4400 (923) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION –9/21/07
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2007-081
To: Field Managers
From: State Director
Subject: RIME Report DD: 10/15/07
Program Area: Rangeland Management
Purpose: The National Science and Technology Center (NSTC) is collecting information for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2007 National Rangeland Inventory, Monitoring, and Evaluation (RIME) Report, as outlined in IM No. ST-2007-044.
Policy/Action: The RIME report is to be completed in accordance with the guidance in BLM Handbook H-4400-1 (Releases 4-98 and 4-100), BLM Manual 4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated 1/19/01), and instructions found in IM No. ST-2007-044. To assist in compiling the FY 2007 RIME report, Microsoft Excel spreadsheets for field office use and for State Office use are to be completed. Because no changes have been made in the past year regarding data required and spreadsheet format, each Office should be able to reuse spreadsheets used in FY 2006 by replacing 2006 data with 2007 data.
The RIME report contains seven tables; however, the field offices will only need to supply data for five of the tables:
- Part of Table 1, Ecological Site Inventory Summary, acres inventoried this FY will be collected from MIS; therefore, it is imperative that offices input this data into MIS in a timely manner.
- For Table 2A, Rangeland Inventories, the total acres available to be inventoried will be obtained from RAS.
- For Table 2B, Ecological Site Inventory, the total ESI acres will now only include the acres that were actually categorized to seral stage; ESI acres categorized to Unclassified, in historic RIME reports, will no longer be included in Table 2B. Ecological Site Inventory acres in Tables 2A and 1 will rely on the acres reported in Table 2B.
- Table 3 contains data on monitored rangeland trend. 2
- Table 4 contains data on M, I, and C categories of allotments.
- Table 5 contains information on allotment monitoring.
- Table 6 contains information on allotment management plans. Tables 4 and 6 will now be obtained from RAS.
- Table 7 contains data on current annual and cumulative achievements
of BLM’s Land Health Standards. In summary, field offices will only need to submit data for some of Table 1, most of Table 2A, and the entirety of Tables 2B, 3, 5, and 7.
Using the state Excel spreadsheet, please consolidate your field office data, and send to MSO.
Timeframe: This IM is effective upon receipt. Due date for state submissions is October 15, 2007.
Budget Impact: The effect of this IM on the budget is minimal because the required tasks have been reduced and no additional data are being requested, in comparison with previous years.
Background: The current RIME report is the result of changes agreed upon at a FY 2004 Inventory and Monitoring/Range Program State Leads Meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. If field office or State Office spreadsheets need to be resent, contact Bill McIlvain, at 406-896-5028, or Mike “Sherm” Karl, Inventory and Monitoring Specialist, National Science and Technology Center (ST-170), at (303) 236-0166.
Manual/Handbook Sections Affected: BLM Handbook H-4400-1 (Releases 4-98 and 4-100) and BLM Manual 4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated 1/19/01).
Coordination: This IM and data request has been coordinated with field office Range staff involved with inventory and monitoring.
Contact: All office responses or questions should be submitted to Bill McIlvain, State Program Lead, at 406-896-5028.
Signed by: Gene R. Terland
Authenticated by: Kathy Iszler, Staff Assistant (MT-924)
SOMT – 1
Assistant Field Manager, Havre Field Station – 1
Assistant Field Manager, Glasgow Field Station – 1