A respite from the modern world, complete with historic architecture and abundant natural life, awaits visitors to the California Coast at the Piedras Blancas Light Station Outstanding Natural Area.
Built in 1875 as a safety aid to mariners, the light station once cast a flashing, oil-flame light 25 miles out to sea, warning ship captains to steer clear of the white rocks, or Piedras Blancas in Spanish, that would mean certain doom for a vessel.
Today, the light station, its first order lens and light structure long ago removed, casts a beacon to travelers on scenic California Highway 1. It continues to provide a navigational aid to ship traffic, as well. Visits to the light station are by guided tour only, conducted by the Bureau of Land Management, its volunteers and partners.