Included among the various inter-related BLM travel and transportation management planning activities are the following:
- Depicting the principal transportation infrastructure (road and trail systems) needed to properly manage BLM-administered lands and uses;
- Targeting desired system outcomes, prescribes settings needed to produce them, and how management will achieve both;
- Identifying all existing and planned access motorized and non-motorized routes and areas;
- Identifying needed improvements and maintenance to those routes and areas; and
- Addressing BLM, state, and local administrative actions required to provide access to BLM public lands.
Management Plans (TMPs) for their respective management areas, as part of Resource Management Plans (RMPs); revisions or amendments to existing RMPs; and activity plans created to manage a single resource area or issue.
BLM’s Washington Office travel management program provides direction, oversight, and assistance to travel and transportation planners working on TMPs in BLM’s State and Field Offices. The national office also provides outreach to various stakeholders affected by BLM transportation and travel planning – such as road and trail users, recreation advocacy organizations, and property owners – and manages partnerships with motorized and non-motorized use recreation advocacy organizations, as well as with other federal agencies.
Travel Management Inventory
Baseline information that is gathered at the beginning of travel and transportation analysis includes inventory of existing roads, primitive roads, and trails managed for all uses. Inventories include maps, as well as information on the current authorized uses and characteristics of each road, primitive road and trail. Click here
for BLM’s Comprehensive Travel and Transportation Management Inventory Guide
(2,637 KB .PDF).
BLM Travel & Transportation Management Plans
Following is a list of links to certain BLM travel and transportation management plans that are available electronically. All files are in .PDF format (note: some of these documents are very lengthy). Planning acronym key: DR (Decision Record); EA (Environmental Assessment); FONSI (Finding of No Significant Impact); and ROD (Record of Decision).