1221 (MT934.LC/DD) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 11/22/11
Information Bulletin No. MT-2012-011
To: Montana Dakotas Leadership, All Montana State Office Employees
Attn: Administrative Officers, Records Managers, and Program Leads
From: Deputy State Director, Division of Support Services
Subject: Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Handbook H-1221-1, Writing and Formatting Directives Handbook
The purpose of this Information Bulletin (IB) is to distribute the BLM’s revised Handbook to the Montana/Dakotas offices and to all program leads. The Handbook defines the specialized procedures to carry out policy and direction as described in the BLM Manual Section 1221. This release updates direction on the preparation of directives (manuals, instruction memoranda, and information bulletins) and is the how-to reference intended for use by administrative staff, authors, and managers.
The BLM Directives system is designed to:
- Provide BLM officials with the means to effectively and efficiently convey written instructions to users and to document BLM’s policies and procedures.
- Provide each originating office with adequate control over those policies and procedures for which it is responsible.
- Provide BLM employees with authoritative instructions and information to effectively and efficiently implement BLM programs and support activities.
- Integrate all Bureau policies and procedures into one recordkeeping system for easy reference and retrieval.
- Establish distinctive formats for directives which are recognizable as authoritative instruction, differentiate between permanent and temporary directives, and are clear, concise, and easy to understand.
Records Managers should remove all of BLM Handbook H-1221-1 (Rel. 1-1464) and insert the revised Handbook 1221-1
dated October 21, 2011.
If you have questions or require clarification, please contact Debbie DeBock, State Records Administrator, at (406) 896-5157; Anita McKenna, Management Assistant, at (406) 896-5187; or Lynnell Cellmer, Records Management Assistant, at (406) 896-5381.
Signed by: Authenticated by:
Diane M. Friez Jennifer C. McKinley
Deputy State Director Staff Assistant (MT934)
Division of Support Services