1283 (MT9320.KB) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 12/21/09
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2010-025
To: Leadership Advisory Team
From: State Director
Subject: Verifying State Level Data Stewards DD: January 15, 2010
Program Area: All program areas.
Purpose: The purpose of this Instruction Memorandum is to designate or verify State Level Data Stewards and their data subject areas within the Montana/Dakotas organization. Attachment 1 lists these data subject areas and the current State Level Data Stewards.
Individuals identified as data stewards do not have to be the senior technical expert; they must, however, have an in-depth knowledge of the data and how it is used. In some cases, more than one individual may need to be named.
Please review the information on Attachment 1 and confirm or correct the named stewards as necessary. Responses should be sent to Kevin Brooks, State Data Administrator, MT93200, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org
), on or before January 15, 2010. If there are missing program areas, please add that information, assign a data steward and forward that as well. For data categories which have no steward listed or the name is for a previous incumbent, please designate a temporary State Level Data Steward. State Level Data Steward responsibilities are listed below.
Timeframe: January 15, 2010
Budget Impact: None. Designating data stewards is an integral part of a successful data management program.
Background: “The Bureau of Land Management is spending over $188 million a year collecting and storing information. This data is collected in many different ways and to many different standards. Much of this data is used once, or stored in ways that make it difficult to share or to aggregate in order to understand regional or National conditions or trends. Although technology and software has been developed to simplify both storage and sharing, current practices fail to take advantage of these tools. The Bureau must improve how data is collected, stored and used so it can meet its responsibilities to inventory and report on the condition of public land. Proper data management is an essential process to properly manage these lands.” (Managing for Excellence Data Management Subcommittee (MEDS), 2007).
What is the role of the State Level Data Steward? A data steward is a subject matter expert within a specific business subject area as designated by management. Data stewards have specific responsibilities for insuring that data collected and utilized in our organization meets our needs and is managed as a corporate asset.
A State Level Data Steward is responsible for:
- Creation of data standards and business rules.
- Coordination within the state for quality assurance/quality control processes and procedures on program data.
- Ensuring that data is managed as a corporate resource.
- Coordination of field office data management programs with the National Data Steward and State Data Administrator.
- Coordination of data sharing and data management activities across functional business areas.
- Distribution of information on Bureau/state data management initiatives to program specialists.
- Organizing data sharing with other entities.
- Reviewing geospatial and alphanumeric metadata for completeness and quality (including Federal Geographic Data Committee guidelines).
- Accountable for the integrity and quality of the business data created/updated.
Manual Handbook Sections Affected: None
Coordination: The Branch of Information Resource Management (MT9320), the Division of Resources (MT9200), and the Division of Support Services (MT9300).
Contact: If you have any questions please contact Kevin Brooks, Data Administrator, (406‑896‑5270) or Armando DeAnda, Chief Information Officer, (406‑896‑5169).
Signed by: Authenticated by:
Gene R. Terland Aleta Zahorodny
State Director Staff Assistant (MT9300)