1283 (MT932.KB) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 7/19/11
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2011-063
To: Montana Dakotas Leadership
From: State Director
Subject: Verification of State and Field Office Data Stewards DD: 7/29/11
Program Area: All program areas.
Purpose: The purpose of this Instruction Memorandum (IM) is to request the verification or designation of data stewards for various business and data subject areas within the Montana/Dakotas organization. Attachment 1 lists these data subject areas and the current data stewards.
Individuals identified as data stewards do not have to be senior technical experts; they must, however, have in-depth knowledge of the business data and how it is used. For some business areas, more than one individual may be named.
Each district, division, and field office will review and update the information (in Attachment 1) confirming, correcting, or assigning a data steward to their respective program or business area. Return the updated spreadsheet to Kevin Brooks, State Data Administrator, via email (email@example.com
), by July 29, 2011. If there are missing program or business areas, please add that information, assign a data steward, and forward that as well. Data steward responsibilities are listed below.
Timeframe: July 29, 2011.
Budget Impact: None. Designating Data Stewards is an integral part of a successful data management program. Proper data management reduces risk to our organization.
Background: Proper data management is essential to meeting the Bureau’s mission. A data steward is a subject matter expert within a specific business subject area who is essential in managing our data resources as a corporate asset as designated by management. A data steward is one who manages facts or information to ensure it can be used to draw conclusions or make decisions. Data stewards are responsible for data requirements, standards, access rules, data quality, and other data activities for their subject area.
A data steward is responsible for:
- Creating data standards and business rules.
- Coordinating within our organization for quality assurance/quality control processes and procedures.
- Ensuring that data is managed as a corporate resource.
- Coordinating data sharing and data management activities across functional business areas.
- Distributing information on Bureau and state data management initiatives to program specialists.
- Facilitating data sharing with other entities.
- Reviewing geospatial and alphanumeric metadata for completeness and quality (including Federal Geographic Data Committee guidelines).
- Ensuring integrity and quality of the business data they personally create or update.
Manual Handbook Sections Affected: None
Coordination: The Branch of Information Resource Management (MT932) maintains the list of data stewards.
Contact: If you have any questions, please contact Kevin Brooks, Data Administrator at 406‑896‑5270.
Signed by: Authenticated by:
Katherine P. Kitchell Aleta Zahorodny
for Jamie E. Connell Staff Assistant (MT930)