THE SURVEY IS EXECUTED
The object of a resurvey is twofold (Manual of Surveying Instructions, 1973).
It is to provide:
- Adequate protection for existing rights
- Proper marking of the boundaries of the remaining public lands
Proper execution of a resurvey is to"follow the footsteps" of the previous survey. Location the footsteps is an art not easily mastered and involves.
- Knowledge and proficiency
- Interpretation of recorded field notes and plats for essential information.
- Evidence gathering, which requires
- (1) diplomatic interviewing skills
- (2) keen observations of manmade physical changes which were intended for the purpose of location or preserving the position of the property line
Confident and logical interpretation for facts and data obtained assist in the determination or perpetuation of the property line.