BLM Issues Interim Final Rule Regarding Place Mining Claim Maintenance Fees
Notice to Claimants regarding Maintenance Fee
The current assessment year began on September 1, 2013, for the 2014 assessment year.
Lode Claims, Mill Sites, and Tunnel Sites
- The annual maintenance fees for mining claims, due to BLM on or before September 1, 2014, for the 2015 assessment year, are $140 per claim.
- New mining claims located on or after September 1, 2013, will cost $194 to record with BLM. This includes $34 location fee, $140 maintenance fee, and $20 processing fee.
Placer Claims -
- The annual maintenance fees for mining claims, due to BLM on or before September 1, 2014, for the 2015 assessment year, are $140 for every 20 acres or portion thereof contained in the claim.
- New mining claims located on or after July 27, 2012, includes a $34 location fee, $140 maintenance fee for every 20 acres or portion thereof contained in the claim, and $20 processing fee.
|Number of acres in the claim||Maintenance Fee Payment Due Per Claim|
< = 20 acres
> 20 acres but < = 40 acres
> 40 acres but < = 60 acres
> 60 acres but < = 80 acres
> 80 acres but < = 100 acres
> 100 acres but < = 120 acres
> 120 acres but < = 140 acres
> 140 acres but < = 160 acres
> 160 acres
Contact the BLM
Legend: > means greater than; < means less than; = means equal to
Every year, mining claimants must file either a Maintenance Fee or a Maintenance Fee Waiver Certificate (Waiver).
Additionally, if you file a Waiver you must also file an Affidavit of Performance of Annual Labor or a Notice of Intent to Hold. We recommend that you file the Waiver at the same time you file either the Affidavit or the Notice.
Waivers must be filed on or before September 1, 2014. Waivers are also filed in advance of the current assessment year. Processing fees are not required for filing a Waiver. For additional Waiver information see 43 CFR 3835. To qualify for a Waiver, claimants must meet the following conditions:
- Hold or control no more then 10 mining claims, mill sites or tunnel sites nationwide;
- File Form 3830-2, Maintenance Fee Waiver Certification with BLM that includes name, address and original signatures of all owners. Also list claim names and serial numbers;
- Complete the assessment work for the current assessment year prior to September 1st. A Waiver requested by September 1st necessitates filing a Notice of Intent to Hold by December 30th, and an Affidavit of Assessment Work by December 30th. The processing fee is $10 per claim.
Additionally, file a Proof of Labor or Notice of Intent to Hold with the respective County Recorder's Office where the claims are located.
Mining claimants are responsible for filing paperwork on time. Documents may be sent by certified mail or express mail to ensure delivery. The BLM processes a large volume of mail and cannot provide information on the status of documents which have been submitted. Ordinarily, you will receive a receipt from the BLM within 7 to 14 days. If you have not received your receipt, you may want to check with the bank to ensure your check has cleared.
Filings postmarked after September 1, 2014 will not be accepted. Mail filings to:
Bureau of Land Management
Eastern States Office
7450 Boston Blvd.
Springfield, VA 22153