"Test Your Knowledge" Challenge Quiz:
Each correct answer is worth 1 point. Add up your total to find out "How Seabird Safe Am I?" Click on your answer for each question.
- 8-10 points = Congratulations!! You are seabird safe!
- 5-7 points = Awesome! You know a lot about being seabird safe.
- 3-4 points = Keep at it! You are on your way to being seabird safe.
- 0-2 points = Try again. Please continue learning more about being seabird safe.
1. Which seabird stands on its eggs to incubate them?
Pigeon Guillemot Brown Pelican Pelagic Cormorant
2. Which seabird can scale vertical rock cliff faces by flapping its wings and using the sharp claws on its webbed feet?
Pigeon Guillemot Brown Pelican Brandt's Cormorant
3. How far back should you stay from seabirds?
500 feet 1000 feet 10000 feet
4.Which behavior may indicate that you are too close to seabirds?
head bobbing feeding grooming
5. Which seabird uses its chisel-like beak to open shells?
Brandt's Cormorant Western Gull Black Oystercatcher
6. Human disturbances of seabirds can cause ________ .
feeding grooming eggs to fall
7. Human disturbances of seabirds can also cause ________ .
nest abandonment increased reproduction loss of feathers
8. True or False: Dogs off-leash or too close to seabirds can cause a seabird disturbance.
9. True or False: A single human-caused seabird disturbance could cause nest abandonment.
10. True or False: Repeated human disturbances cause seabirds to become comfortable with being close to humans.
<< Click Here for Answer Key to Challenge Quiz >>
SORRY, INCORRECT = NO POINT
CORRECT! = 1 POINT
"Be Seabird Safe" Pledge:
I, [your name here] , pledge to be seabird safe by knowing where seabirds roost and nest on California's coast. I pledge to stay 1000 feet back from roosting and nesting seabirds on the beach or on the ocean. I pledge to stay off their near-shore rocks at low tide and be careful when hiking coastal trails. I pledge to learn more about seabirds and their role in the ecosystem. I pledge to be aware of how my actions at home can protect seabirds and other wildlife by reducing my consumption of plastics and by recycling. I will be seabird safe!
ANSWER KEY TO CHALLENGE QUIZ:
- Brown Pelican
- Pigeon Guillemot
- 1000 feet
- head bobbing
- Black Oystercatcher
- eggs to fall
- nest abandonment