Tips for Travelers
For your comfort and safety while driving the tour consider these tips:
Trailers and motorhomes are not recommended on Phantom Canyon and Shelf Road because these are narrow, winding, one-lane mountain roads.
Be sure to have enough gas, water, and other necessities to make it from one Byway community to another.
- Know the weather forecast for the day and be prepared for sudden changes. You may experience elevation changes of 5,000 feet during during the tour.
- Steep canyons along the Byway are subject to flash flooding from heavy rainfall. If you are caught in a flash flood, climb to high ground to stay dry.
- Do not enter abandoned mine sites. They contain loose rocks, rotting timbers and deep shafts.
- To avoid injury and illegal trespass, stay away from active mining sites.
- Pull completely off the road when you stop to take pictures, view wildlife, or enjoy the scenery.