There are two ways to adopt a Wild Horse or Burro - in person or online. For online adoptions, please visit: Internet Adoption If you are having trouble viewing the site, and use Internet Explorer, your browser may need to be updated. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, under Security, make sure that the following check boxes are selected - Use SSL 2.0, Use SSL 3.0, Use TLS 1.0. Click Apply, Click OK.
For more information, click here for a list of FAQ's on Wild Horse & Burro Adoption.
(all are 8.5x11 pictures in pdf files unless otherwise marked)
|Edinburgh, IN||563kb (pdf)||September 19-20, 2014|
|Unadilla, GA||486kb (pdf)||October 17-18, 2014|
|Nevada, MO||578kb (pdf)||October 31 - November 1, 2014|
|Harrisonburg, VA||539kb (pdf)||November 14-15, 2014|
Minimum Adoption Requirements
You can fill this in online and print it!
Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
Applicant must have access to a corral and shelter that meets the following criteria:
- Corral - at least 400 sq feet per animal (20x20), made from metal pipe or 2x6 planks, at least 5 ft high for yearlings and burros, 6 ft high for horses 2 yrs and older. Corral MUST be directly attached to a shelter.
- Shelter - at least 144 sq feet per animal (12x12), with at least 3 sides and a roof. Shelters can be stalls with direct outside access to corral, run in sheds, etc.
- Covered stock trailer, with a solid top, swinging rear gate, and enough room inside for the animal(s) to turn around. BLM will not load divided two-horse or drop-ramp trailers.
Applicant must draw their corral and shelter, and a map to the location where the animal will be kept, and submit the application to BLM for approval. Applications can be downloaded from PDF file at the top of page.
Once you have completed the application packet, you may:
- Mail or Fax your application to the appropriate Field Office.
- Hand deliver your application to BLM at an upcoming adoption site.
Upon receipt of your application, BLM will call you to discuss your facility information. Incomplete applications cannot beapproved. Applications can be approved on Friday before an adoption at the satellite location, during the Friday preview times. If the facility meets all the requirements. For more information about facility requirements, visit the National Wild Horse and Burro Web site.
Cash, personal check, or money order is accepted for payment of adoption fees. An adoption fee is only required when adopting an animal!
History of the Wild Horse and Burro Program
Upcoming Adoptions in Eastern States
(click to get details & directions):
09/19 - 09/20/2014: Edinburgh, Indiana
10/07 - 10/21/2014: Internet
10/17 - 10/18/2014: Unadilla, Georgia
10/31 - 11/01/2014: Nevada, Missouri
11/04 - 11/18/2014: Internet
11/14 - 11/15/2014: Harrisonburg, Virginia
Click here for National Wild Horse & Burro Adoption Information