- Documenting Categorical Exclusions (CX) Based on Section 390 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (MT-2006-063, dated June 29, 2006)
The purpose of this Instruction Memorandum (IM) is to provide a template for documenting the use of the statutory National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) CXs as granted in Section 390 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for oil and gas exploration and development. This IM supplements Washington Office (WO) IM No. 2005-247 on NEPA Compliance for Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Development (see link below).
- Cultural Resource Requirements for Oil and Gas Operations in Montana and the Dakotas (1-12-06)
This document clarifies current cultural resource requirements for oil and gas actions.
- NEPA Compliance for Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Development
Washington Office Instruction Memorandum No. 2005-247, September 30, 2005
This instruction memorandum (IM) provides guidance for improved NEPA compliance in oil, gas, and geothermal exploration and development operations on public lands. It specifically provides instructions for developing a range of reasonable alternatives in environmental impact statements (EIS) for oil, gas, and geothermal development projects; interim guidance on the application and use of statutory NEPA categorical exclusions (CX), as granted in Section 390 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, for oil and gas expoloration and development; expanded use of multiple well environmental assessments (EA) and EISs; expanded use of the Documentation of NEPA Adequacy (DNA); and consideration and application of Best Management Practices (BMP).
- National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 and Oil and Gas Permitting
Washington Office Instruction Memorandum No.2005-227, August 31, 2005
This instruction memorandum (IM) transmits the approved recommendations of the task Force on the NHPA Section 106 and Applications for Permit to Drill (APDs).
- Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Oil and Gas Development on the Public Lands
Best management practices (BMPs) are innovative, dynamic, and improved environmental protection practices applied to oil and gas drilling and production to help ensure that energy development is conducted in an environmentally responsible manner. BMPs protect wildlife and landscapes as we work to develop vitally needed domestic energy sources.
- Historical Records of Montana/Dakotas State Director Reviews (SDRs)
This log allows you to link to the various decisions and view the documents regarding the results of State Director Review (SDRs) from 1990 to current in the Montana/Dakotas in the oil and gas program.
- Indices of Federal Oil and Gas Regulations
- Federal Oil and Gas Automated Databases
- Land and Mineral Records -LR2000
This link provides access to information on federal oil and gas leases and agreements.
- Land and Mineral Use Records
The link allows users to search, locate, and display federal oil and gas leases and agreements on an easy-to-use viewer, and ability to create, print, and save maps.