White Knob Mining District
Significant copper deposits were first discovered in the White Knob Mountains in 1879 and by 1884, the White Knob Area was being developed into one of the largest copper producers in Idaho. The tram towers here, from the early 1900s, were part of an aerial tram system in the White Knob Mining District used to carry ore over four miles down the mountain to the smelter and blast furnaces from the Empire Mine to the railroad. This historic mining complex contains a railroad grade, industrial mining buildings and features, adits and ruins of miner’s residences. Recent work has restored the tram towers and railroad trestle.
Location: Four miles south of Mackay, Idaho.
Facilities/ Fees: None