Two primitive cabins are available from December 1 to April 30. They are heated by wood stoves and lit by propane lights. Neither has electricity or indoor plumbing. Outhouses and potable water are near the cabins. Each cabin is furnished with cooking utensils and a propane stove.
- The Dahl Cabin has two full beds and two cots, and can sleep up to six people. It rents for $40 per night.
- The McDonald Cabin is a single room with two double beds. Four people would find it cozy but pleasant. It rents for $30 per night.
Garnet is not accessible by wheeled vehicles during the winter. Access is either by snowmobile or skis/snowshoes.
Because of the popularity of some weekends, reservations are given by a lottery system. After the initial lottery, remaining dates can be made throughout the season. The application deadline for the lottery drawing is the first Friday in November at 4:30 p.m.
To apply for the lottery drawing, submit the application below. We will notify applicants of the results of the lottery drawing by November 21. We will also send an information packet that includes maps, directions and the cabin’s lock combination for your dates. We will return the checks of unsuccessful applicants.
After November 21, reservations may be made by calling the BLM at 329-3914.
Permit Terms of Occupancy
1. A maximum of six people are allowed to stay in the Dahl Cabin and four people in the McDonald Cabin.
2. Smoking is not allowed in Garnet.
3. Disorderly or otherwise objectionable conduct by the occupants shall be cause for termination of this permit.
4. In order to prevent or minimize bear encounters, food, trash, and similar items must not be stored outside the cabins or in vehicles within one-half mile of Garnet.
5. Inside the cabins please store food in either the rodent-proof container or in the refrigerator. Mice and other rodents are common in Garnet.
6. During the winter cabin rental season, wheeled vehicles may not be driven to Garnet. However, you may see the vehicles of a landowner who lives above Garnet. That property owner has the right to drive through Garnet.
7. Camping is prohibited within one-half mile of Garnet.
8. Personal belongings (including firearms, coolers, clothes, etc) are to be kept inside the cabins.
9. Pets are acceptable inside facilities as long as they do not damage property and are not left unattended.
10. The permittee shall pack out and dispose of refuse resulting from personal use, including waste materials, garbage, and rubbish of all kinds.
11. Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
12. Garnet is a no-shooting area.
13. Some private land exist within and adjoining Garnet. Ownership maps and signs are provided to assist you in locating property. Please respect private property by not trespassing.
14. Please notify the BLM of any hazards or maintenance needs but shall make no repairs, alterations, improvements or additions to the premises.
15. The permittee will maintain improvements in as good of condition as received for use and shall supply and replace any articles that may be destroyed broken or lost with articles of a like kind and of equal value.
16. Any damage to the premises and/or lands resulting from neglect or action of the permittee or permittee’s group shall be repaired at the permittee’s expense.
17. The permittee assumes normal risks associated with hazards common to the area.
Items Provided at the Rental Cabin
- Rodent-proof can
- Firewood and ax
- Water containers
- Two-burner propane cook stove
- Wood-burning heat stove
- Fire extinguisher and smoke alarm
- First Aid kit
- Propane light
- Table and chairs
- Broom and dust pan
- Snow shovel
- Dish pan, drying rack and drainer
- Frying pans, pots and kettle
- Plates, bowls, cups, glasses
Silverware, can opener, basic utensils
Suggested Items to Bring
- Cabin combination and permit!
- Food and beverage
- Warm clothing
- Sleeping bags
- Emergency shelter
- Sharp knife
- Storm gear
- Dish soap and sponge
- Ski repair items
- Snowmobile repair items
- Garbage bags
- Specific first aid or medical supplies