The Canyon Pintado Historic District includes hundreds of archeological sites, most deriving from the Fremont culture (ca.100-1300 AD) and Ute occupations (ca. 1300-1881) of Douglas Creek Canyon. The name “Cañon Pintado,” meaning painted canyon, comes from the 1776 Dominguez-Escalante expedition, the first EuroAmerican expedition to traverse the canyon.
Seven interpreted archeological locations in Canyon Pintado and four on the Dragon Trail are available to the public as recreation areas. Each are highlighted on the downloadable map and brochure (see right column) with additional information provided at site interpretation panels.
The East Four-Mile Draw Recreation Site within the Canyon Pintado Historic District features a shaded picnic area, a restroom, and a trail loop from which one can see such archeological sites: a line shack related to early ranching in the area and multiple rock art sites, including the Sun Dagger Site.