Established in 1883, the Henneberry homestead is one of the best preserved examples of early homesteading activities that remain on public lands in Beaverhead County. The house, built in 1905, is located 14 miles south of Dillon, Montana, and sits on the bank of the Beaverhead River.
The cabin and surrounding lands, which are owned by the Bureau of Land Management, provide access to a variety of outdoor recreational activities on adjacent public lands.
Beginning Nov. 12, 2013, the cabin is available year-round for a maximum stay of 4 nights.
The rental fee is $75 per night.
Permits for the cabin are issued to anyone 18 years or older.
Check-in and check-out time is 2 PM.
A minimum 3-week advance booking is suggested.
To reserve the cabin, call the BLM's Dillon Field Office at (406) 683-8000. Payment can be made by check, cash or credit card.
The cabin sleeps a maximum of 8 people on 2 queen size-fold out futons, and two bunks. Bedding is not provided. The cabin is equipped with lights, a propane stove/oven, a small refrigerator, wood cook stove, outhouse, and basic cooking and eating utensils. No potable water is available. Firewood and propane are provided.
Access to the cabin is a short distance off I-15 south of Dillon. From Dillon, take the Dalys exit (#51) and turn left underneath the interstate, then right on the frontage road approximately 1/4 mile to an access gate and parking area on your left.
You will need a combination to open the locked gate (provided when you reserve the cabin), and should lock the gate behind you to prevent other unauthorized vehicle use on this road. From here, the cabin is only 1/4 mile ahead on a lightly-maintained gravel road. A high-clearance vehicle is recommended. During winter and wet weather, the road may be impassable. Parking is available at the cabin for up to 2 vehicles. Overflow parking is available at the gate approximately 1/4 mile from the cabin. Because your permit is non-refundable, we suggest you be prepared to access the cabin on foot if necessary.
- No grazing of livestock, and no horses permitted below the locked, gated access to the cabin.
- No game carcasses in the cabin, on the porch, or within 500 yards of the cabin.
- Do not clean fish or game in or near the cabin.
- Renters are limited to one reservation per 30 day period, not to exceed 4 consecutive nights.
- An additional charge will be made to renters if the cabin is not left clean for the next renter.
- No garbage service is provided — PLEASE PACK OUT ALL TRASH!
Renters need to bring:
- Dishes (basic dishes, pots, pans and utensils are provided)
- Table and Chairs
- Cleaning supplies (mops, brooms, etc)
- Propane BBQ Grill (with propane)
- Small propane refrigerator
- Wood heat
- Solar powered lights
- Propane cook stove (external tank)
- Misc. (toilet paper, fire starter, matches, etc.)