For Release: Jan. 21, 2009
Contact: David Christy (916) 985-4474
BLM Releases Draft Plan for Carrizo Plain National Monument
The Bureau of Land Management has released for public review and comment a draft resource management plan/draft environmental impact statement for about 206,000 acres of public lands in the Carrizo Plain National Monument administered by the agency’s Bakersfield Field Office.
The draft RMP provides management guidance for public lands in San Luis Obispo and Kern counties.
BLM will conduct three meetings in Central California to gather comments on the draft plan and EIS.
"The plan contains a range of management alternatives developed in cooperation with our managing partners - The Nature Conservancy and the California Department of Fish and Game - the Monument Advisory Committee and the public," said Johna Hurl, monument manager. The primary issues addressed include: recreation; protection of sensitive natural and cultural resources; livestock grazing; guidance for energy and mineral development; motorized vehicle route designation.
To ensure that they will be considered, BLM must receive written comments on the draft RMP/EIS by April 23. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 661-301-6143
- Mail: CPNM RMP, Bureau of Land Management, 3801 Pegasus Drive, Bakersfield CA
- At a public meeting
Public meetings will be held:
- Feb. 24 at the BLM Bakersfield Field Office, 3801 Pegasus Drive. The office is approximately one mile east of Highway 99 off the Porterville/Sequoia exit turn-off on Highway 65. The meeting will begin at 5 p.m. and finish at 7 p.m.
- Feb. 25 at the San Luis Obispo Library, 1341 Nipomo St. The library is less than one mile east of Highway 101 off the Osos exit. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. and finish at 8 p.m.
- March 7 at the Carrisa Plains School on Hwy 58. The school is located approximately one mile west of Soda Lake road on Hwy 58. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. and finish at noon.
Individuals who plan to attend and need special assistance such as sign language interpretation or other reasonable accommodations should contact Carrizo RMP Line (661) 391-6034. You may also call that number for additional information on the RMP.
Copies of the document have been mailed to requesters. Additionally, printed or compact disc copies can be obtained by contacting the Carrizo RMP line. The documents are also posted on the Internet at http://www.blm.gov/ca/bakersfield/carrizo/2009DraftRMP
For further information, call the Carrizo RMP Line (661) 391-6034.