail Guide
The Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument is now offering free guided tours of the Slot Canyon to school groups. Please contact the Rio Puerco Field Office for more information.
For the enjoyment and safety of your school group, please observe these guidelines.
- For a free day-use pass contact BLM two weeks in advance for reservations at 505-761-8787.
- Private vehicles that are attending with the school groups will be charged a $5 fee at the fee booth.
- Park in the Bus/Oversize vehicle area.
- Pack out all lunch trash and remember to Leave No Trace.
- Maximum group of 65 suggested.
- Divide groups into 10 students with 1 teacher/parent when hiking the trails.
- Space groups (3-5 minutes apart) when hiking the trails.
Permit Process for Education Groups
The purpose of these procedures is to assure a rewarding and quality visit to Tent Rocks by avoiding excessive crowding on trails, picnicking and parking facilities and to assure compliance by visiting schools.
- Provide a lesson plan
- Must have an official school letterhead with fax number
- Must be an accredited learning institute to obtain a Free Fee Permit
- Call BLM 2-weeks in advance for reservation and scheduling at (505) 761-8700
- On school letter head, telefax to BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT at (505) 761 8911, to Attn: Jackie Leyba
- List number of students and chaperons (grade levels K-5 are 5:1 and 6-12 are 10:1), not to exceed 65 total visitors per day
- List the number and types of vehicles, not to exceed 5 private vehicles to accompany school buses
- List person(s) in charge with contact telephone number(s)
- Permits will be mailed to school contact prior to your visit
- “NOTE” groups exceeding 65 total visitors should schedule for two separate daily visits. 40 visitors per day is preferred.
- Facilities will be inspected before and after your groups visit. Groups not abiding by the Monument regulations and provided visit stipulations will not receive a permit for 1-year or longer depending on severity of violation
- School groups not having a current permit may be turned away at the fee booth or expect to pay $2.00 per person upon entry