About BLM Colorado's Wildland Fire Program
During Colorado's fire season, which is typically May through September, BLM engines and crews are staffed five to seven days a week. Crews are staffed in staggered shifts to provide full-time coverage. In addition to the agencies’ regular initial attack forces, BLM Colorado also hosts a 20-person interagency hotshot crew based in Craig, which is available nationally. Other resources include a Type-3 helicopter in Rifle and a seven-person Unaweep Wildland Fire Module in Grand Junction.
Annually, the BLM completes about 15,000 acres of fuels reduction projects in the state. Colorado focuses its fuels reduction efforts on areas near communities known as the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI). About 68 percent of the acres treated for fuels reduction in Colorado are focused within the WUI. The remaining 32 percent of fuels work is designed to enhance and sustain healthy ecosystems.
Between fire seasons, BLM Colorado devotes staff and resources to rehabilitating burned landscapes, reseeding vegetation, protecting watershed quality and preventing the spread of noxious weeds following severe wildfires.
Throughout the year, the BLM also helps Colorado counties complete wildfire protection plans by offering technical expertise and assistance agreements. The BLM and its cooperators have completed several hundred community-based, interagency educational workshops to support community wildfire preparedness, planning, and hazard mitigation.
Fire units in the state include:
• Northwest Colorado Interagency Fire Management Unit – Craig
• Upper Colorado River Interagency Fire Management Unit – Grand Junction
• Montrose Interagency Fire Management Unit – Montrose
• Front Range Interagency Fire – Canon City
• San Luis Valley Field Office – Monte Vista
• San Juan Public Lands Center – Durango