Outdoor enthusiasts can learn about the fascinating natural resources of the Lost Coast, from giant redwoods to tiny insects, in a series of free guided hikes to be offered over the next five months by the Bureau of Land Management and Sanctuary Forest.
For detailed information about each outing, directions to meeting areas, and to reserve space (reservations are required), participants should call the Hike Line: (707) 986-5415.
- Invasive Plants of the Lost Coast: Saturday, May 8, 10 a.m. to 1p.m. The moderate hike leaves from the BLM King Range Office in Whitethorn.
- Wildflower Photography: Sunday, May 9, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet at Ancestor Grove and carpool to Sinkyone Wilderness State Park for the easy walk.
- Tidepools and Seaweed Discovery: Saturday, May 29, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., at Mal Coombs Park in Shelter Cove. It’s an easy walk, but be prepared to get wet.
- Birds of the Lost Coast: Saturday, June 12, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Participants will meet at Ancestor Grove and carpool to Sinkyone Wilderness State Park. The hike is moderately strenuous.
- The Secret Life of Insects: Saturday, June 19, 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at the Hidden Valley Trailhead in the King Range National Conservation Area for a moderate hike.
- The Coast’s Cultural History: Saturday, July 17, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Participants will meet at the Mattole Campground for a rigorous walk with a BLM archaeologist to Punta Gorda.
- Rising Moon, Setting Sun: Saturday, July 24, 4 to 11:30 p.m. Participants will meet at the King Range Office and carpool to the Lightning Trailhead for a strenuous King Peak hike.
- Big Red (Ancient Redwoods): Saturday, July 31, 9 a.m. to noon. The rigorous hike begins at Ancestor Grove.
- Map and Compass Skills: Saturday, Aug. 14, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The moderate hike begins at the Hidden Valley Trailhead in the King Range NCA.
- Forestry Practices: Saturday, Aug. 21, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The moderate outing takes place on Humboldt Redwood Co. land. The meeting point will be announced.
- Streamflows and Fish: Saturday, Sept. 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Participants will meet at Shadowbrook in the Whitethorn area for a moderate hike. Participants might get wet.
- Mattole Water Projects Tour: Saturday, Sept. 25 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Hikers will meet at the Sanctuary Forest Office in Whitethorn for an easy walk.
Organizers will provide more information and answer questions during a call-in radio program, Thursday, April 29, at 7 p.m. on KMUD community radio in Redway (91.1 FM).