Wild Horse & Burro Adoption Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have no prior conviction for inhumane treatment of animals or for violation of the Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act
- Have adequate feed, water and facilities to provide humane care for the number of animals requested
- Provide a home for the adopted animal in the United States until you receive a Certificate of Title from the BLM
Facility Requirements (Temporary Contained Area to Gentle Animal):
Corral, Stall, Paddock, Barn, Etc. **
- Minimum of 400 square feet, 20’ x 20’, per animal.
- Suitable materials: pipe panels, wood posts, planks (min. 1.5” thick), horse fence (“v mesh” or 2” x 4” square). No stranding, electric materials, or barbed wire.
- 5 foot high for yearling or gentled horse of any age.
- 6 foot high for ungentled horse two years or older.
- Access to a two-sided shelter within the facility space.
** Facility approval is not based on FENCE height, but the height of the temporary contained area.
- Stock trailers only
- Covered roof
- Non-skid floor
- Swing gate
- No Drop Ramps
Printable Adoption Form
Print this form and fill in the required information
Visit the National BLM Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Page for more information