Photograph of Colorado Mountain Range
Mesa Autumn Wild Horses oil_rig_OG Boaters Photograph of Ruin
BLM>Colorado>Field Offices>Kremmling>Recreation
Print Page
Kinney Creek OHV

Some of the routes within the Kremmling Field Office offer OHV recreational opportunities. These opportunities range from single track, ATV trails, technical 4WD routes, and even open sand dunes! The elevation starts at just above 6,700 feet and extends up to above 10,000 feet. You may find yourself riding in the sagebrush watching the antelope roam, or climbing a steep mountain trail to find a moose in your path, or maybe you will hear the wide open dunes call your name. Please limit you use of routes when wet to prevent damage to roads and trails.

Respect other users: A variety of recreation opportunities occur on public lands. The area is open to hunting late August through mid December.

Off-highway vehicle (OHV) designations on BLM administered public lands are made through the land use planning process. The 3 types of OHV designations are: Open, Limited, and Closed. Be sure to check to determine which areas are available for OHV use.

Open - off-road use is allowed, as long as it does not result in significant, undue damage to or disturbance of soil, wildlife, wildlife habitat, improvements, cultural, or vegetative resources, or other authorized uses of the public lands.

Limited - vehicle use is restricted as defined in the appropriate land use plan. Limitations could include such designations as "limited to existing roads and trails," "limited to designated roads and trails," or seasonal limitations such as "no vehicle use during elk calving season").

Closed - motorized vehicle use is not allowed


  • All OHVs being operated on public lands must meet State requirements
  • Travel only where motorized vehicles are permitted 
  • Avoid wet and muddy roads and trails
  • Do not spook or harass wildlife or animals grazing on public lands
  • Leave gates the way you found them (look for signs showing closure dates)

OHV REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:   All OHVs on public lands must be registered. Colorado residents must register their OHV with the state. Out of state OHV Registrations are no longer valid in Colorado.  Out of state residents must have a Non-Resident OHV Permit or Colorado OHV Registration with them while riding their OHV's on public lands in Colorado.  OHV registrations can be purchased through the Colorado State Parks Office (Denver) 303-791-1920. 

Route Designations & Limitations

Kinney Creek Road #2755- Road Closure 4/15 to 6/1

McQueary Creek Road #2756- Road Closure Labor Day to 6/1