The key messages regarding the EA pilot projects are provided in the bullet statements below. It is critical that the following messages be presented consistently among offices.
- The EA guidance from CEQ does not circumvent NEPA. It re-enforces the purpose of conducting an environmental analysis and stresses the four required components of the analysis.
- One of the expected products of the pilot projects is a shorter analysis document completed more quickly.
- The BLM has seven pilot projects that will test streamlining the analysis process using the CEQ guidance. BLM will identify what works, what doesn't and will work with other agencies to develop guidance around the lessons learned to improve agency efficiency in the future.
- The process does not lessen public involvement.
- The overall focus is on-the-ground, active management.
- The EA pilot projects are part of overall implementation of the President's Healthy Forests Initiative.