4400 (MT923) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 12/22/2010
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2011-020
To: Leadership Advisory Team
From: State Director
Subject: Bi-Annual Water Quality Report DD: 03/31/11
Program Area: Soil, Water, and Air Management
Purpose: The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) State Director agreed to submit a report to the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) every 2 years to document how the BLM is implementing our non-point source Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). This data call is to collect information from the Montana Field Offices to include in this statewide report.
Policy/Action: Field Offices are to submit the following information to the state soil, water, and air program lead:
- A list of watershed groups your office has worked with.
- A list of total maximum daily loads (TMDLs) your office helped to develop.
- A summary of all actions taken to implement existing TMDLs.
- A summary of all watershed assessments completed that contain impaired streams. This summary should included actions taken to improve water quality (e.g., active restoration, changes in management).
- A summary of all inventory or monitoring completed on impaired streams (water quality or riparian). This summary should include actions taken or prescribed to improve conditions on all FAR static or non-functioning streams (e.g., active restoration, changes in management).
- A summary of all rehabilitation completed to improve water quality in impaired streams.
- A summary of monitoring of all rehabilitation projects addressing impaired streams (including before and after photos).
Previous submissions and reports are available to be used as templates.
Please coordinate with your riparian, fisheries, range, and engineering staff to capture all relevant work (e.g., restoration, erosion control, revegetation).
Timeframe: This Instruction Memorandum (IM) is effective upon receipt. The due date for field office submissions is March 31, 2011.
Budget Impact: This reporting is part of normal operating procedures so there is no additional cost.
Background: The BLM and the DEQ have been operating under non-point source MOUs since 2002. These MOUs require bi-annual reporting of water quality accomplishments. The next report is due to the DEQ on June 1, 2011.
Coordination: This IM and data request has been coordinated with field office soil, water, and air staff.
Contact: All office responses or questions should be submitted to Mike Philbin, State Program Lead, at 406-896-5041.
Signed by: Authenticated by:
Jamie E. Connell Melissa R. Dykes
State Director Staff Assistant (MT923)