4400 (923) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 09/05/2008
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2008-066
To: State Management Team
From: State Director
Subject: RIME Report DD: 10/10/08
Program Area: Rangeland Management
Purpose: The National Operations Center is collecting information for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2008 National Rangeland Inventory, Monitoring, and Evaluation (RIME) Report as outlined in Instruction Memorandum (IM) No. OC-2008-037.
Policy/Action: The RIME Report is to be completed in accordance with policy contained in the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Handbook H-4400-1 (Release 4-98 and 4-100), and the BLM Manual Handbook 4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated January 19, 2001), and instructions found in IM No. OC-2008-037. To assist in compiling the FY 2008 RIME report, Microsoft Excel spreadsheets for Field Office (FO) use and for State Office (SO) use are to be completed. Because no changes have been made in the past year regarding data required and spreadsheet format, each office should be able to reuse the spreadsheets used in FY 2007 by replacing 2007 data with 2008 data. Using the attached SO Excel spreadsheet, or modifying your FY 2007 submission, please consolidate your FO data, and send to the SO.
The RIME report contains seven tables; however, the FOs will only need to supply data for five of the tables:
- Part of Table 1, Ecological Site Inventory Summary, acres inventoried this FY will be collected from MIS; therefore, it is imperative that offices input this data into MIS in a timely manner.
- For Table 2A, Rangeland Inventories, the total acres available to be inventoried will be obtained from RAS.
- For Table 2B, Ecological Site Inventory, the total ESI acres will now only include the acres that were actually categorized to seral stage; ESI acres categorized to Unclassified, in historic RIME Reports, will no longer be included in Table 2B. Ecological Site Inventory acres in Tables 1 and 2A will rely on the acres reported in Table 2B.
- Table 3 contains data on monitored rangeland trend.
- Table 4 contains data on M, I, and C categories of allotments.
- Table 5 contains information on allotment monitoring.
- Table 6 contains information on allotment management plans. Tables 4 and 6 will be obtained from RAS.
- Table 7 contains data on current annual and cumulative achievements of the BLM’s Land Health Standards.
In summary, the FOs will only need to submit data for some of Table 1, most of Table 2A, and the entirety of Tables 2B, 3, 5, and 7.
Timeframe: This IM is effective upon receipt. The due date for the FO submissions is October 10, 2008.
Budget Impact: The effect of this IM on the budget is minimal because the required tasks have been reduced and no additional data are being requested, in comparison with previous years.
Background: The current RIME Report is the result of changes agreed upon at a FY 2004 Inventory and Monitoring/Range Program State Leads Meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. If the FO spreadsheets need to be resent, contact Floyd Thompson, at 406-896-5025, or Mike “Sherm” Karl, Inventory and Monitoring Specialist, Division of Resource Services at 303-236-0166.
Manual/Handbook Sections Affected: The BLM Handbook H-4400-1 (Releases 4-98 and 4-100) and the BLM Manual 4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated 1/19/01).
Coordination: This IM and data request has been coordinated with the FO Range staff involved with inventory and monitoring.
Contact: All office responses or questions should be submitted to Floyd Thompson, State Program Lead, at 406-896-5025.
Signed by: Gene R. Terland
Authenticated by: Melissa R. Dykes (MT-923)
SOMT – 1
Assistant Field Manager, Havre Field Station – 1
Assistant Field Manager, Glasgow Field Station – 1