Oil and Gas
We are in the process of having our mineral lease records scanned over the next several months. Some files may not be available for viewing and copying. If you need to see a particular file, please check with our office (406 896-5004) to verify if the record is available.
Click here to email the Montana State Office Fluid Minerals staff if you have any specific questions, or unable to locate oil and gas information.
State Director Talks Energy in BLM Montana/Dakotas - Letter
- Oil and Gas Leasing
Information on the federal oil and gas leasing program.
- Map of oil and gas producing areas in Montana and the Dakotas
- Expression of Interest Requirement Effective 8/3/2009
- Nominations Open for the 2010 Oil, Gas, Geophysical, and Geothermal Development Environmental Best Management Practices (BMP) Awards Program
- NEW--A Teacher's Guide to Energy on Public Lands
- Latest Updates on Oil and Gas
Provides latest updates on the oil and gas program on federal and Indian lands.
- Pending Applications for Permit to Drill
Provides a list of the proposed well locations submitted by operators on federal lands in field offices in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- Oil & Gas Operating Forms
Federal forms needed for oil and gas exploration and production applications filed on federal and Indian lands.
- Electronic Permitting
Information on filing electronic permits on federal and Indian lands via the Internet.
- Oil and Gas Operations
Provides regulations and procedures for drilling, producing, and abandoning oil and gas wells on federal and Indian lands.
- Reservoir Management
Provides regulations and procedures for filing exploratory and secondary unitization, communitization, spacing orders on Indian lands, and drainage protection on federal and Indian resources.
- Coal Bed Natural Gas
Provides information on coal bed natural gas (CBNG) activities located on the Miles City Field Office's Coal Natural Gas Information Page such as Public Comments Requested on CBNG Projects and Plans of Development (PODs), Planning and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Log, Pending Applications for Permit To Drill (APDs), Completed NEPA documents on CBNG Project and PODs, Other Completed State Government Environmental Documents, Monitoring Data and Ongoing CBNG Monitoring Projects, Guidance Document for CBNG APDs and Project PODs on federal and Indian lands for the northern portion of the Powder River Basin located in Montana, and CBNG references and links to various CBNG web pages.
- Geophysical Operations
Provides regulations and procedures for conducting geophysical operations on federal lands administered by the BLM.
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and Resource Management Plans (RMPs)
- Provides a link to the Planning and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Quarterly Status Report with the BLM contacts for Montana/Dakotas NEPA documents and RMPs.
- Natural Gas Policy Act (NGPA)/Tight Gas Sand Reservoir Information
This is a historical spreadsheet that shows the Natural Gas Policy Act (NGPA)Determinations/Tight Gas Reservoir Designations on federal and Indian gas wells which qualified under the NGPA when it was still in effect.
- Historical Records of Montana/Dakotas State Director Reviews (SDRs)
This log allows you to link to the various decisions and view the documents regarding the results of State Director Review (SDRs) from 1990 to current in the Montana/Dakotas in the oil and gas program.
- Other Oil and Gas Website Links
Links to various federal, state, and associations' oil and gas websites.