Our job as land managers is to strike a balance between competing uses of our public lands to meet current needs and needs of future generations. The BLM’s mandate for multiple use of the public lands includes development of energy and mineral resources in a manner that conserves the multitude of other resources – natural, cultural and historic – found on public lands.
BLM New Mexico Facts
- BLM-New Mexico is responsible for managing all federally owned minerals in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas.
- We manage one of the largest oil and gas programs in the BLM.
- We operate and maintain the only helium storage reservoir and pipeline system in the nation.
- We have an active solid minerals program that encompasses copper, gold, coal, potash, salt, sand, gravel and other mineral resources.
- We are working with a variety of interests who are proposing development of alternative energy resources on public lands including wind, solar, geothermal and biomass.
- We’re also working with a variety of diverse partners to restore lands that were disturbed during energy development that occurred in a period of less stringent environmental standards.