The barren hills in the Mecca Hills Wilderness Area create an interesting pattern across this desert landscape.
Desert cactus in bloom Dos Palmas Windmills at the base of the Santa Rosa Mountains Firefighter working a prescribed burn Bighorn Sheep
BLM>California>Palm Springs-South Coast>OHV Riding Opportunities - Riverside County
Print Page
Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office

Road Conditions

As of February 1, 2014:  the road damage that was due to the autumn and winter rains has been (for the most part) repaired.  Many roads that were closed have been declared open by the County of Riverside Department of Transportation, which is the agency that maintains these roads.

Please be aware that desert weather changes can be sudden and unpredictable.  Stay aware and stay safe!

Link to Riverside County Department of Transportation Road Closures information: 

Link to CalTrans Highway Information webpage:

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Riding Opportunities
BLM Lands in Riverside County

Map of the Overview of the OHV Area for Riverside County cannot be made fully Section 508 compliant. For help with its data or information, please contact the Bureau of Land Management, Palm Springs – South Coast Field Office at (760) 833-7100 and reference the Overview Map of the OHV Area for Riverside County.

 Map of the Overview of the OHV Area for Riverside County cannot be made fully Section 508 compliant. For help with its data or information, please contact the Bureau of Land Management, Palm Springs – South Coast Field Office at (760) 833-7100 and reference the Overview Map of the OHV Area for Riverside County.Inset Map 1

(Inset Map 2 coming soon)

Numerous opportunities for off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation exist in the Palm Springs-South Coast (PSSC) Field Office resource area.  Miles of trails await all types of OHV enthusiasts.  Please keep in mind that you are responsible for knowing, understanding, and complying with all OHV regulations.

The Palm Springs – South Coast Field Office supplements our program with available funding from other sources by applying for grants.   Click this link to see information about our current Fiscal Year OHV Grant application process.  

 In Riverside County, Where Can I Ride My Off-Highway Vehicle?

Desert Safety

Travel in the desert can be an adventure.  It can also be a disaster if a breakdown or sudden change in weather catches you unprepared.  Harsh weather conditions can turn a desert outing into a tragedy.  Keep in mind these tips when traveling through the desert:

  • Acquire knowledge of desert survival skills. 
  • Always carry a First Aid Kit and bring a cell phone or satellite phone if possible.
  • Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
  • Travel in pairs for safety in backcountry areas. 
  • Bring a shovel and tools in case you get stuck or your vehicle needs repairs.
  • Be prepared to spend the night if you get stranded:  bring extra food, water, and clothing.
  • If your vehicle breaks down, your chances of being found are best if you stay with your vehicle.
  • To prevent dehydration, wear layered, loose-fitting, natural fiber clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen, and minimize your exposure.  A gallon of water per person, per day, is the absolute minimum.
  • Watch yourself and others for signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

 Heat Illnesses

Exposure to excessive heat can lead to many illnesses.  All heat illnesses should be taken seriously.  The most common illnesses include heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.

The best way to treat heat illnesses is to prevent them.  Wear light colored, loose-fitting, breathable clothing such as cotton.  Avoid synthetic materials that do not breathe well.  Drink water frequently, often enough so that you never become thirsty.  Take breaks in the shade throughout the day.  Be aware that protective gear may increase the risk of heat-related illnesses.

  • Heat Cramps

Heat cramps are painful muscle spasms that occur when a person drinks plenty of water but does not replace the salts lost while sweating.  Treat heat cramps by drinking fluids with electrolytes.  If the cramps are severe or they persist, seek medical attention.

  • Heat Exhaustion

Heat exhaustion is the most common heat-related illness.  It occurs when a person does not drink enough fluids and does not replace salts.  Symptoms of heat exhaustion include heat cramps, dizziness, irritability, headache, sweaty skin, fast heart rate, nausea or vomiting, and/or weakness.  The first step to treat heat exhaustion is to get out of the heat.  If out in the desert, try to find some shade.  Drink hydrating fluids, preferably with electrolytes.  If the symptoms are severe, seek medical attention.

  • Heat Stroke

The most serious heat-related illness, heat stroke can be fatal but is not overly common.  If anyone experiences symptoms of heat stroke, get that person to a hospital immediately.  During heat stroke, the body cannot regulate its core temperature.  The person will stop sweating, which means the body cannot get rid of excess heat.  Symptoms of heat stroke include red, hot and dry skin, high temperature, confusion, fainting and convulsions.  Again, if anyone exhibits symptoms of heat stroke, get them to a hospital as soon as possible.  Call 9-1-1 and get the person to a cool place.  Wet the person with cool water and fan him or her to speed cooling.  If ice is available, place on the person’s body.

Additional resources about heat-related illnesses:

OSHA Fact Sheet

Emergency Services

If emergency services are needed, first call 911.
Riverside County Sheriff                1-800-950-2444

Indio Station
82695 Doctor Carreon Blvd.
Indio, CA 92201
(760) 863-8990



Colorado River Station
260 N. Spring Street
Blythe, CA  92225
(760) 921-7900


John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital
47111 Monroe Street
Indio, CA 92201
(760) 347-6191


Palo Verde Hospital
250 N. First Street
Blythe, CA  92225
(760) 922-4115










For wildfires and resource damage reporting:

Federal Interagency Communication Center (FICC)
602 South Tippecanoe Ave
San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 383-5652  
(888) 233-6518