Oil and Gas Leasing in California
Program Statistics - FY 2005
Total number of Leases
Total acres under lease
Federal oil production (barrels)
Federal gas production (thousand cubic feet)
Total revenues (royalty, bonus, and rents)
California Oil and Gas Highlights
1. California is the 3rd largest onshore producer of oil from Federal lands.
2. California is the largest producer of heavy oil in the US. Over 85% of production averages 13 API* gravity (or greater).
3. About 66% of California oil and gas production is from enhanced recovery, with the majority of that production coming from steam injection.
4. There are six super-giant fields in California which have already produced over 1 billion barrels of oil:
- Elk Hills
- Kern River
- South Belridge
* American Petroleum Institute (API)