Redding Field Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Hunting and Shooting
Land Exchange
Wild Horse

BLM manages 250,000 acres of public land in the Redding Field Office.  Users must ensure that they are on public land since much of this acreage is intermingled with private property. Nearly all accessible public land is open to camping for up to 14 days per year.  Exceptions are day use areas and most trailheads and parking lots, e.g. Jellys Ferry, Lower Clear Creek, the Sacramento River Rail Trail and Reading Island or areas closed for safety or environmental concerns.  Camping Limits

How many developed campgrounds does BLM have in the Redding area?
Four: The Shasta Campground, $10 per night, is located below Shasta Dam and adjacent to the Chappie-Shasta OHV Staging Area.  There are three developed campgrounds in the Trinity River Area: Douglas City, $10 per night, open May 15 - October 31 (weather permitting), Junction City, at $10 per night, open May 15 - November 30 (weather permitting), and Steel Bridge, open mid-May until winter weather forces closure at $5 per night.  Primiteve camping can be found at the Forks of Butte Creek in Butte County and at Steiner Flat near Douglas City in Trinity County.  Check out the camping page for more detailed information.

Can you camp at Reading Island?
Yes.  Camping is available for "groups" only, the cost is $100 per night, or $5 per person, whichever is greater. Download the permit application packet for Reading Island.

Can I camp on BLM for free?
Yes.  You can camp on BLM land for free up to 14 days per calendar year.  Some areas are closed to camping, such as developed day use areas, parking lots and some other areas that are posted as closed to camping. 

For more information on camping within the Redding resource area
Back to Top

The Redding Field Office at 6640 Lockheed Drive, Redding, CA 96002 (Phone: 530/224-2100) sells 1:100,000 scale maps that show BLM ownership as well as other ownerships. The maps are $4.00 each. Topographic maps, both 7.5 and 15 minute scales, are available at many local sporting goods stores and drafting supply stores in Redding.    Click here for downloadable trail maps.  Back to Top

Hunting and Shooting
Hunting is allowed on most public land unless posted as closed, e.g. hiking trails, developed recreation areas and safety zones near housing.  Access may be limited by privately owned lands.  Permission from the landowner will be required in these cases.  Game species found on BLM lands include quail, deer, waterfowl, dove, pig, bear and turkey.  Seasons, closures, limits and other regulations are specified by the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG).  For information about hunting regulations and Tehama Wildlife Area, contact the Regional Office at 601 Locust Street P.O Box 1480 Redding, CA 96001 (530) 225-2300 or go to the DFG website. The Redding Field Office at 355 Hemsted Drive, Redding, CA 96002 (Phone: 530/224-2100) sells 1:100,000 scale maps that show BLM ownership as well as other ownerships. The maps are $4.00 each. Topographic maps, both 7.5 and 15 minute scales, are available at many local sporting goods stores and drafting supply stores in Redding. 

Target shooting is available near Redding, 3 miles North of Keswick along Iron Mountain Road, and at the Spring Branch Road shooting area off of Jellys Ferry Road in Tehama County. Please use paper targets and pick up your trash when you leave.

Where can I hunt on BLM land?
You can hunt most of the BLM land in the Redding area.
Some restrictions are:

1.  Land inside the city limits of Redding (closed by local authority).

2.  Some areas along the Clear Creek Greenway and The Horsetown Clear Creek preserve (an agreement is currently in effect with this preserve to close hunting in the area).

3.  Land posted with no hunting signs by BLM.

4.  Developed recreation facilities (some examples are campgrounds, parking lots and boat ramps).

5.  All state and local laws apply.
Back to Top

Public lands are no longer open to homesteading.  The Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976 repealed the homestead laws in all states except Alaska which was closed to homesteading in 1986.  Many parcels of public land are, however, available for acquisition within the Redding Field Office.  These lands were determined surplus to Federal needs in 1993 and are being disposed via exchange (at fair market value) to acquire private lands in important areas for the public.
Back to Top

Is Chappie-Shasta OHV area made of decomposed granite?
No.  The area is rocky and extremely rough.

How many acres is the Chappie-Shasta OHV area?
55,000 Total
20,000 Private
35,000 BLM
How many miles of roads/trails are there?
There are roughly 200 miles of roads/trails.

Do vehicles have to be "stickered"?
Yes, all motorized vehicles must be legal for highway use or be legal for off highway use.  There are two different stickers (red and green) both stickers cost $21 for 2 years. These stickers can be obtained from the DMV.  A green sticker is for off-highway vehicles that meet EPA standards.  A red sticker is for OHVs that do not meet EPA standards, but have restricted seasons of use.  The period of use for Chappie-Shasta is from October 1st to May 31st

Are there any campgrounds at the Chappie-Shasta OHV area?
Yes.  There is one campground there, $10 per night.  There are 22 sites with tables.  There are no electrical hookups, water is available in the staging area, and there are a couple of sets of vault toilets.

The legal minimum age to ride an OHV is 16 years of age.  The same law applies to personal water craft.
For more information check out the Chappie-Shasta OHV Area page.
Back to Top


See the BLM State Office Mining and Minerals page for information about filing a mining claim in California.

Back to Top

Land Exchange
Is there any BLM land for sale?
BLM does not sell land outright.  Land is exchanged at fair market value, not acre for acre.  BLM tends to use a third party organization to do large land exchanges (it costs the same whether a quarter of an acre is exchanged or a quarter of a million acres is exchanged).  If you are interested in a particular piece of land please write a letter to our office and give the township, range and section of the land, or your best description of the land.  Maps are available that show which lands are available for exchange and where BLM wishes to acquire lands.

What are Master Title Plats, Surveys and Field Notes
Master Title Plats:
show ownership of parcels of property in a Township.  MTP's show which parcels are private and which parcels are public.  They also show case files numbers, Ditches and Canals and lots of other important information.
Field Notes: are the written descriptions of the work that is done in the field.  The field notes describe trees, creeks trails and other things seen while surveying.
Surveys: are the "maps" that are drawn using the Field Notes when you return to the office.
Back to Top

Wild Horse and Burro
Wild horses and burros are available for adoption using silent auction bidding.  If a horse or burro is not adopted during the auction, they will be available for $125 on a first come first served basis.  There are several restrictions, these are a few:
Must be 18 years of age.
Must be US resident.
Must not have a conviction for inhumane treatment of animals.
Must have adequate facilities for the animal or arrangements for the animal to be taken care of.

Click here to visit the California Wild Horse and Burro page.