California Campfire Permits

Camper enjoying a nice fire.If you create a campfire of any kind on lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service, California Department of Forestry, and Fire Protection, or National Park Service, you will need a campfire permit.

Campfire permits are free of charge, and may be obtained from any Bureau of Land Management office in California.  We now have a link for your convenience to obtain a campfire permit online:  ""  To obtain National Park Service (NPS) campfire permits, contact the NPS you plan on visiting.  You may also obtain campfire permits from any of the following agencies:

 Additional Information
  1. On private land you must have written permission from the landowner for campfire use.
  2. Many high-country areas prohibit wood fires to protect scarce vegetation.
  3. If you smoke outside a vehicle, be sure you do so within a cleared area at least 3 feet in diameter.